6L6 or 6V6 any difference?

Wouldn't recommend it. They have different characteristics, and a circuit mod would probably be required to keep your rig from melting down. However, you can give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. :)

Ostia Man said:
Thanx!
and how about preamp tubes?
can i use 12at7, 12au7 inted of 12ax7?

No. You could probably get away with a 5751 or a 12AT7, but you generally don't go more than one gain stage below when it comes to preamp tubes. And 12AT7 is still a hefty drop in gain.

Just stick with 12AX7 and the stock 5881 tubes. If you don't like the sound of the amp, sell it.

you'll need to rebias the amp if you try 6V6's... they may not last too long otherwise... 5881's are industrial/mil spec 6L6's... no reason you cant sub any of the 12a?7's... ax's are highest gain... so dont expect to overdrive anything with au's aw's etc... and going the other direction if it calls for say at's you can in most cases try ax's the exception is the phase inverter tube... (usually the last before the outputs)

Ostia Man said:
Hi!
6L6 or 6V6 any difference?
can I put 6V6 tubes on a marshall jcm900?
Thanx!

6V6 ~20 watts per pair
6L6 ~40 watts per pair

Different biasing, etc; not interchangeable without other work on the amp.

If I might hijack this thread for a second, what are the differences among 6l6 tubes - like between 6L6GC and 6l6WXT, for instance?

Back