$500 Snare vs. $50 Snare

JonathanRay

I'd like to get some opinions on these two snares. I'm matching up a Tama Starclassic G Maple Snare and a 2004 Pearl Export Poplar Snare. Below are two recordings of the same kit, but with different snares. Which one do you like the best? Thanks.

personally i like the first one a lot more, but thats just me... im not a drummer though, so i dont really know whats what when it comes to the "technical" side of things... i just know that i liked the sound of the first one more -- less "ringy" and less "hollow" sounding than the second one.

now let me guess... i picked the el cheapo one huh?? lol :D

El cheapo is probably not el cheapo since i pick it too...ussually if it sounds better, it cost a lot more...

And when there's this discrepancy in price...ufff it gotta be the expensive one...if its not...then ...ummmm

For me it depends. What sound are you going for? The first one is more a hard rock type, for me at least. It has a nice punch, and no ring. Just slam. Teh second is more classic...it has a snare ring to it. (the spring I think :confused: ). I like the sounds of the first for my tastes. But that is a personal thing, as I can hear the second fitting nicely in some tunes as well.

Both snares sound great (so does the rest of your kit), but I prefer the export snare. It seems to have more punch, and more ring. The Starclassic has a more controled/dryer sound, but the export has more personality.

Definatly a difference in the two. I could see uses for both, but I liked the hell out of both, so it works out good for me. Incoming 50 dollar snare! :cool:

Thanks for all the replies guys! Here's the catch though, I switched the names of the MP3s. The one titled "Export" was the Starclassic, and the one titled "Starclassic" was the Export. It just goes to show you that when mic'd up, eq'd, and processed, expensive drums might not be so necessary. Thanks again for all the input.

PS: The Export snare was using old heads too! (Stock Reso, and an Evans Genera HD) Most likely I'll be returning the Starclassic, only because I can get my desired results with the export snare, and save $500.

I love that sound you got out an export snare. I've got an export kit, (is it the same snare)? How the hell did you get that sound? I really aint good at tuning drums. You put my newly clip to shame. I was so proud of it as well. There's my recording.

JonathanRay said:
Thanks for all the replies guys! Here's the catch though, I switched the names of the MP3s. The one titled "Export" was the Starclassic, and the one titled "Starclassic" was the Export. It just goes to show you that when mic'd up, eq'd, and processed, expensive drums might not be so necessary. Thanks again for all the input.

PS: The Export snare was using old heads too! (Stock Reso, and an Evans Genera HD) Most likely I'll be returning the Starclassic, only because I can get my desired results with the export snare, and save $500.

Nice............tricky fellar are'nt ya. :D

BTW, they both sound fine to me. The second one had more of an ambient sound to it though. Maybe that's from the heads?

Back