40-4 monitoring problems.........

superbeatballer

I received my latest ebay aquisition today (a Tascam 40-4). The first thing I noticed was the packing job which was better than I'd hoped for, but still not up to cjacek quality. Secondly, I was startled by how heavy and robust this beast was. I snapped some photos and will post them soon.

Right now I want to establish whether or not the basics are operational.

I've tested the transport functions, and all appear to be ok. What I'm baffled about is the monitoring section. The machine came with no manual so I have to learn about it the hard way.

Anyway, I've been monitoring from the line outs to headphones. I can hear input sound both line and mic, but nothing registers on my vu meters. Conversely, when I unplug the phones from the outputs, the sound registers on the vu meters but I can hear no sound. I've tried to monitor through the phones jack on the front of the 40-4, but I can't hear anything in any configuration. There are three buttons on the front of the deck located under "output select" marked input, norm, and monitor that I think have something to do with my confusion. In addition, I think the xlr and line inputs are acting as an independent unit, because four rca wires carrying that input signal must be connected to the four rca inputs above to get any signal in the vu's whatsoever. Wish I had the manual. :(

OK, it's a bad idea to sum two channel outputs of the 40-4 via adapters and headphones. I tried running the individuals channel outputs to a mixer for monitoring and it turned out to be just the ticket. I can now record and monitor all four channels, although channel one is playing back about 10 decibels softer than it should. I'm pretty happy so far.

I'm glad you received the 40-4 in working condition. I would love to see some photos of the unit and the packing job the seller did. Also, how did he take your instructions re the packing ? Btw, take off the back panel and check if everything is nice and intact. Sometimes shipping may cause internal things to go out of whack but shows little to no evidence when looking at the outside of the unit.

Back