a few mixing questions

This was kinda an awakening in why dudes treat rooms, use real monitors, isolate this and that, etc. I kept thinking that was all a waste...lol. Now that I'm off sims (sounds like a dropped a coke habit) I see the light.
Cool. That's good. Good for you, and good for us. Now that's one less thing you can argue about with people that already know this stuff. You just went one step up the ladder. :thumbs up:

I have a real tough time recording guitar to just the bleed through the phones. The loss of top end is just unacceptable to me.

Course, I can't stand ear plugs either. I even bought me a nice pair that are actually pretty surprisingly flat all the way up, but I just couldn't do it. It didn't feel right knowing that it was fucking loud, feeling it in my gut, but having it quiet at my ears. I suppose if I had any sense I'd suffer through it and probably get used to it after a while, but in my mind I expect it to hurt. It's supposed to hurt. I want it to hurt. I'll probably regret it sooner rather than later...

I never EVER hear myself in the cans, whether it's guitar, piano, vocals.

I've noticed a trend with these guys who constantly ask to hear more of themselves in the cans. They constantly fuck everything up.
No consistency...stupidly quiet performances...Eugh..Pisses me off. :p

Can you elaborate on why it's bad?

I've noticed a trend with these guys who constantly ask to hear more of themselves in the cans. They constantly fuck everything up.
No consistency...stupidly quiet performances...They're, in my experience, really hard to work with.

I had a guy recently that wanted the kick drum blasting him through the cans. Just the kick. I was like "man, really? You're sitting one foot away from it." He "had to have it". :facepalm:

It's supposed to hurt. I want it to hurt. I'll probably regret it sooner rather than later...

No way, man, maybe hurt the audience, but you want to keep your hearing. Don't let machismo kill your hearing.

My ears are insanely sensitive and I hope to keep them that way -- definitely not worth losing over a few tracks that like 10 dudes on Earth will ever listen to.

Can you elaborate on why it's bad?

Sorry...Just to be clear I'm sure plenty of people do it and are good that way.
It's just the guys I've worked with aren't. ;)

There's one guy in particular - I'm convinced he *needs* to hear himself because he thinks he needs to hear himself.
I've told him over and over to slip a can off and judge his performance the same way he would live, in the shower, in rehearsal.

It's strikes me as fucked up to practice, rehearse, hone a talent or skill under one set of circumstances, then come into to create an important and permanent record of that skill with the goalposts moved.

I find the fader for the performers volume is an inverse volume control and I seriously use that as a tool. When I want the guy to sing louder I pull his fader down, and vice versa.
As long as he doesn't notice, it works great but like...seriously...Pop a can off and learn some mic technique.

I had a guy recently that wanted the kick drum blasting him through the cans. Just the kick. I was like "man, really? You're sitting one foot away from it." He "had to have it". :facepalm:

lol. You know I don't drum but I'm thinking a kick's going to carry that foot... lol.
I kinda want you to tell me the kick was all over the place as a result, or he played it stupidly quietly or something.....

Tracking a drummer recently - asked him how he wanted his cans set up - He said "mute the drums - turn everything else up".
I was like...yeah, we're going to get along fine. :)

Cool. That's good. Good for you, and good for us. Now that's one less thing you can argue about with people that already know this stuff. You just went one step up the ladder. :thumbs up:

Well I don't know. I want to remember where I came from and not judge people who use sims.
I do love miking the amp, even if I mic'd the headphones, too lololz

There's one guy in particular - I'm convinced he *needs* to hear himself because he thinks he needs to hear himself.
I've told him over and over to slip a can off and judge his performance the same way he would live, in the shower, in rehearsal.

It's strikes me as fucked up to practice, rehearse, hone a talent or skill under one set of circumstances, then come into to create an important and permanent record of that skill with the goalposts moved.

I find the fader for the performers volume is an inverse volume control and I seriously use that as a tool. When I want the guy to sing louder I pull his fader down, and vice versa.
As long as he doesn't notice, it works great but like...seriously...Pop a can off and learn some mic technique.

