$3500 mix vs. my mix.

ecktronic said:
Im pretty sure it sounds like its the way the kick drum has been mixed in that is overpowering, but some mastering might have added more low end for some unknown reason. :rolleyes:

Eck

Not knowing what he did in the mastering who can say exactly how much is the mix vs master, but I get the feeling it got alot worse rather than better when mastered.

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
Not knowing what he did in the mastering who can say exactly how much is the mix vs master, but I get the feeling it got alot worse rather than better when mastered.

F.S.
I get what your saying. It was a bit of a hunch. I thought this because the bass guitar doesnt have anywhere near as much low end as the kick drum does, so boosting the low end will have boosted both the kick and bass since they lye in the same region roughly.

Eck

ecktronic said:
I get what your saying. It was a bit of a hunch. I thought this because the bass guitar doesnt have anywhere near as much low end as the kick drum does, so boosting the low end will have boosted both the kick and bass since they lye in the same region roughly.

Eck

You make a good point, but I would point more tward compression in the mastering process to bring up crud in the mix. I think the bass did not have it there to bring up.

Who knows? It's all speculation. I'd love to hear the unmastered version though.

Bummer deal kikkis :( Do you have the unmastered mix?

F.S.

his mix was good in terms of the vox panning. I think it sits better in his mix. However, the kick drum turns to mush on his mix. While the rhythm section is louder and pronounced, they lose a lot of clarity in the bottom end IMO.

I didnt care for the intro to mix B though. It is a cool effect, but just drags out way too long. just try to shorten it up a little. The vox sound like they need something. the pro mix has a little delay on the vocals which I think help fatten them up a little. While the pro mix over does the low end rhythm section, I think B did too little.

I like the low end it may be a little to loud but still pros love a lot of low end dont they? all my major label cds have such a nice loud low end!

3500 is worth more than all my equipment, my guitar and my amplifier. Holy crap.

A is horrible. I'd shoot that son of a bitch for ripping you off.

mrhotapples said:
3500 is worth more than all my equipment, my guitar and my amplifier. Holy crap.

A is horrible. I'd shoot that son of a bitch for ripping you off.

I wouldnt go that far, but it is an interesting thread and experiment. It shows how far home recording, gear, etc. has come. 20 years ago they would be (hopefully) lightyears apart. The fact that the two clips have their supporters and detractors speaks VOLUMES. ;)

I learned a lot when I had my CD mastered by someone with big credentials. It wasnt what I was expecting AT ALL :D Then again, I didnt know what to expect at all. This thread serves as a good example of what to expect, and sometimes it may not even be as good as your own attempt.

Without reading any other posts fisrt.... A is badly distorted on my system so hard to judge. B is a little cleaner. I think B is your simply because the hired engineer would not place that sound at the begining, thats an artist thing. To be honest, and I dont mean to hurt your feelings, I don't like either one. A is the worst.

I love how people are still answering even though he already gave us the answer. Just read the damn thread.

Just listened to the new mix... Thanks for killin the intro...:)

I still like a little more low end, and more definition on the Kick drum (more low and more highs) and a tad bit of 3kish on the bass...

The kick just seems too 'woompy' and wimpy... if that makes sense...

It's a good mix, bit I personally feel like I'm hearing 1/2 of what I wanna hear...It's missing depth. IMO you are extremely close to an awesome tune/mix.

kikkis said:
What do you mean?
I mean that one wasn't really answered, was it?
Perdicament said:
Actually, I dig this tune.... any chance of uploading the tracks so we can all take a shot and mixin 'er down?
Also, I fully agree with that one:
Perdicament said:
Dude meng... you don't even have to have a contest... upload em if yer willing...
I'd love to hear what some of the people here could do with that...

Back