3 golden rules

1. GIGO (Garbage In = Garbage Out)

2. There is no such thing as "set and forget."

3. If you must use eq, try subtractive before additive.

1) Make sure the coffee machine is actually on when you set it to brew
2) Make sure you actually turn on the EQ "in" button when you make EQ changes
3) Make sure you make the invoice out to be 1000...not 10,000. :D
4) Never brag about a project you're working on in public, cause murphy's law said something about, "producers find out about loose lipped mix engineers eventually".

Moral of the story: avoiding silly mistakes, with attention to detail, saves lives

bennychico11 said:
yeah man, look here: http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/28E7FFA053C54A0886256BC3006CE735

XLR inputs on sound cards usually denote that there is a preamp in there. So it's boosting your signal like hell. You need to get an XLR-->TRS (1/4") cable for plugging them in. Then in your software you switch the input over to Line input.

Well, what a day of revelations this has been! Just connected my mixer and soundcard using the 1/4" inputs on my soundcard instead of the XLR inputs, and everything in the world makes sense again (now I know what sense means :) ) getting my mixer to average around 0dBVU is making my recording software happily register at around -15dBFS. I'm also now going to keep well away from 0dbFS in the digital mixing phase as well, previously I wasn't too worried about hitting this mark if things sounded 'powerful'... but I've always known my mixes were too hot, just couldn't stop myself when starting to turn things up :rolleyes:

Now I've learnt my lessons, I just need to record and mix everything again! (I wonder if the guys in the band will mind :rolleyes: )

More recording in general than just mixing, but my 3 cents:

1. Have a goal in mind before you start recording.
2. Do your pre-production work, preparation, and practice before going to the studio.
3. Good communication with the engineer to have him help realize your goal.

1)EVERYBODY GET THE F*&# OUT OF THIS ROOM, IM BUSY NOW!
2)Don't let little emo/punk/hardcore pricks abuse the equiptment, just kick em out, let em keep there money!
3)Don't buy cheap equiptment "just to get started". Save the money, and buy good(great stuff in my world, low-end compared to some ove you pro's)stuff right off the bat.
Bonus: There's nothing wrong with used/vintage stuff if it's working fine.
Double Bonus: Don't make money with stolen(pirated) software!

1. It is almost always better to do less better. Drums sound better mic'd with 4 good channels than with 12 that suck.

2. If you have a great performance of a great song, in a great room, on a great instrument, all you have to go is point a good mic at it, and plug it into a good preamp. If the performance, the song, the room, and the instrument suck, effects and track doubling wiill almost never make it better.

3. The first thing you do after tracking anything is create a backup, even if it sucked. You might need some part of it later.

bennychico11 said:
hey mastering...new logo for your company? (regarding your avatar)

Hi Benny,

Yep, new logo. Will also be redoing the site and am currently setting up a new studio. I promise that I'll have further info once completed.

Thanks for noticing!

mosty of mine have been said already.... :(

1. Meet in advance to discuss project goals and details

2. ABSOLUTELY no smoking eating or drinking in the studio.

3. Always do what you say you will.

I just have one rule:

Don't give away your work.

If you have to work for free, then it's time to accept and cope with the fact that the laws of supply and demand in our free market economy have weeded you out, and you're better fit for another line of work. Time to call Pizza Hut and see if they'll hire you back. :D

Freelance graphic and web site designers can regularly command at least $80/hour for their services ... and the reason they can do this is because they place a premium on their work and set the market price for their services accordingly. Audio should be no different.

masteringhouse said:
Hi Benny,

Yep, new logo. Will also be redoing the site and am currently setting up a new studio. I promise that I'll have further info once completed.

Thanks for noticing!

it looks good, i'll check out the site once you get it up.

Here are a few rules I live by:

1. Make sure the band knows that the time to practice is BEFORE they come to the studio.
  2. If you are not performing, you are sitting quietly, or else you will be asked to leave.
  3. Nobody is allowed in the studio for the initial mix of the material.

1- keep the drummer out of the control room!
2- keeps the drummers hands away from the mixing desk!
3- "damn it! stop messing with the faders....you drummer!"

:D :rolleyes:

Oh yeah I missed my number one golden rule.

Farting in the control room is prohibited and immediate grounds for dismissal.

bryank said:
1- keep the drummer out of the control room!
2- keeps the drummers hands away from the mixing desk!
3- "damn it! stop messing with the faders....you drummer!"

:D :rolleyes:
Funny you should mention that. I had one go "what's this?" as he pulled a hard drive out of the HD24. Since I can't kill all drummers I moved the HD24 out of the reach of children.

Answer depends on context:

Business

1. Get paid for your work
2. Try to give the customer what they want
3. Avoid jobs out of your skill or opinion range

Technical

1. Record good tracks the first time and avoid the “I’ll fix it later” approach
2. Mix based on #2 above
3. Avoid customer involvement until you have a near final result

Practical

1. Be sure customer understands the process and time required
2. Encourage them to perfect their work before recording, not during
3. Establish house rules (drinking, smoking, etc) and stick to them

Ed

I basically have four commandments and one rule....

First Commandment.... Respect my equipment at all times....

Second Commandment.... Respect my environment at all times.....

Third Commandment.... Respect me at all times....

Fourth Commandment.... Never ever EVER hand me a CD and tell me you want to sound like band "X". If you really want that sound, go home and practice for years, get a label to pay the extraordinary bills, build me a multimillion dollar room, staff it with multi platinum engineers and producers, clear 1 to 6 months from your schedule, be ready to have a lot of your songs "re-arranged", and make sure to supply plenty of illegal substances and hookers.

First rule.... Break all rules whenever possible. Never do something just because someone else does or you read it in a magazine. Find out for yourself and break all the rules.

i guess in the end, the third commandment may be negotiable. If you just happen to be a pale skinned green eyed long straight black haired wopman with plenty of jail house tattoos and have me tied and chained up hanging over the console, commandment number three does have some flexibility. That reminds me, I have a phone call to go make;)

masteringhouse said:
Oh yeah I missed my number one golden rule.

Farting in the control room is prohibited and immediate grounds for dismissal.

I would think EVERYONE would immediately dismiss themselves. :eek:

Back