80's rock/love ballad..kinda

I thought the intro sounded great, and a great sound on the acoustics, and the short but sweet lead lick.

the vocals have a unatural sound to them, but are sung very well. I would guess maybe a different mic might just be the solution. I especially liked the modest use of the delay on the vocals too.

I think the lead could stand to come up a lot around the 2+ min mark where it cuts in and out between the vocals... and even on its own. Make it as loud as the vocals, imo.

the whole mix actually has a nice beefy sound and feel to it. But almost seems like it wants to clip. Like speakers on the whimpering edge!

This is a nice song I missed the first time around.

yeah...nice vocals.

well, that rolled up to it`s #1 spot on your chart here at my place. :) I love the tune..mucho. you didnt ask us to peel the onion so I`m jus gonna say, I liked it all. The vocals could use a touch more crispness to me. I like the solo too, Some screaming somewhere in the midst would be cool. :)

David;

I have to agree with Mix on the Vox. They sound a bit distorted to me in places. It's a bit late to be cranking the Monitors very high though. The Leads could stand to come up just a bit.

Let me close by saying that the tune has a very Hauntingly beautiful sound to it. I dig it Bro!

CR ><>

Kick ass voice there! It sounds real radio friendly--and I mean that in a positive way. I liked the guitar sound and that solo too. Cymbals could come back a bit for my tastes--just a hair. Catchy tune all the way round. Ah--just heard the second solo--thats the one you mean--all by its lonesome. I liked the finish on that one!

David,

The intro Acoustics sounded very nice. I agree with the Mixsterbator about the vocal sound. They are well sung, just a little out of character for the tune. The solo can be a work in progress for many. I personally like a solo that has a less rehearsed feel to it. Usually where key parts fall into line with the progression, and where other parts seem to be add libbed even though they may not be. Good job overall.

Fangar

Definitely getting a little clipping. Seems to be coming from the low bass and kick. Awesome vocals! You've got a great voice, and I thought it fit the song well. Real nice guitar tones too. Great ending. Nice emotion throughout.

Twist

I liked it from the first notes.
Nice acoustic sound.

Great sounding mix,I think if the electric guitar was more prominent,it would fit better with your voice.JMHOP

You really sing great David!
Really a well written song,I could hear it on the radio,definitly!:D

Pete

Very nice blend of acoustic and electric gits. Nice song. Interesting vocals. This isn't my style music, but I liked this! Well done.

Mike

Thanks guys..

mixmkr

I agree with what you say 100%. Maybe the mic, it's an AT40/50cm, it's my only condensor..so I use it pretty much on everything along with 57's. I think my preamp (art dual mp) and mackie board might come into play also..Thanks for your ears!

Toki987

I hear ya on the "crispness' on the vox, they really sound kind of hollow and un natural. Thanks Ken, your ears are always welcomed.

Axe4Yahweh

"Hauntingly sound" haha, i've heard that one before on this tune. yeah man i'm hearing the distortion your taliking about...just cant seem to find out why. Thanks Ax.

crawdad

Thanks for listening to this, i agree about the cymbals being a little to hot. L.t Bob turned me on to a tune he added sax on of yours the other day...let me just say this, i hate both of ya'll:D , hehe kidding of course...it was one of the finest recordings and songs i've heard here.Thanks Al.

Fangar

You know you've hit on something that i've been thinking about a lot latley. Not so long ago i used to hit "record" and just let it fly, and it alway's just felt right if that makes any sense at all:D . I think im going to go back to that kind of recording and see how it goes. Thanks for that bro.

twist

Thanks twist, yeah after listening again today i'm hearing a bunch of things that i dont like. Good call on the low bass, i agree with that. Thanks mucho twist!

muzeman

Thanks for listening brutha Pete! I'll keep in mind about the guitars being more "prominent', i hear what yer saying and do agree with that. Thanks man.

dachay2tnr

Thanks for the listen Mike, i appreciate it.

Cool power ballad

10-15 years ago if you went into a good studio with the right producer and recorded this tune you would be a rock star.

Got hair? :D

I don't think the problem with your solo is the solo itself so much as the backing. You need to drive the song better there and around 3:30 where the breaks are. It loses too much momentum. There are a few other spots too where the groove seems a bit tentative. Sometimes on a tune like this you have to say "screw the meter" and let the rythym take it's own course (within reason).

Your vocal performance on this is great! I can tell you sang your ass off.

Nice work!:)

Good God man...you can sing. Crashes definitely are a bit much in here. Great song. Love it!!!

This goes straight to the keepers folder.

Got hair?

:D , well...yeah, some:D . Thanks M Brane, i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one right now. I need to re-think the whole song maybe...i keep going back to it year after year thinking i can improve it..dont ask why:D . Thanks man.

Jagular

Crashes are to bright...i'm giving my ears a rest for a couple days maybe i can come away with a better mix. Thanks Jag,,

Great song! The vocals and guitars seem a little lacking not in talent but in sound quality. The snare seems a little thin for this style of song..

Anyway, great job singing and arranging this song. This is a great listen! Keep it up!

Maybe someday you can bring back this kind of music..

Good tune! Are you an old fart too? I only say that because I think the song is awesome and I tend not to like too much of the newer stuff. I mean it in a nice way.

The guitar licks do need some juice though. They really need to bite you a little when they speak in a song like this. I think the tone fits well.

I do lose you a little through the break part somehow. I don't know how to explain it but I lose the motion or the momentum during some of the parts. It's just a feeling more than a technical call??

Overall beauty

Joe

Wow, I love songs like this!

I loved the strength in the vocals; I am partial to vocals. And at the intro they are really clean and clear, but around 1:00 the whole thing gets a little reverby or loud. But then, that's the loud build up in the song so maybe that's just how it should be. The loudness seems to clean up real well around 2:20 or maybe the vocals are more clear, but the whole thing sounds cleaner from there. Again the vocals give a beautiful strong presence, and I loved the heck out of that guitar! The solo at about 3:30 was kinda unexpected but I thought gave a cool shift. I liked it! Great song, very talanted! :cool:

Langley

Wow!!! ..man this is COOL!! Great Vocs David.... You have a fantastic voice. I read your reply above about having one "all purpose" condenser. ...Im witcha. I also share your pre-amp lacks. I get the same hard edge when I sing into my set-up (Rode NT 1000, and DBX mini-pre). ...and like mixmkr said, I think that is where we need to spend some dough. With the right vocal chain your voice is going to kick ass. The acoustics in this were super nice..... and well played. Nice bass too!
Very nice work man!
g w/5

whew...

not much of an engineer, but that recording sounds great. Mixed well and the guitars are especially clean in my listening. I am a musician so I can appreciate the music even behind a faulty mix (which your s wasn't). And this song has tons of potential, written brilliantly and definitely something you should consider furthering. Ever thought about soundtracks, etc... just curious.

Brian

your on a roll with the tunes..

can't really add anything because my ears are ringing badly at the moment, but I agree with the masses about the vocal problem.. they seemed a bit loud in spots.. great performance though.. good solo too.. this is a good song!! minor distortion on the whole mix.. too much limiter maybe..

First off....very nice tune...You're a good writer.
The vocal problem sounds to me as if you simply need to turn the gain down on the pre. It sounds as if it's right on that dividing line between ditortion and clean so you'd probably only need to turn it down a small amount....maybe only a db or so.

To me....the guitar solos (especially the first one) need to come up in the mix.....I think if you added a bit of power to them it would carry the rides a little bit.

Good vocals.....good playing all the way around.....just nice in general.

Back