Does this drum recording WITHOUT proper mics sound okay?

I have to agree with previous posters. You just want validation for what you've done, you don't want advice.

This quote speaks volumes to me, when more experienced recordists suggested that you experiment with microphone placement:

Well the mics that are on the drums are just like they are supposed to be.

This is just arrogance borne of inexperience. Please listen to the advice you are given - there are many skilled people on this forum, giving excellent advice for free, and you ought to take their advice on board rather than dismiss it out of hand. Judging your mixes by how they sound with artificially-hyped bottom end from a sub is retarded. Get them sounding good on decent flat-response monitors and they will sound good on most systems.

I haven't listened to the OP recording and I don't need to. If you have this many experiences drummers and mix engineers telling you that you need to fix a whole bunch of things, you should be listening. You won't believe how much better you'll get at mixing just by being humble and taking the advice of the seasoned guys here on Home Recording.

I'll listen once you post the raw mix without any effects.

... I'm not seeing how people are mixing with 6 inch monitors on flat with no sub. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell how much bass there is. There is more bass going on in computer speakers. Obviously monitors are meant to be flat, but I'm not used to adjusting bass on something so flat. Because it doesn't matter where I put the EQ it's either too low to hear or it sounds like that first mix. Now I have made a compromise of both.

... I don't think the Rokit 6's have enough low end to properly see what's going on. With the sub they sound amazing. They sound better than the RP8's. But without the sub I can't even tell if the bass guitar is running over my guitar or not. ..
You get 99% of the information you need to mix with on any decent relatively flat speaker - with the caveat (that applies to any speaker) must be within it's playback level capabilities; I.e. the trade offs are pick small size', low extension or playback level.
The sub perhaps should for the most part only be giving you the very bottom octave or so (20 - 30 or 40?) to check for very low freq problems, or the judicious use of sub frequencies to be placed into the mix.
The bass, the kicks, their relationship and fit with 'the guitars' or what have you all can be resolved on and work with the 'typical' speaker's bandwidth. With or without a sub.

Back