Ableton vocal recording keep crackling even after increasing the buffer

vick santoz

I am using Rode NT1 and AI1 to record vocal. if i use normal recorder application, all is fine. But if i put the recording into Ableton, or if i record in Ableton directly, it keeps crackling. i have tried to increase the buffer, but it keeps happening.

Check to see if you have a VST on that channel that might be behaving badly. If your interface has software, set the buffer inside that software and not Ableton. Check also your sample rate.

Also, let us know what is your hardware, it could be you just have an old computer that won't cut it.

Check to see if you have a VST on that channel that might be behaving badly. If your interface has software, set the buffer inside that software and not Ableton. Check also your sample rate.

Also, let us know what is your hardware, it could be you just have an old computer that won't cut it.
i am using RODE set NT1 microphone and AI1 interface, it does not have a software.
on hardware, i am using XPS 13, i7, ram 16GB. should not be the problem i guess.

this is my first time using this kind of application, i haven't put any music, just recorded a vocal, and the sound keep crackling. i am so confused :(

I am using Rode NT1 and AI1 to record vocal. if i use normal recorder application, all is fine.
What do you record the vocal with?

But if i put the recording into Ableton, or if i record in Ableton directly, it keeps crackling. i have tried to increase the buffer, but it keeps happening.
If you use a powered usb hub to get your AI1 interface usb into the computer it will clean up the audio.

The AI-1 is a class compliant device so does not use custom written drivers. It's possible Reaper is trying to use the wrong driver. Does it show up in reaper as the AI-1 driver - it's possible your computer is misreading what is connected.

To check - download Audacity, a recoding DAW that is free. Install it and then see if it also records with the crackling. If it does - then your computer just isn't happy with the Rode interface, which isn't that popular an interface as it's a bit expensive for what it is. Mono interfaces are not really that useful - the first time you go to record a stereo synth or need to use two mics, you will be annoyed.

If Audacity works click free - then it's an internal Reaper issue and I'm not a Reaper expert,

The AI-1 is a class compliant device so does not use custom written drivers. It's possible Reaper is trying to use the wrong driver. Does it show up in reaper as the AI-1 driver - it's possible your computer is misreading what is connected.

To check - download Audacity, a recoding DAW that is free. Install it and then see if it also records with the crackling. If it does - then your computer just isn't happy with the Rode interface, which isn't that popular an interface as it's a bit expensive for what it is. Mono interfaces are not really that useful - the first time you go to record a stereo synth or need to use two mics, you will be annoyed.

If Audacity works click free - then it's an internal Reaper issue and I'm not a Reaper expert,
Hi Rob, i have tried using audacity, and it is all fine. Even my recording is fine once i exported it out. the only problem was when i opened my recording directly in ableton.

Looks like it does have ASIO drivers: https://www.rode.com/microphones/studio/nt1-ai1kit#module_9 , if you haven't already done so, install the interface drivers, then in Ableton select these drivers.

From what you hve on your hardware setup, that should not be an issue. Try the ASIO drivers see if that corrects the problem.
i just downloaded asio drivers for rode. though i'm confused now because it has no output setting, and no sound comes out if I play sound in ableton.

Attachments

• 1631637833249.png
    1631637833249.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 3
if I use directX (driver in my laptop), i can choose input and output device, and the sound comes out

Attachments

• 1631640223697.png
    1631640223697.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
Once you selected your driver, did you go in and configure the inputs and the outputs (input config and output config)? Once you have ASIO, the options becomes more configurable.

These are the windows pop up when i choose input config, output config, and hardware setup.

Attachments

• 1631678855926.png
    1631678855926.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 1631678871497.png
    1631678871497.png
    22 KB · Views: 7
  • 1631678887164.png
    1631678887164.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 7
Back