2nd ITB Mix

RFR

Ok, Here we go....for better or worse. :)

Recorded live to tape. No overdubs. SM57s and 58s with 2 teac pencil condensers for room mics.

Transferred to DAW and mixed ITB.

Still learning.

Have fun.
:D

Sounds great, could be good to go as is. Maybe a hint more bass/kick definition? Or ease back the low-mids just a little. Is there a reverb on the kick? I'd shorten it.

Yeah, maybe a tad too much?
Kick on this was a tad troublesome. Not completely happy with it yet either.

Well, that's why we have this place right? New fresh ears, not to mention a variety of different listening environments.

Thanks for the listen and comments.
:)

Vocal sounds a pinch thinner than usual for his voice...and I think it could do a with a touch more level, as the riffing guitar comes off more up front than the vocal...but I love the guitar tones. :)

Hmmm, interesting observation. :) thanks for the input. Usually I'll put the mixes on my phone then plug them into the aux port in ny car stereo. Haven't done that yet on this one.

Guitar again is 62 strat through an older fender amp. A blend of direct and room mics run into seperate channels and panned.
On this particular track i liked it so much that it got center stage so to speak.

I'll look at getting the voc more out there and fatter without sacrificing the guitar.

Thanks!

Who's playing that guitar? Is that Beck or Trower? Man, nice chops and stellar tone. :)
Bass drum does sound like it was recorded room mikes only...needs a bit of help.
Still, exceptional track.

This old bass player had to go back and listen again to see how the bass tone was...it's pretty good, could use a bit (tiny bit) more saturation for the style. I just really didn't even listen for it through that guitar tone my first time through. :eek:

I think it's a very good track. Good playing on all the instruments. My only nits are the bass drums should have a tighter sound. Also, the lead guitar has too much distortion on it for my personal taste. I think a cleaner guitar sound with a lot of volume and sustain would be killer on this.
great work!

Who's playing that guitar? Is that Beck or Trower? Man, nice chops and stellar tone. :)
Bass drum does sound like it was recorded room mikes only...needs a bit of help.
Still, exceptional track.

This old bass player had to go back and listen again to see how the bass tone was...it's pretty good, could use a bit (tiny bit) more saturation for the style. I just really didn't even listen for it through that guitar tone my first time through. :eek:

A guy named Billy Desmond. Great player and an old friend. In his 60s and still rocking hard. Tours all over the US and is in England this summer for a Blues festival.

On the bass, I went in this morning with some saturation plugs to see If I could get a bit more grit. One of my struggles with ITB is it lacks the console fatness and gain staging. When you're used to a console you can use that as an effect all on its own. Ive done a few all analog mixes of this tune that I'm happier with but this old dog needs to learn some new tricks. Once I gain some familiarity with PT and reaper, I'll be going in and out of my console and outboard, but right now it's all about learning to do something acceptable with digital only.

Thanks for the listen.

I think it's a very good track. Good playing on all the instruments. My only nits are the bass drums should have a tighter sound. Also, the lead guitar has too much distortion on it for my personal taste. I think a cleaner guitar sound with a lot of volume and sustain would be killer on this.
great work!

Thanks for listening, Jimi.

Not sure I know what you mean on the drums, care to elaborate?

As to the guitar, well that's just Billy's sound on this tune. Just a vintage Strat going into a vintage Bandmaster. No pedals, hitting the strings hard and pushing the amp into the verge of meltdown range. :D

Fantastic. I'm not a big fan of 1/4/5 blues, but it's well done.

That kik is the only thing that needs help. It's woofy, not tight with a nice snap. I can't even say it's bad for this kind of tune, but my personal preference would be a better kik drum sound. Snare cracks like all git out. In fact, he plays his snare so consistently that if you told me it was sample I'd believe you. That's a good thing, by the way.

Ah, I just heard the ending. Toms can use some low end, too. The kik and toms sound like they're only being captured with room mics, while everything else sound fantastic.

Thanks for the listen. I'm revisiting the mix based on all the comments. Maybe nuking the whole thing and starting over would be good. Seems like I'll work on one thing and that fucks something else up. Hah! I love/hate this daw shit.
Analog you just twiddle a few knobs till it sounds good.:D
But this? You do the slightest little mouse motion and you boosted or cut by 2db.

Thanks everyone for comments both complimentary and critical.
Much apreciated.

Ill be back when I got a new mix.

Ill be back when I got a new mix.
Alright, enjoy the holidays and Merry Xmas. :D

---------- Update ----------

^^^I have no idea what that even means, but it made me laugh when I thought of it.

How prophetic.:D
It may very well take me that long. I'm in a state of disgust over this tune, I'm that sick of it. Haha.

I need a break from this staring at a screen bullshit. :D

I like how the room mics add the dingy blues club feel. Just how I remember it when I used to visit those kind of clubs. But I think the room mics are causing a slapback delay on the kick and causing them to sound boxy. At least to me.

I also like the sparseness of the arrangement. Nice and simple so you can hear every detail. I think the levels are fine. Everything is in its own place and stands out. Okay, maybe a bump up on the high hats.

Cool tune!! Thanks for sharing.

Hey man, Thanks Chili!

Good call on the room mic vib. That was kind of the whole idea. We wanted to capture the vibe of the band as they were in real life. Musicians that played in small clubs. No, dividers were used, or blankets, gobos, ect. Everything bleeding into everything else to some degree.
Re: Highhats. When I brought them up, it also brought up the cymbals to levels way too loud. Not sure how to overcome that itb. Maybe some limiting? Compression?
As to the arrangement, well, there's not a lot you can do with a three person band. Pretty much how they perform is how they're recorded.

Overall Im very pleased with the project, but with my daw inexperience, this is my guinea pig . It is helping me to learn Protools and Reaper, plug ins and everything else that comes with that world

Thankfully, I have good analog mixes too, so I can experiment with itb stuff.

Again thanks.
:)

Thanks, track rat. :D

P80s? Don't know what that means. You talking about the Teac mics?? They were just borrowed, never got the model #.

Actually PE-80's I believe. Yeah, Teac electret condensers. I have a pair somewhere.

AFA killing the cymbals out of the hat track, you could either manually pull them way down or possibly duck them via the cymbal track. Don't know how that would work with a live recording, but def you could make cuts on either side of the cymbal hits and drag the volume of those bits down...I do that on occasion when one piece of the drums gets overbearing. :) Or when a short bit of vocal is too high or too low.

Good idea maybe. But I haven't figured out how to edit in reaper yet
Hell, I can't even figure out how to "fast forward" or "reverse" a track yet.
At least in pt there are buttons for that on the transport.

Just be happy I've learned enough to at least put up some kind of mix. :D

Back