388 help please!!!

superbeatballer

I'm starting to hear a mild warbling sound on playback. I notice it mostly on plucked/sustained high notes on the guitar and cymbal tails. I can hear it through my cans and monitors, so I'm assuming the problem stems from a playback mechanism and is not a byproduct of my less than perfect listening room. Any ideas? I'm hoping for an easy fix, but prepared for the worst.

Thanks,

Ryan

superbeatballer said:
One more thing, the warbling becomes more noticable near the end of the reel.

Sounds like the tape speed is starting to waver towards the end of the reel.

Check especially the pinch roller pressure and the pinch roller condition.

If you're using smaller reels check the reel size switch is in the small reel position, if there is such a switch.

Also do you know about sticky tapes? Could be that is contributing.

Not exhaustive but the first thing's I'd check.

All the best with it. Tim G

Sorry to hear about your 388 troubles, my friend, but I'm pretty stumped what it could be. I hope others will chime in and help you trouble shoot.

Have you tried the typical things like bad tape, oxide, etc ... ? I presume the 388 worked flawlessly before ? Did you do something different, than usual, prior to experiencing this problem ? :confused:

I could be wrong but sounds like wow and flutter .... Did you try cleaning the pinch roller with a rubber cleaner ? Cleaned the entire tape path ? Changed tapes recently ? (I'm sure you know all this but I thought I'd throw it outthere anyway).

I've been trying to push through a project, so I've neglected my tape path a bit. I cleaned and conditioned tonight, but there's only a slight improvement. The warble on high frequencies in quiet passages still persists. I did notice my right tension arm is bouncing up and down slightly. Not sure what that means. Thanks for the help!

I'm no expert but it sounds like mechanically induced flutter made worse by the lack of cleaning of the roller and heads (which you did perform with some success in lessening the problem). Tension problems perhaps ? Is the rubber gripping the tape with no slippage etc ... :confused:

Btw, thanks! :) ;)

cjacek said:
Tension problems perhaps ? Is the rubber gripping the tape with no slippage etc ... :confused:
I'm no expert either, not even remotely close. In fact, I hadn't thought of the slippage possibility so I'll check that now. If there is a slippage or tension problem, could it be remedied by a novice without risk of further damage? I would like to avoid lugging the beast to the shop if at all possible.

Yup... clean pinch roller and entire tape path. If no good, replace the pinch roller and capstan drive belt.

I was leaning toward the capstan drive belt also.

Perhaps A Reel Person can chime in on this one?

Can that be accessed from opening the bottom, Dave?

Cheers! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I will replace the belt if they're still available through Tascam parts. If not, does anyone know where a comparable belt can be had?

I just noticed it's taking quite awhile for my machine to ramp up to full ff/rw speeds, so I think it is the belt.

Does anyone know if belts from any other Tascam models work with the 388?

You can get the belt from TASCAM @ Montabello, California: Parts Department (323) 727-4840 :)

superbeatballer said:
I just noticed it's taking quite awhile for my machine to ramp up to full ff/rw speeds, so I think it is the belt.

Does anyone know if belts from any other Tascam models work with the 388?
The ff/rw slow start up speed usually points to tapes with sticky shed syndrome more then an actual motor issue as there are no belts on the reel motors, only for the capstan.

As for other similar decks with common belts, the 22-4 and 22-2 open reel decks would likely use the same belt so with any luck TASCAM should still have a fresh new belt for you.

Cheers! :)

I recall an Akai machine I got for free a few years ago. The guy I got it from advertised it as non working and that the ff / rev and play didn't operate as they should. Turns out it had lots of oxide all over the tape path. I cleaned the transport and all was as good as new.

Ryan,

Outside of cleaning the entire transport with 99% alcohol, did you treat the rubber pinch rollers with a rubber cleaner ? Did you open up the bottom and check the belt ? How is it ?

cjacek said:
Ryan,

Outside of cleaning the entire transport with 99% alcohol, did you treat the rubber pinch rollers with a rubber cleaner ? Did you open up the bottom and check the belt ? How is it ?
I just opened up the bottom minutes ago, but I'm unsure of how a good belt should look and feel. Mine seems weak and worn, and when I apply a gentle amount of finger pressure there is alot of give. How should a usable belt feel? What should I look for?

Thanks again for all the help.

Ryan

superbeatballer said:
I just opened up the bottom minutes ago, but I'm unsure of how a good belt should look and feel. Mine seems weak and worn, and when I apply a gentle amount of finger pressure there is alot of give. How should a usable belt feel? What should I look for?

Thanks again for all the help.

Ryan

It should be pretty tight on there. From your description, yours is long overdue for a change.

Back