Cool, thanks.

Well I don't know. I want to remember where I came from and not judge people who use sims.
I do love miking the amp, even if I mic'd the headphones, too lololz

It's not about judging people that use sims. Some people have to use them. The problem is the sim users that don't know what they don't know but they talk like they know something.

lol. You know I don't drum but I'm thinking a kick's going to carry that foot... lol.
I kinda want you to tell me the kick was all over the place as a result, or he played it stupidly quietly or something.....
Lol. No he was a standard rock drummer. He did fine. He just had some weird hangup about having to hear the kick in his cans.

Tracking a drummer recently - asked him how he wanted his cans set up - He said "mute the drums - turn everything else up".
I was like...yeah, we're going to get along fine. :)

That's how I do it. Just music and click in my cans when tracking drums. I don't need to hear my drums, I'm already sitting right there at them. I'm the same playing live too. Lots of drummers want themselves in the their monitors. Uh, no thanks. I'm already right there.

It's not about judging people that use sims. Some people have to use them. The problem is the sim users that don't know what they don't know but they talk like they know something.

Yeah I guess. I never really pay attention to things like that on the forum, but I just figure they have their plight and will learn when they learn just like everyone else.
I feel like this was really enlightening. Like even when I go back home, and say I have to use the sim, I now know much much much more about the mic placements and room, etc. I feel this will allow for even better sim tones if i do need to use them. If your point is every sim dude should try to mic at some point, then agree, they should if they can. Personally I couldn't until now, but any sim dudes reading this, you should do it when you can because it's enlightening even if you go back to sims out of necessity.

I slip a side off for vocals, but everything else I always want to hear it in the cans, panned where it would be in the mix, at about the same level.

Yeah I guess. I never really pay attention to things like that on the forum, but I just figure they have their plight and will learn when they learn just like everyone else.
I feel like this was really enlightening. Like even when I go back home, and say I have to use the sim, I now know much much much more about the mic placements and room, etc. I feel this will allow for even better sim tones if i do need to use them. If your point is every sim dude should try to mic at some point, then agree, they should if they can. Personally I couldn't until now, but any sim dudes reading this, you should do it when you can because it's enlightening even if you go back to sims out of necessity.

The thing is, when you use sims, you have to treat them as their own animal. If you use say a Mesa Dual Rec sim, and then get to use a real one in real life, whatever you know about the sim version probably will not translate to the real amp. You can virtually crank your sim and stick the virtual mic wherever and fiddle your way to something usable while know knowing nothing about anything. Try that in real life with a real Dual Rec and you will be in for a very rude awakening.

The thing is, when you use sims, you have to treat them as their own animal. If you use say a Mesa Dual Rec sim, and then get to use a real one in real life, whatever you know about the sim version probably will not translate to the real amp. You can virtually crank your sim and stick the virtual mic wherever and fiddle your way to something usable while know knowing nothing about anything. Try that in real life with a real Dual Rec and you will be in for a very rude awakening.

Huh, gotcha. I'll try the princeton sim when I get home and see how it translates.
The only problem I have with sims is they sound 2D (almost sound more like keyboards) and also fizzy when distorted. If those problems are ever solved it'll be an awesome day.

I wish they'd market sims as entirely different things. Like call it a "flat guitar/keyboard hybrid thingy" or something. When I view a sim as an entirely different instrument I get along with its tones much better.

Don't let machismo kill your hearing.
LOL. Have we met? Have you seen any of my live performances in video? Machismo... ROFL

Masochism has most of the same letters, though. :)

Woh, how the heck is this thread 8 pages.
Cause when you're not signed in, you only see like 4 posts per page. When signed in, it's showing as only 2 pages for me.

I slip a side off for vocals, but everything else I always want to hear it in the cans, panned where it would be in the mix, at about the same level.

Actually, I take that back. If I'm recording anything that's going to rely on ITB delay, I'll monitor that.
I'm doing that less lately though. Using tape delay instead.

Back