A/D convertors in external boxes question

Bob's Mods

I would like to know what external boxes have really good A/Ds in them. I don't care what the box does. What I do want to know is what boxes are acknowleged to contain superior A/Ds. I've read many times that the Kurzweil Rumour reverb box has superiour A/Ds. What other external boxes have super convertors in them?

Thanks up front.

Bob the Mod

Rumour was the first thing that came to mind for me. For d/a there's the Presonus central station.

Do you mean dedicated converters, or units built for other purposes that happen to have good converters?

I assumed he meant the latter since he brought up the Rumour. I expect the Mangler also has decent conversion (same as the Rumour).

What about some of those prosumer reverb boxes from Lexicon? Or the TC Electronic G something box or M-One-XL boxes? Does the Rumor A/D have these boxes all beat by a long shot?

I am most interested in a quality external D/A at a prosumer price. No high end stand alone convertor boxes for me.

For the price a used echo layla 24/96 can be had at around $250 used and they are 8 in 8 out.

At the time the unit was among the top unless you went to linx or something like that.

You might find this helpfull. It's a little old, but if you're going to look for used converters it may help.

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/

Good luck.

F.S.

Behringer DEQ2496

One time way back when I got and modded a Behringer DEQ2496 and used it as an external A/D. I changed out the cheap op amps in that that went into the A/D and beefed up the power and grounds. It actually worked rather good as a stand alone convertor (A/D) with the changes. Their power harness had too small a gauge wire on it. I ended up selling some years back though before I realized it worked well for the purpose. I could end up going that route again. It had either one or two op amp stages going directly into a quality ADK convertor. The EQ was good for notching out resonance nodes.

If you can find a used ART DI/O I can recommend it. A dedicated AD/DA box, but inexpensive and sounds surprisingly good. I have two of them.

Back