5 condenser mics... which one is better

yeah, you'll need a power amp for passive monitors. for what it costs, get active ones and they'll be bi-amped too which means it's quite likely they'll be better than the passive / separate amp combo anyway.

noisedude said:
sorry then! the behringer is cheaper over here but UK prices are mental anyway ... you're right to say the SP is a clear choice over the Behringer though.
That's a matter of opinion... for example, both the Studio Projects C4 and Behringer B5 are cheap Chinese made budget mics made by 797 Audio in China... both Behringer and Studio Projects are doing their best to bring affordable products to starving musicians. Also both the Studio Projects B1 and Behringer B1 are cheap Chinese budget mics... which one is better is a matter of opinion.

wow.. i didn't know you needed a separate amp.. THANK YOU GUYS. hahaha i just stopped from buying a pair of passives...

so anyways.. i would have ALOT more money if I didn't recently get into an accident with my car.. Now I'm basically working to pay off the damage which is minor.. but like $200 less than what I could be having.. anyways.. 200-300 range is fine.. any suggestions? i just thought passives were better.

DJL said:
That's a matter of opinion... for example, both the Studio Projects C4 and Behringer B5 are cheap Chinese made budget mics made by 797 Audio in China... both Behringer and Studio Projects are doing their best to bring affordable products to starving musicians. Also both the Studio Projects B1 and Behringer B1 are cheap Chinese budget mics... which one is better is a matter of opinion.

Right, then. I was only referring to the B1 and B-1. Let's not be funny about this, DJL. You know the SP one's better and the Behringer B-1 isn't up to much. You've said so yourself. It may be a matter of some opinion, but it would be a funny guy that listened to both and took the Berry.

As for the C4/B5, I've not heard either and don't know their manufacturing situation. I could have sworn I heard it said that PMI don't share a manufacturer with anyone else, but that's just a memory.

noisedude said:
Right, then. I was only referring to the B1 and B-1. Let's not be funny about this, DJL. You know the SP one's better and the Behringer B-1 isn't up to much. You've said so yourself. It may be a matter of some opinion, but it would be a funny guy that listened to both and took the Berry.

As for the C4/B5, I've not heard either and don't know their manufacturing situation. I could have sworn I heard it said that PMI don't share a manufacturer with anyone else, but that's just a memory.
They're both cheap Chinese budget mics... I prefered the SP one, but others on this board have said they like their Behringer B1's... I think it's a matter of opinion which one is better.

jayphon, get active monitors... they come with amp's built in.

this is the microphone forum ... get over to the other equipment and reviews, or better yet read one of the hundreds of threads that answer your question!

jayphon said:
active monitors... any good pairs for under 250?

Yes. The Fostex PM05's are a very nice, biamped, active monitor. They apparently got a very nice review in Performing Musician some time ago, and I picked up a pair a few weeks ago for $239. at Sam Ash.

I had a chance to demo the PM05's next to M-Audio BX5's, and I really preferred the Fostex's. They seemed more smooth and full. Since then I've been able to do mixes on the PM05's that hold up extremely well when listened to on a range of other speakers and systems.

By the way, Fostex has been making speaker drivers since 1949, so they have some experience in this area.

haha, i hope not too well or big money is being wasted!

i'm gonna take a look at these, was looking at behringer truths etc but these might fit on my desk better!

MXL990 & 603

I have an SP B1 and the MXL 990 and V67. For vocals, I'd prefer the MXL67; for versatility, the SP B1. I haven't been able to make up my mind about the MXL 990 on vocals but I think I like it better than their 57 (another inexpensive MXL).

Guitar center is running a package deal: a MXL990 AND MXL603, with clips, in a custom aluminum case, for $100. The catch is that adding shockmounts could run around an extra $50 on the cheap.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

P.S.: They're also seliing the Octava 219 for $70.

Re: MXL990 & 603

Paj said:
I have an SP B1 and the MXL 990 and V67. For vocals, I'd prefer the MXL67; for versatility, the SP B1. I haven't been able to make up my mind about the MXL 990 on vocals but I think I like it better than their 57 (another inexpensive MXL).

Guitar center is running a package deal: a MXL990 AND MXL603, with clips, in a custom aluminum case, for $100. The catch is that adding shockmounts could run around an extra $50 on the cheap.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

P.S.: They're also seliing the Octava 219 for $70.

what is the octava 219?

and yes i did see that mxl 990 deal. actually the guy threw in the shockmount for free, which i refused.. bc i didnt like paying for the 2nd mic when i'll NEVER use it.. thinking back, i should've taken it.. but it's all done and over. SPB1.. still waiting.. should arrive tomorrow

re: MXL 990 & 603

Actually, the GC deal is on the 990 & 991. Since I've never heard of the 991, I don't know if it's worth the extra $40 or not. I'm sure someone will find out though. :-)

yeah it is the 990 and the 991.....

the 990 uses the same capsule of the 603 and the 991 looks damn near identical to the 603 in every way.....ive wondered if its a MF/GC exclusive version of the 603......

Back