1st string intonation problem

publicradio

Hello, I am trying to correct the buzzing and intonation of my electric guitar, and I can't get the intonation right on the lowest string.

First, I raised the bridge to be about as high as the other ones, and this fixed the buzzing issue I was having. However, when I fret the 12th fret, the octave is way off. I have tried moving the bridge closer and farther away from the nut, but either way the intonation appears to stay the same. See attached:

E2.pngE3.png

I also raised the bridge on the second string and am having a similar problem, though less severe. It's also not staying in tune, though I don't know whether altering one bridge the way I am affects the other strings.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated. If there's a thread dealing with this specific issue, and I missed it, a link would be appreciated too. Thanks.

The intonation can't stay the same if you're moving the witness point. Either your tuner is lying to you, you're not doing it right, your string is dead, or something is hanging up between the bridge and string. Are you comparing 12 fret with 12 fret harmonic? Are you holding it in the playing position while you do that?

The intonation can't stay the same if you're moving the witness point. ?

While you are right in saying that, you are also wrong. I have a thread in here somewhere talking about the same issue with a tune-o-matic bridge. the OP isn't crazy and he is not alone in his frustration. I have seen this sort of thing before.

@publicradio here are some tips for this issue.

Put new batteries in your tuner / try another tuner

If you do not already have some go pick up a little tube of Big Bends Nut Sauce Put a little bit of that (and i stress a little bit, a little goes a very long way) in the groove of your problematic string. this should in theory slick up that groove and you should have some movement back.

If this doesn't work for you, take your guitar to a repair shop or a retialer that does set ups and repairs and see if they can smooth that groove for you with a nutfile. I can't see them charging an arm and leg for it. It could be such a thing you have some metal picks or something in the groove that could be causing the problem.

Try these. I did both of these and it corrected the issue a bit but i still exeprience this weird bermuda triangle of intonation and a bit of nut sauce helps in most cases.

Also when you are intonating and checking the tune are you holding it in playing position. you may not think that gravity plays a part the process of intonation but it certainly does.

Good Luck!!!

Back