A Part of Love - alternative-pop-rock

Bass sounds good on 380Pros too...Love your vocals as always, Taras. Yeah, definitely don't strain yourself...blowing out your voice can lead to permanent damage and your voice is too good to lose...:) Clean, clear, everything is pronounced well. Keep up the good work.
As far as the mix, you've heard it all already. The tom hits just before the second chorus are just a tad loud (distracting) for my ears. Stereo sep on the drums is nice, but the cymbals are almost 100% panned sounding (that was covered earlier). I love a good bass tone, and this one certainly fits the bill.

Edit: Listened on the M3-8s and the bass still sounds balanced (maybe a TIC loud). Nothing I would worry about. So I'll listen on the little Rokit 5s...and strangely enough the bass is louder on the little speakers...??? Still, it's not BAD, it's just a little up. Everything else translates very nicely between all three (cans/near-field/mid-field). Sounds REALLY nice and huge with mid-and near-fields both pushing and 90+dB. :listeningmusic:

Bass sounds good on 380Pros too...Love your vocals as always, Taras. Yeah, definitely don't strain yourself...blowing out your voice can lead to permanent damage and your voice is too good to lose...:) Clean, clear, everything is pronounced well. Keep up the good work.
As far as the mix, you've heard it all already. The tom hits just before the second chorus are just a tad loud (distracting) for my ears. Stereo sep on the drums is nice, but the cymbals are almost 100% panned sounding (that was covered earlier). I love a good bass tone, and this one certainly fits the bill.

Edit: Listened on the M3-8s and the bass still sounds balanced (maybe a TIC loud). Nothing I would worry about. So I'll listen on the little Rokit 5s...and strangely enough the bass is louder on the little speakers...??? Still, it's not BAD, it's just a little up. Everything else translates very nicely between all three (cans/near-field/mid-field). Sounds REALLY nice and huge with mid-and near-fields both pushing and 90+dB. :listeningmusic:

dude, thank you so much for listening on multiple devices and giving your impressions for each. that's a huge help because i do not have these things. not sure if you remember, but i mix on Sens HD280's and use my car stereo and a gaming headset for reference. lol.

i have been going back and forth between quiet and loud (listening volumes) while mixing and trying to make sure it sounds good at both. if it sounds good quiet, it will sound good loud, i've come to find. but i still think it's important to listen loud occasionally while mixing because of the phenomenon's that occur when listening volume changes (fletcher-munson, i think it's called). i definitely hear some sounds more or less when the volume is cranked, so i'm trying to get a good balance. i do think, however, the guitars could lose a bit of top (4khz or so).

i'm not sure how to fix the cymbals issue. i don't touch their positioning, it's a straight bounce from superior drummer to my DAW. The overheads come as a single stereo track and i leave it as such in the DAW after the bounce. i'm sure, then, my stereo widener (113% for a little more separation) isn't helping. any ideas?

thanks a lot, that is such a huge help. i need to invest in monitors asap..hmmm tax return season is nearly here.

As always, good job. I think the compression fits the style of song. And the song is GREAT IMO....good job on the production and playing....I'm jealous of your talent! Sometimes the vocal does appear to be too low on the quiet parts, but I don't think that should be too difficult to fix. As always, good job.

As always, good job. I think the compression fits the style of song. And the song is GREAT IMO....good job on the production and playing....I'm jealous of your talent! Sometimes the vocal does appear to be too low on the quiet parts, but I don't think that should be too difficult to fix. As always, good job.

