A band reunion after 41 years, DJL, and life in general.

Have a good one Harvey, nice to hear a happy tale with all the shit being slung round the world at the moment.
FWIIW pimples nearly always clear up on their own.

Wow, that was a high-energy post from the Q-man. I still think Q would make an ideal secretary of defense, and maybe he could work his way from that up to mic forum moderation?:)

Harvey - you are the man. And having someone three times my age on the forum keeps my nerdy-ass feet on the ground!!

Harvey,

I, too, wish to convey unhappiness in the notion of your considering leaving this forum. I, as the many who have read the big thread, gained a wealth of microphone and recording information/knowledge from your posts.

I hope this continues by reading more of your future posts.

Warm regards,

John

Hey Harvey, they might have omitted you in that VH-1 special, but I made sure I mentioned your name in a review (MXL microphones) I wrote for German KEYBOARDS magazine. So if you ever come over to the Frankfurt fair, I'm sure you can get free beer anywhere by just telling people who you are ;)

Have a great time, Harvey!

I hope I can speak for all of us who have benefited from your wisdom by saying we are very pleased to hear you are sticking around.

John

Harvey, Have a great,safe trip, and add this one to the list of thanks for the knowledge you share....

70sbaby said:
Looks like a case of a weenie and a meenie. 2 ego maniacs.

Thanks for your wisdom. I'm sure that in the course of your 19 posts, you've had a chance to figure out exactly how much Harvey has contributed to this forum (and the industry in general) and came up with that thoughtful, witty response based on YOUR extensive experience.

Please, start a Big Mic Thread of your own so we can learn from you.

H2oskiphil said:
Thanks for your wisdom. I'm sure that in the course of your 19 posts, you've had a chance to figure out exactly how much Harvey has contributed to this forum (and the industry in general) and came up with that thoughtful, witty response based on YOUR extensive experience.

Please, start a Big Mic Thread of your own so we can learn from you.
Hey, it's cool, H2oskiphil. Don't dis him because he's only got 19 posts or because he's dissing me. Check out his website; he's doing some cool shit and he can probably help answer questions about recording hip hop and rap.

Sometimes, it takes a little time for new people to figure out who's righteous and who's a poser.

70sbaby said:
Looks like a case of a weenie and a meenie. 2 ego maniacs.
Hey bro,

You wanna dis me?
Okay, that's cool.
Don't wanna learn new shit?
Then stay a fool.

Most of the time,
I'm here to teach.
Ain't got no agenda,
So I don't try to preach.

I'm twice your age,
And I've been to your turf.
I got friends there,
That'll put you under the earth.

So don't come in here,
Till you show us what ya got.
Tell us what you know,
And why you think you're fuckin' hot.

Show us what you know,
And you'll get our respect.
But your cute quote above
Don't cut the deck.

You dig?
You dig?
You dig?
You dig?

©2004 Homie Records - All Rights Reserved

Ooooooooook. Number of posts is not equal to experience. As a matter of fact i even have a villagers album in my record collection. I'm just the type of guy who roots for the underdog. But you have to agree that all of the self praise is a little overboard. Oh and stick to engineering. I enjoy your mic advice better then your raps, but if mc hammer can rap I guess anyone can.

Harvey Gerst said:
It's important to cherish the time you're a musician or involved in the arts. A lot of people hang it up after a while and get into more conventional lines of work. Well, the conventional stuff will never be as much fun as the time you're a musician. A guaranteed paycheck is nice and stable, but it ain't the same as coming offstage to the sound of a 1,000 screaming fans. That's a payday!! It's a rush and a high. And you're not gonna get a standing ovation for delivering a report on time.

Yeah, it's a tough business, and about 99% of the people in it don't last, or wind up being stars. So what? For a few brief moments in your life, you're on stage, getting applause and instant feedback, that says, "Wow, they REALLY like me.". You might never become a superstar, but at least you'll have done something not too many people have done; for a few glorious shows, you were a rock star. Maybe not a big star, but a star never the less. And you'll have the pictures to prove it.
I hear ya. I'm in a conventional line of work, I work in IT which I like, have a stable income and I like that too.
But yesterday I had the opening night of an amateur musical production (Fame). I'm playing bass in the band. My first live performance in 2.5 years and it went well.

