Master Band Name Repository

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
I'm constantly thinking "That would be a good band name...."
From now on I'm posting 'em here. Feel free to chime in if you think of a good one.
Maybe someone will use one of 'em someday! :laughings:

Spin Cycle
Nelson Mandala
Mario Speedwagon
Basket of Puppies
Thee Dayglo Unicorn

Don't all jump at once...

So far Pussy Riot is a good name that should be up for grabs ... don't think they will be using their band name for a while.

I'm confused by the whole band name thing. It seems like even the most obscure choices have already been taken.

Every time I think of one, I google it and find that somewhere on the planet there's already a band (or bands) with that name. How does that work? Do people copywrite their band names?

The current name for my "band" was an accident while setting up a Soundclick account years ago (I thought I was just entering a password!). I'd like to change it. Some (already taken) ideas I came up with:

PBR Streetgang
Atomic Watchdog
Vacationland

I'm confused by the whole band name thing. It seems like even the most obscure choices have already been taken.

Every time I think of one, I google it and find that somewhere on the planet there's already a band (or bands) with that name. How does that work? Do people copywrite their band names?

My vague rule is that unless they're a well-known recent act on a label with decent distro, that name is still up for grabs. These days it's too easy for some kid to put up a MySpace or Bandcamp for some project with one thrown together "song". One band I was in played multiple shows before I realized there was some afro-funk band in California that shared the name.

Lots of band names get used several times over. And they are of limited importance-
Nirvana had a completely crappy name and they were hugely influential.... AND the name had already been used at least once-

Nirvana (UK band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought about taking the earnest approach for my personal projects and just using my name....but there's already some schmuck out there with my first and last name pimping his tunes.... I should sue his ass.

Back