64 processor questions

idrisguitar

will current program work with it, like cubase, cake walk, reaosn, fruity loops drums from hell. etc. etc.

i have been told a small selections of programs dont work, even though the processor with majority of the program runs as a 32 bit processor to cater for it,

i want to make sure before i go ahead and buy my pc

its AMD athlon 64 bit 4200+ dual core processor (2gb ram, 250gb sata, MY DREAM COMPUTER :D)

also what do i need to do to make the pc perform the best for recording? (i heard optimizing ti in a way will help)

also keep in mind when answering the questions i will be playing a pc game here and there (howeve ri will not be going online, so no virus issues, and i will only be playing one game at a time (as in i wont install more than one game onot the pc at one time))

if game playing totally messes it up for home recording tell me (obviously i wont be doing both at the same time) and i will buy a cheaper computer with a 3.4 ghz processor and forget about games...(with the money i save ill buy a 360 ;))

Last edited:
The AMD will run 32/64 bit stuff transparently. I would stick with 32bit windows for now though since there is not alot of hardware support for win64

I run Cubase on an AMD X2 3800+ (essentially two 64bit 3200++ Venice cores stuck together) with no problems.

I agree with altitude909 when he says to stick with 32bit Windows though.

okay, i thought that the 64 bit windos would adapt like the processor to new hardware and stfware.

okay i will go with normal windows then.

can i use my windows is use on this (windows xp) thats would save me £90 :)

also can anyone tell me if playing games on the same computer i use for recording will harm it (apart from take up a little more hard disk spcae) i can imagine ther ebeing a problem unless im stupid enough to play a game when cubse is running or vice versa.

32 bit software will run fine on win64 but your audio software may have issues with since DAW software is usually pretty tightly tied to the drivers. Drivers on the other hand HAVE to be 64 bit and good luck finding them (or waiting till they become available).

You should be able to reactivate windows on the new comp if it is a retail version (but you cannot if it is OEM)

how do i know if its OEM or not?

yeah i will def get the windows xp normal version then, (the processor will still rock, and i can upgrade operating system when everything goes into 64 bits :))

yeah i dont want to get mixed up with dirvers etc. and make things more confusing than they need to be,

everything wll be fine then with windows xp normal, with the processor and everything?

thansk agaain altitude for being awesome :)

If it came with the computer, it is OEM.

Beyond that, your all set. You wont have to be worrying about upgrading the OS until Vista matures a little bit (2007 probably)

yeah ti came with the computer, i dont mind, ill just be paying the same amount if i was gonna get the 64 bit OS

ill just apply for regular windows xp with the pc, yeha and what you said ill upgrade when things get to the 64 bit era in a few year (only another £90 anyway)

thanks for the help,

im just waiting for money from my sale of good then i will go ahead and set it all up

Back