A 'Mesa question..

mixsit

I guess I need to do some trouble shooting but It seems when pushed (near full clean..) this LoneStar Special wants to fold. A few times I thought well we're all on the same circuit, out doors' what have you, maybe voltage sag? But IDK, I don't recall in years running a Twin this kind of effect coming up so if any body's got any input I'm just kind of fishing at this point.

Well a Twin has a ton more headroom than a LSS - could it be that is just the sound of the amp being pushed harder than you are used to pushing the Twin? I'm not exactly sure what they sound you are describing is.

The manual for my Mesa DC-5 says if your tubes are worn sometimes you can experience a fading in volume. How old are the tubes?

Hey thanks
--Tubes-they're original but don't have a lot of hours on them (I did have to go to an 'NOS for the rectifier after two failures on the new' ones.
The sound or symptom is more like as if the volume is being muffled/distorted and pulled down on the notes/attacks. Not completely cutting out sharply like an intermittent, but also not at all just gradually getting more saturated and distorted like normal as you push an amp harder. Only happened bad a couple of times and it did seem to coincide with when the whole band was pushing hardest.
But that’s also when I’d have been pushing it as well.

I've owned quite a few Boogies in the past as I worked at a store that was a dealer and I got awesome deals. I had similar issues with a Nomad combo. Can't remember what the cause was, but the guys at Mesa had our in house technician up to speed in one phone call and I never had anymore issues with it until I sold it a few years later. Hope everything gets lined out for you. It really blows whenever you spend top dollar on an amp and it starts to crap out.

Back