a few mixing questions

Get the cans on turn them down, lose the earplugs, mute the guitar track in the cans (or turn the track down to a suitable level).
If latency is the reason, manage it with your buffer settings or totally mute the tracks.
If you're struggling to follow, try lifting on side of the cans off so you can hear mix and live, or try using direct monitoring if your interface supports it.
If you do the former and the amp is too loud (which it should be) pop an earplug in the open-ear.

I read it that the sound of the guitar in the room bleed into the headphones so much that he had to turn the headphones up to monitor the click over the live guitar bleeding through the headphones. That got so loud that he needed ear plugs. Drummers tend to have this problem when their headphones don't isolate enough.

I read it that the sound of the guitar in the room bleed into the headphones so much that he had to turn the headphones up to monitor the click over the live guitar bleeding through the headphones. That got so loud that he needed ear plugs. Drummers tend to have this problem when their headphones don't isolate enough.

that's exactly right.

I can't be sure since it was my first time doing this, but I think it was the 4ms latency combined with the loud amp bouncing all over the room, which I'm not used to. I wasn't sure if what I was hearing was the amp from the cans or the amp itself and it was throwing me off.

At times I tried turning the cans off and just using the amp's sound. It was okay, but I preferred that ear plug method because it allowed me to turn up the drums/click in the cans and hear the beat better.

This was my first time recording loud guitars in a decent room so...a lot of learning and experimenting (and errors).
Do what Greg does and turn off the guitar in your headphones. 4ms latency is the amount of delay you get when you stand about 4 feet away from the amp. It really shouldn't throw you off. It starts getting a little disorienting around 25 or 30ms

that's exactly right.

You said it was "because of timing".
I guessed you meant latency but now I guess you mean you couldn't hear the kit etc?

To be fair, we shouldn't have to guess. ;)

Good. At least that means the amp is at a good volume.
If it's that loud I seriously doubt any amount of headphone bleed would cause an issue.

Something aint adding up here. If the amp was so loud that it interfered with tracking, then the pre wouldn't have to be turned up very much for normal tracking levels. This would reject the bleeding click track on a close mic'd cab. I'm thinking your amp wasn't actually that loud, your pre was turned up maybe way too hot, and/or you had your cans unnecessarily ridiculously loud and they don't isolate.

Something aint adding up here. If the amp was so loud that it interfered with tracking, then the pre wouldn't have to be turned up very much for normal tracking levels. This would reject the bleeding click track on a close mic'd cab. I'm thinking your amp wasn't actually that loud, your pre was turned up maybe way too hot, and/or you had your cans unnecessarily ridiculously loud and they don't isolate.

He said he could only hear the click very faintly while he wasn't playing the guitar, but ^^ could still be the case.
Hopefully a few clips well tell the story.

i had the amp around 5, which is as loud as it gets. on 10 it doesn't get much louder at all it just breaks up. the preamp was like +20 to 25db input and output gain was in the middle. the channel was -18db reading. so i think it was gain staged right.

i did crank the headphones for the reasons above. i'm pretty sure they were maxed out. then i plugged my ears. i tried recording with the headphone monitors off and just using the amp in the room, but i felt better monitoring through the headphones. i dunno. next time i'll try the other method again since everyone says it's better, but i felt disorienting playing that way. you have to realize i'm used to recording sims and hearing them right there in the headphones

you have to realize i'm used to recording sims and hearing them right there in the headphones

Ah there's your fucking problem. Sims ruin everything!

If you want pure monitoring from a loud amp you need to get far away from it. Some guys will put it in another room, or in a real studio they'll sit in the control room, amp in the live room, and monitor through the control room monitors.

Or, in the future, just stay in there with it and deal with it. I prefer to be in the room with the cabs.

Or, in the future, just stay in there with it and deal with it..

I will because it freaks me out that the mic picked up the headphones when I stopped playing. That alone is enough to never do this method again.

I track with live guitar in headphones all the time.
And every time I've been in a commercial studio, that's how it was done.

I will because it freaks me out that the mic picked up the headphones when I stopped playing. That alone is enough to never do this method again.

Lol. Well that's a different problem. The only "bad" method you seemed to do here is have your cans blasting so stupidly loud that you needed earplugs and you recorded the bleed from it. I mean really, all of that is asinine. But you live, hopefully you learn from it.

Lol. Well that's a different problem. The only "bad" method you seemed to do here is have your cans blasting so stupidly loud that you needed earplugs and you recorded the bleed from it. I mean really, all of that is asinine. But you live, hopefully you learn from it.

True enough. If the amp is so loud that you need plugs under your cans, pick up some cans with better isolation, point the amp the other way, get further away, throw up a dense baffle.
There are a number of ways to take the edge off, if necessary, but I don't know if there's a need with decent cans.

I have Senny HD280s and Beyer DT770s. Have been happy enough sitting feet from a kit with either pair and I'm pretty sensitive to noise.

I use Vic Firth drummer iso cans for drum tracking and cranked Marshalls. They don't sound worth a shit, but I don't care. They're not for mixing and like I said, I just need to hear a click track or drums. They save my ears from the roar of tracking and they attenuate enough that I don't have to have them cranked to hear over the roar of tracking.

Yeah. I didn't really think that through very well.
Do you think the mic would pick up that headphone bleed while I was actually playing chords at full volume? it seems like the amp would override the headphones. man, i sure hope so. If those headphones ruined ten days of work i'm going to be so furious.

I'll try to get clips up soon, but right now I'm fried. I'll post a single guitar, then a clip with the phasey sound I'm hearing when I add the 2nd guitar. Maybe it's normal? Since I never recorded guitars maybe this is normal and I just don't know how things sound

Right enough...What cans do you have?

These were Sony MDR7506 closed back. They're okay. Kind of high on the treble, imo. I thought the isolation on them was pretty good, tbh.
I have a pair of open backs sennheiser 580hds that are great and more neutral/flat, but i didn't use those since they isolate even less. I mostly use those to mix.

This was kinda an awakening in why dudes treat rooms, use real monitors, isolate this and that, etc. I kept thinking that was all a waste...lol. Now that I'm off sims (sounds like a dropped a coke habit) I see the light.

---------- Update ----------

I don't fucking know. Listen to it and see for yourself. You're the one with the tracks. Lol. Dude.

Good point.
I just hear this weird phasey thing and I'm too ignorant to know why it's there. I'll stop talking about it, though, and just post tracks when I'm de-fried.

I can't see the bleed thing being a problem but it's easier for you to find out than for us to speculate.
To actually affect your recorded tone in a meaningful way, your headphones would need to be loud enough that you can hear them clearly (when not wearing them) over the amp.

Even if bleed somehow is causing issues, I still recon you should be muting your armed tracks in the cans. That means the only bleed would be kit/click. Still never likely to be a problem.
I know different people are different but I never EVER want to hear myself in the cans, whether it's guitar, piano, vocals.

I've noticed a trend with these guys who constantly ask to hear more of themselves in the cans. They constantly fuck everything up.
No consistency...stupidly quiet performances...They're, in my experience, really hard to work with.

Back