57 Alternatives?

In the same price range as the SM-57 ($40 used - $100 new) - are there some good dynamic mics worth checking out?

I've got 2 57's already (and on 58) and I'm think one more would be good - but I wouldn't mind a little more diversity in the dynamic locker.

My favorite mic in the whole world is the sennheiser MD 421. I use for guitar cabs all the time.

Another vote for the i5, it's a little more expensive than a '57 but I think owning one or two will come in very handy indeed.

I own several i5s and really like them. There is also the Audio Technica ATM650 which is a new kid on the block and I haven't played with it yet. If you are in the MD421 price range (which you aren't), the Beyer M201 is great too and you never know what garage sales or the used bin might bring. There are also those GLS ES57s.

I was going to say and Audix I5 or and E609, but both have already been mentioned.

So I will instead say +1 and +1.

The i5 is a little darker and,... dryer, I guess,.. than a 57. I think it sounds great on snare and guitar cabs. You wont be disappointed if you get one.

Well just like everyone is saying the i5 is a nice one you could checkout. I've the sm57 and i5 and I think you'd like it.

Why wouldn't you use a ribbon on a guitar cab? You have the royer 121 and other ribbon mics that are supposed to be very good for electric guitars.

I have heard from some studio cats they don't handle hi spl very well. You could end up recking the mic. Although this is just what I have heard. Not from experience.

My recommendation in order

ATM650 - Excellent Cab and Snare mic not as scooped as i5. nice mid-upper bump and not as boxy as 57. hyper-cardioid so work well live

i5 - bigger bottom and top than 57 and scooped some. can be harsh

e609S - a bit scooped. pretty bright and bigger bottom than 57 but not quit as big bottom as i5

MD421-II - very scooped, very big bottom. mixes well with 57. excellent tom mic. can be excellent cab mic for certain situation

Back