Hey man haven't seen ya around in awhile. Thanks for the review and kind words. I fall victim to "I know the lyrics too well from listening for so many hours" and don't realize they're too low sometimes. Thanks again

Nice song !!!
Saw your wanting to alter the drums from superior drummer,,, I see your using multi-outs, which is great,,,
What DAW so you use ?
In Studio one 3 I can separate the stereo track to two mono tracks with a click,,,

Also I have the MCDsp plugin AE400 I believe it's called, lol,,
When I run into say a loud or wild dynamics even with symbals in the 2 track mix, I use it to tame the frequencies,,,
Multiband eq compression tool and it's awesome... allows very tight que,

Nice song !!!
Saw your wanting to alter the drums from superior drummer,,, I see your using multi-outs, which is great,,,
What DAW so you use ?
In Studio one 3 I can separate the stereo track to two mono tracks with a click,,,

Also I have the MCDsp plugin AE400 I believe it's called, lol,,
When I run into say a loud or wild dynamics even with symbals in the 2 track mix, I use it to tame the frequencies,,,
Multiband eq compression tool and it's awesome... allows very tight que,

i am using Studio One 2 Pro. how do I make the stereo cymbals individual mono tracks? or at least a left and right pair? thanks for the kind words

Taras, are you leaving the drum plugin active in your final mix? If so, try pre-rendering your drum sounds to separate audio tracks. I'm not talking about a stereo or dual mono track for the whole kit, but an individual audio track for each part of the kit. You're using Superior, aren't you? With EZ Drummer, I render kick, snare top, snare bottom, and hats to individual mono tracks, toms, overhead, and room to individual stereo tracks. Easier to deal with, and my ears hear a difference in the quality of the sounds, especially when it comes to things like cymbals and decay.

Don't know how it works in your PreSonus DAW. In Reaper there is a macro that will build the routing from your plugin to individual tracks in your DAW. I'm sure your DAW must have something like that. The rendering only takes a minute, so if you decide you need to make further drum edits, it's not a big deal. Just delete the audio tracks and do it again.

Taras, are you leaving the drum plugin active in your final mix? If so, try pre-rendering your drum sounds to separate audio tracks. I'm not talking about a stereo or dual mono track for the whole kit, but an individual audio track for each part of the kit. You're using Superior, aren't you? With EZ Drummer, I render kick, snare top, snare bottom, and hats to individual mono tracks, toms, overhead, and room to individual stereo tracks. Easier to deal with, and my ears hear a difference in the quality of the sounds, especially when it comes to things like cymbals and decay.

Don't know how it works in your PreSonus DAW. In Reaper there is a macro that will build the routing from your plugin to individual tracks in your DAW. I'm sure your DAW must have something like that. The rendering only takes a minute, so if you decide you need to make further drum edits, it's not a big deal. Just delete the audio tracks and do it again.

Oh yeah, after I settle on the final drum parts (wish i knew how to save that MIDI, just in case) I bounce them all out as individual tracks to my DAW. I make busses for toms, snares, kicks, and room mics and then EQ each bus and apply compression to some of them.

The overheads come as a single track, a stereo track, when I bounce the kit out. They are the same way in the SD program. Only the snare and kick have multiple mics on them that I can manipulate individually (top snare, bottom snare, FX snare - kick in, kick out, sub kick). OH's are one stereo track.

Are building the MIDI patterns within the plugin, then? I just create a track for the MIDI in my DAW and sent its output to the plugin. After I render the audio tracks, I mute the MIDI track. It's always there if I need it again.

Or do you mean saving the kit settings and sounds in the plugin? Must be some way to save it as a preset.

Are building the MIDI patterns within the plugin, then? I just create a track for the MIDI in my DAW and sent its output to the plugin. After I render the audio tracks, I mute the MIDI track. It's always there if I need it again.

Or do you mean saving the kit settings and sounds in the plugin? Must be some way to save it as a preset.

