8 Track mixer/routing confusion

Doublerr

I picked up an 8 track reel to reel recently, Fostex Model 80. Still need to pick up some peripheries for it, including a mixer.

I'm a little confused about how you route through these things. Like for instance, theres a Mackie 1620i local to me for a good price. Would I be able to use the pre-amps in this mixer to record 8 individual tracks to my Fostex? Could I at the same time route back into the mixer to monitor the signal?

Could someone explain some of the functionality a mixer like this has?

medias.audiofanzine[dot]com/images/normal/mackie-onyx-1620-628453.jpg

Or if I need other gear than a mixer. I've got little to no clue really. I've been recording 1 track at a time for years, digitally, so this is all pretty new to me.

Thanks, hopefully my questions make enough sense.

Not familiar with that mixer. Never used it.

However with a basic 16 channel mixer the routing is super simple and easy.

Use the first 8 channels for tracking.
Recording source> mixer input. Direct out to tape.

Use the other 8 channels for monitor.
Tape out from the fostex> input if mixer.

This method lets you monitor what is recorded, while keeping your inputs all set up for overdubs.

Upon mixdown, you now have those first channels free for whatever you want to use them for.

I'm coming from years of analog recording and am new to digital. The daw stuff is a really steep learning curve and confusing. ( to me)

Trust me, the learning curve from digital to analog is much much easier.

If this 1620 is the ticket for you, I'd study the manual.

It still seems like I can only send a stereo mix, at best, to the reel to reel with this particular mixer. Other than the firewire to send to my computer, I only see stereo outs. Maybe I'm wrong? I went through the manual, and can't find anything that tells me different.

And thanks for the help!

It's really an 8-channel mixer with some stereo line inputs, not what I'd want for an 8-track recorder. To record 8 tracks at a time you'd have to use the inserts sends, and then there wouldn't be enough inputs to monitor your tracks. I suppose you could use the insert returns, but then you couldn't hear the live input during preroll for a punch. It's just not the right mixer for 8-track recording.

Thanks, that's what I assumed. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely stupid and missing something. The hunt for the right mixer goes on

You can get a good old fashioned mackie cr1604 for about 300 bucks.

There's a real clean one on Reverb right now with the optional gooselight.

They dont have all the bells and whistles, but are a good mixer that's compact for your 8 track analog recording needs. Combined with an 8 input interface, you can all your stuff easily into a DAW.

It's really an 8-channel mixer with some stereo line inputs, not what I'd want for an 8-track recorder. To record 8 tracks at a time you'd have to use the inserts sends, and then there wouldn't be enough inputs to monitor your tracks. I suppose you could use the insert returns, but then you couldn't hear the live input during preroll for a punch. It's just not the right mixer for 8-track recording.

Yeah...BSG is correct.
I didn't quite consider that you were looking to record 8 multiple tracks through it at once.
Seems like these days everyone is doing a solo thing...just 1-2 tracks at a time. :)

For $300 I'd go for a newer Mackie than the CR1604, like the VLZ Pro. It's got eight direct outs, perfect for an 8-track setup. I think the CR1604 only has 6 mic preamps.

Hmmmm, now I'm thinking about if I'd ever need to record 8 tracks at the same time. 2 tracks at a time isn't too bad. I think for the money (340 USD) it seems to be a pretty good option for me.

My understanding is 2 get two tracks of recording, I would just have to hard pan the channels left or right, and send it out through the stereo out on the back.

Attachments

• mikser-studyjny-mackie-o_3123.jpg
    mikser-studyjny-mackie-o_3123.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 15
  • onyx-1620ibacka.jpg
    onyx-1620ibacka.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 14
I wouldn't skimp on my input channels to record on.
Being used to one or two inputs of daw recording, I could see one getting comfortable with that.

However more channels =more options. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Let's say drums, for example.

Mics for kick, snare (2) snare bottom (1)
Toms (2) overheads (2)

There's 7 inputs and tape tracks used up right there

Dump it into the daw, and you got individual tracks to play with rather than just a stereo track. Rinse and repeat with other instruments.

What if you record a whole band live to tape. With 8 tracks that can be done with a degree of control you'll never have with only 2 inputs.

I dunno, just tossing it out there. Something to think about.
:D

Hmmmm, now I'm thinking about if I'd ever need to record 8 tracks at the same time. 2 tracks at a time isn't too bad. I think for the money (340 USD) it seems to be a pretty good option for me.

What? That money will buy you a mixer that will do eight at once.

If you look you can find a Mackie 8-buss for that kind of money. It will do all you want and more as far as connecting to your 8 track tape machine.

Well it allows 16 inputs, but as far as I can tell outputs only to 2 tracks. The firewire would allow for output/input of all 16 tracks with my computer, but that's not what I'd be using it for. The more I think about it, I don't think I'd record much more than 2 tracks at a time (although, its always nice to future proof). And it allows for mixing just fine with the 8 track once everything's recorded.

Anybody have a better recommendation for a mixer in this price range?

You got a couple in that price range. For 8 track analog most good 16 channel analog mixers will do the job.

One burning question. Why wouldn't you want to have the capability to have simultaneous recording of 8 tracks to tape????? Why limit your options?

I'm strictly in the local used market on this purchase as buying new equipment in Canada right now is unpleasant with the dollar conversion. I'm also hoping to have the analog set up & fully functioning by May. Those are my main constrictions in thinking about going with this board.

I'm not saying I don't want the ability to record directly to 8 tracks, just saying I could probably live without it. Being able to mix the 8 tracks, to me, is more important at this point than being able to record to them all at the same time.

So basically what you are saying is that this is the mixer in your price range available to you locally. Right?
Still, I'd wait till something more suitable came up.
This is kind of like sleeping with the first woman that will have you. Lol.

You know the day you buy it, a better mixer will be posted. After your money is gone! :D

Bit of left field thinking here but...The problem boils down, it seems to me, to having 8 pre amps and then 8 more line return inputs?

Solution> TWO mixers, daft? Bear with. An 8 input mixer with D outs or inserts should be relatively common and cheap and an 8 channel input mixer (or a simple "line mixer") even more so.

The other option is an 8channel mixer with inserts then make a switch box to route the tape returns back for monitoring. This last requires some electronics skills but then "back in the day" analogue tape recordists were "engineers" in the proper sense of the word. Most studios/broadcast orgs' had their own workshops and much gear was custom made in house.

In any event "tape" is going to require some technical skills sooner or later unless you have a tech' on hand and a decent wedge handy!

Dave.

Now I've got more options to decide on. For 300 USD I could get a big SECK 242, 24 track, mixer. It works alright, but only outputs a stereo mix. BUT I would also get a late 60's Garnet Pro Vocal, 4 sets of floor monitor speakers, and a random assortment of cables, microphones and accessories.

Then, for about 175 USD theres a Tascam 512 which looks to be in pretty nice condition. Which has 12 tracks of inputs all with direct outputs, 8 busses, 4 different aux sends, (the back of this thing is insane, looks like a switch board) lots of extra functionality that would be appreciated in sending audio to the 8 track live.

Both is always an option I guess.

Attachments

• garnetdepuytandprovocal.jpg
    garnetdepuytandprovocal.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
M512 is perfect. :thumbs up:
I have an M520, the 20 input version. Using it with a 16 track tape machine, as well as with protools when I want to mix out of the box. Love it.
I'd take the 512 or 520 any day over any of the Mackie offerings.

Back