I also supplied most of the mics and cables for the band (10 of the 13) which are paid from my monthly paychecks (see, there is an upside to it) but that's a different story.

We're out of sight during the show because the band is in a separate room.
But we went up on stage right after the show and the roof got blown off the building when we entered. Not the biggest crowd I've ever played for (120 people) but it was a sweet and emotional moment for an introvert and often insecure guy like me. These moments are true highlights.

A colleague of mine is a trained sound engineer but also works fulltime in IT now because there isn't much work in music as we all know. I got him involved as well and he did a great job at the FOH mixer.
There will be quite a few smiles and stories when we're back at our regular jobs on monday morning.

Four more shows to go. :-)

Hi Harvey,

I've also enjoyed organizing and staging a reunion of one of my earliest bands.

We had this reunion a year ago in August of 2003; most of us hadn't seen one another in 35 years, and fortunately, we were all still alive. What started as a little get-together of 4 or 5 guys wound up to be a gathering of 128 people... all the guys, their wives, kids, grandkids, their parents (those that were still alive), some aunts, uncles, and friends.

In 1966, we made a 10 minute, (optical) sound black-and-white music video, filmed by a Portland television producer and celebrity, who thought the "fad" of rock bands in that era was worth capturing, since many "adults" felt rock music would fade as quickly as the hula hoop. As it turns out, this producer (now nearly 80 and long retired) is still alive, and was willing to let us stage our reunion at his estate. The skinny kid that eventually became our bass player in this band by converting his early 60's solidbody guitar to a bass is now the president of a film and video production company, and arranged a "four camera shoot" of the reunion, which yielded a two hour "documentary" DVD of the event (including the film from 1966). Although most of the guys hadn't played in close to 35 years, we were able to put together a days worth of the songs we played when we were teens. We also captured lots of conversations and memories about the fun we had as teens, which went onto the DVD. Trying to express the "magic" that was in the air that day is beyond my ability to describe, other than saying it was one of the most positive and enjoyable experiences I've had. Copies of the DVD were sent to all the attendees last December, and arrived just before Christmas, which was the best gift any of us could have received. Knowing that future generations will get to see and hear their ancestors talking, laughing and playing music is a legacy that we're all proud of. I'm certain that your reunion will be just as fun and gratifying.

We're about to release our second forum members CD too; the first one was released in May - the second one will be released next weekend (a double CD). This type of project will only happen in an environment that values mutual respect and communication. So, life goes on.

Last edited:
70sbaby said:
Ooooooooook. Number of posts is not equal to experience.
Didn't say it was; note my other answer, above the rap post, where I referred people to your website to check out some of the cool stuff you're doing.

As a matter of fact i even have a villagers album in my record collection.
Ah, so that's where the 10th album went to.

I'm just the type of guy who roots for the underdog. But you have to agree that all of the self praise is a little overboard.
I got to remembering what an extraordinary life God has handed me. I've been very fortunate to be in a lot of right places at all the right times. I thought it might be nice to remind others to cherish those moments now.

Oh and stick to engineering. I enjoy your mic advice better then your raps, but if mc hammer can rap I guess anyone can.
No, I can't rap, I have no diamonds or gold chains, and I don't think there's much of a market for a 67 year old white rapper. I've engineered a few local rap albums and the talent needed has amazed me. (And I love how "AK47" and "7-11" works as a great rhyme.)

Wow guys. This is a really great thread.

Ya know, from the very first post, I couldn't see any of this stuff coming on.

Some thoughts FWIW not that my opinion matters but it may agree with many or most here;

Thank you Harvey for all you do. I applaud your postion and response reagarding both DJL and this 70's kid. Those of us who have been around here a while know you are not looking for praise and we apprecieate you sharing your knowledge, wisdom and insight.

70's child you are welcome as anyone to participate here but please grow up and lose the ego and attitude. It does not serve you well or this forum. Honestly you sound like an insecure junior high hoodlum. I think you have something more positve to offer than that and Harvey has been very gracious toward you. You could show the same respect.

No man appears smaller than when he strives to bigger at another mans expense.

Back