I build it within the DAW. When I find a groove in the plug-in, I drag and drop it into the DAW track. It automatically pops up the MIDI editor with the hits displayed where I then edit them. The reason I am not able to save it is because, after I bounce it out to audio tracks, I "remove" superior drummer from my project file. This clears up processing power for me since I'm running multiple amp sims, in addition to whatever other VST's are being used.

i am using Studio One 2 Pro. how do I make the stereo cymbals individual mono tracks? or at least a left and right pair? thanks for the kind words

It's easy in Studio One 2, From the S12 Browser, Go to Files Tab, find your stereo wave file, Right click or click, and choose, split to mono files,,,
and even easier in Studio One 3,, Go to the Pool, Right Click the Stereo Track and Choose Split to mono files,,,

THen add the mono files to your song,,

As for EZD2 or SD2 I track from the multi-outs,,
I create the mulit-outs, for both midi and audio,,, they are both live, but I don't record the audio yet,, I can work the midi from inside the ToonTracks or from the S1 midi editor,,, just do not overlap the piano roll and toontracks midi,,, leave toontracks midi open where S1 has a midi track,,
Then when I'm done editing in toontracks, I'll record the audio in real time,,,
Turn off Toontracks, Hide the midi in Inspector,, Leaves the audio tracks only, and stops CPU usage from Toontracks,,

IT'a little bit of set up, works really nice though,, If I want to to edit, it's easy to recall, and let it record real quick,,, just the part, or a track or the whole thing again,,
Creative planning, case I have no idea what will be creatively sometimes,,,

The above way works great for me, and everyone I've told to set this up,,, Hard to understand at first, but really easy once you get it,,,
Also, you can save that all as a Song Preset,,, So it's faster when writing a new tune,,, Just make sure to note the midi channels if choosing another kit,,,
Most of us use one kit anyway for the most part,,,

I build it within the DAW. When I find a groove in the plug-in, I drag and drop it into the DAW track. It automatically pops up the MIDI editor with the hits displayed where I then edit them. The reason I am not able to save it is because, after I bounce it out to audio tracks, I "remove" superior drummer from my project file. This clears up processing power for me since I'm running multiple amp sims, in addition to whatever other VST's are being used.

In Studio One When I turn the VST off, then hide it, it uses no CPU, might work for you,,, Hiding the midi tracks just keeps the UI / Arrange area cleaner,,,
Also, I can turn a VST off in the Cache folder, but leaves it if needed, does Reason have that ability ?

Great song. Very pleasant and melodic....now I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if some of this is repeated.....The vocal still lacks clarity. I'm fighting to hear the words....maybe some eq, but also the way you sing into the mic. When I sing it looks like a snake eating it's prey lol. Don't be afraid of your voice..... it's good!!!!
As far as a vocal exciter goes....check youtube. There's a method on how to create your own and it works well just don't go crazy with it. Also I found the CLA vocal is amazing. Worth the investment.
Cheers

Great song. Very pleasant and melodic....now I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if some of this is repeated.....The vocal still lacks clarity. I'm fighting to hear the words....maybe some eq, but also the way you sing into the mic. When I sing it looks like a snake eating it's prey lol. Don't be afraid of your voice..... it's good!!!!
As far as a vocal exciter goes....check youtube. There's a method on how to create your own and it works well just don't go crazy with it. Also I found the CLA vocal is amazing. Worth the investment.
Cheers

Thanks for the comment...

I give about 2 inches of space for quiter sections and 5 inches for louder sections. that is, I back away. I have a sterling st51, a $79 condenser Mic, and no room treatment...just a normal bedroom.

Good to know the vox are still too quiet, I often become so used to them, I only need to hear them at a certain volume to make them out. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes I do the same when it comes to the distance but what I meant is opening your mouth and really accentuating the words . make them clear and make sure your melody is right on with syllables when you sing.

In other words, confidence! You have a good voice and you can sing.... So sing man!!!! Lol. Hope that helps

Yes I do the same when it comes to the distance but what I meant is opening your mouth and really accentuating the words . make them clear and make sure your melody is right on with syllables when you sing.

In other words, confidence! You have a good voice and you can sing.... So sing man!!!! Lol. Hope that helps

I don't think you're getting the feel I was going for...believe me, I'm more confident in my singing abilities than I probably should be. I wanted them to be quiet, low key, and almost talking during the verses..that was deliberate and intentional. but hey, no worries.

Back