5 condenser mics... which one is better

okay back to MY thread guys..

my final decision.. *drum roll please*

studio projects b1 or the mxl 990? hmmm....

IMA GET BOTH.. people said they got "different" sounds? both got very good reviews.. hey, perhaps i will need a "different" sound for different songs.. i hope i'm making the right decision...

thanks to you guys, i didn't get played today at a music store.. they tried to rip me off and go on about ALOT of things... :)

okay back to MY thread guys..

my final decision.. *drum roll please*

studio projects b1 or the mxl 990? hmmm....

IMA GET BOTH.. people said they got "different" sounds? both got very good reviews.. hey, perhaps i will need a "different" sound for different songs.. i hope i'm making the right decision...

thanks to you guys, i didn't get played today at a music store.. they tried to rip me off and go on about ALOT of things... :)

that's right, every time i go into a music shop now i can just switch off while the guy goes on about what he thinks i should buy and how much for, then i go, "ok, i want this piece of equipment for this prices or i'm going elsewhere". a guy tried to sell me one of those Peavey fold-up PA-in-a-boxes recently when I just wanted a multi-purpose Roland keyboard amp!

well got the 1st piece.. studio projects b1.. 79 bucks free s+h

next place.. i want to get the mxl 990.. i checked up EBAY and wow.. the prices went thru inflation.. lols.. i dont' have a credit card.. so things are hard.. any suggestions ? i can do money orders only..

jayphon said:

next place.. i want to get the mxl 990.. i checked up EBAY and wow.. the prices went thru inflation.. lols.. i dont' have a credit card.. so things are hard.. any suggestions ? i can do money orders only..
I don't know if this is out of your price range:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3246561/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/273156/

They accept payment by money order for phone or mail orders. Of course there will be a shipping charge.

jayphon,

where did you get that studio projects b1 for $79 w/ free shipping? i am looking to get one myself for recording vocals for my album. thanks a lot!

brian

I was looking up prices of MXL mics to see if they turn up over here much, and found this quote in the sales pitch for the MXL2001:

Larger studios have also benefited by finally being able to use a large diaphragm condenser in more precarious situations than would normally be risked.

:confused:

So the sales pitch for this mic is, it's cheap enough so that you don't care if it breaks! You have to admit that it's at least novel! :D

jayphon said:
/B]

You should get the shock mount with it. Maybe 20 bucks more, and well worth it. Plus, get a pop shield. The B1 is real nice.

billisa said:
You should get the shock mount with it. Maybe 20 bucks more, and well worth it. Plus, get a pop shield. The B1 is real nice.

I also have a B1 and like it. What are the benefits of a shockmount for this microphone?

The SP B1 has a built-in internal shock mount... it will be rare when you'll need an external shock mount for the SP B1 for recording... unless you've got a really noisy (screwed up) wooden floor in your studio or something.

i use a behringer b1 and it sounds good. had no problems with it yet i recomend it for its price range but if u could afford better get better

tubesrawsom said:
i use a behringer b1 and it sounds good. had no problems with it yet i recomend it for its price range but if u could afford better get better

studio projects b1 buddy.. lols :)

and hmm Is there anywhere i can get a shockmount using money order to pay? no credit card for this youngin yet :)

noisedude said:
Behringer also makes a B1 ... it's not as good as the SP but a shade cheaper.

i know.. but i'm saying that that's not what i was referring to...

i did ask about the behringer. i believe it costs more.. PLUS it didn't get as good of reviews

sorry then! the behringer is cheaper over here but UK prices are mental anyway ... you're right to say the SP is a clear choice over the Behringer though.

well now that i got that out of the way....

next move.. my setup so far..

brand new gateway (dont know specs by heart but its good)
omnio i/o studio audiointerface/mixer
studio projects b1 with shockmount (will i need a mic stand?)
delta 66 soundcard
sony mdr-v500 headphones
roland jx-305 synthesizer keyboard...

as far as software goes:
- cool edit pro 2.0
- fruityloops studio 4
- reason 1.0 ... i need to update, huh? lols

so let's change the topic.. any thing else I can be missing?

I'm really looking into some passive monitors.. any suggestions? i know i gotta small budget.. only 200 for monitors..

and i'm also looking into any software or plugins that'll help me :) c'mon guys. you've done well so far :) enlighten me gods of the music worlds..

jayphon said:
I'm really looking into some passive monitors.. any suggestions? i know i gotta small budget.. only 200 for monitors..

KRK ST6's are passive monitors that can be had for $99. each.

You're doing fine so far, but just out of curiosity...if you're looking for passive monitors on a $200 budget (which is not unrealistic), what will you be using to power them with? That might cost you a little more. You may be better off saving a few more $$ up and get a small set of active monitors, such as Samson, Event or M-Audio. They should all be had in the $300 range and they'd have power to match the system.

Another .02

Back