DAW Users With ADD

Im hoping for Chiefs and Rams....but the Thanksgiving would make a bit of a repeat.

Cowboys are firing people....OC is gone, the Dez WR who hired into Saints and got broken is laughing (hard feelings being he had a Cowboys tattoo before they cut him?)

Jamming with the tube mic and tube front end....where was the money when I was 15? I might have used this stuff!
Sometimes Im thinking hard on selling it all, weird at 57...things seem less "energetic" to record but the gear is more interesting than using it? I think I started recording really in 79..80 with the Tascam 144....now its 40yrs later? yikes?
I guess its like being an old fart and finally getting the red sports car trying to be 20?

Anyway, I can hear something in the expensive mic and strip, but pretend I paid MSRP, its a $3200 combo.
Lets say I paid MSRP for a cheap LDC MXL and a interface with plugins....with my skill , the limiting factor ,
my homegrown weed-music still hasn't really advanced since 1982. its still fun to create some sounds and noise, but
the gear isn't like "wow! I sound $3000 times better!"

it'd be nice if it was that easy...I guess with autotuners and editing is easier to sound the same, not having to re-record stuff 100 times because of flubs, now just snip/edit/cut/paste and autotuned again....slap on a Master Bus Mastering plug and it does the Loud thing.

Go Rams....

Go Chiefs...

Jamming with the tube mic and tube front end....where was the money when I was 15? I might have used this stuff!
Sometimes Im thinking hard on selling it all, weird at 57...things seem less "energetic" to record but the gear is more interesting than using it? I think I started recording really in 79..80 with the Tascam 144....now its 40yrs later? yikes?
I guess its like being an old fart and finally getting the red sports car trying to be 20?

Anyway, I can hear something in the expensive mic and strip, but pretend I paid MSRP, its a $3200 combo.
Lets say I paid MSRP for a cheap LDC MXL and a interface with plugins....with my skill , the limiting factor ,
my homegrown weed-music still hasn't really advanced since 1982. its still fun to create some sounds and noise, but
the gear isn't like "wow! I sound $3000 times better!"

I started recording using a Teac reel to reel, a Radio Shack mixer and a cassette deck. I would record a drum machine and bass to the reel to reel, then I would play guitar and vocals along with the recording mixed down through the mixer into a cassette deck. All directly plugged in. From there I went to a Fostex four track and things just spiraled downward. These days I have a dedicated recording rig with more power and plugs than I'll ever need and I don't even give recording a thought. I keep telling myself if I ever fall off a ladder and break a hip at work,I'll use that time to create my "masterpiece".:rolleyes:

I want a Chiefs/Rams SuperBowl, but I'm guessing Saints/Pats. On paper it looks like a Chiefs win, but history has the Pats winning.

LATER!!!!

I didn’t really start recording until the digital era. I was in a singing group in the 90’s and we decided we wanted to cut a CD. We went to a local studio and paid $75 an hour. The guy was running a Pro Tools setup on some knd of Mac. We spent over $2000 for recording time, and ended up with something we weren’t thrilled with. Mostly because we didn’t do as many retakes and patches as we should have because... we’ll because we were paying $75 an hour. :eek:

We ended up printing 1,000 CDs and sold quite alot of them at $10 each. Enough to more than get our money back. I said to the boys that rather than spend the money on more recording time, if they would like invest it in recording software and equipment instead, i felt I could learn to do it. Having watched the Pro Tools guy, it didn’t seem all that hard. Word proceesing for notes. Lol.

Anyway FF and we ended up buying Cakewalk 9, a mixing board, an 8 channel interface, a headphone amp, (we already owned microphones), and I joined HR.com where the kind people here assisted me in learning how to use all that shit.

We ended up recording a 2nd CD. It was better than the first, since we now had unlimited recording time. It also was about then that I realized that unlimited recording time, while very helpful toward making a professional recording, was just one piece. Unfortunately, talent was also still a necessary ingredient. :(

We ended up recording a 2nd CD. It was better than the first, since we now had unlimited recording time. It also was about then that I realized that unlimited recording time, while very helpful toward making a professional recording, was just one piece. Unfortunately, talent was also still a necessary ingredient. :(

The problem is the musician's have unlimited time, but the guy doing the mixing and editing has to put in so much time above and beyond that. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to do all this recording stuff and if I have any spare time it's going to be recording ME. I just laugh when people ask me to record them as if it's fun for me.

The problem is the musician's have unlimited time, but the guy doing the mixing and editing has to put in so much time above and beyond that. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to do all this recording stuff and if I have any spare time it's going to be recording ME. I just laugh when people ask me to record them as if it's fun for me.
In my case I sort of volunteered for it. It was somewhat fun at first, but got old pretty fast. I’d do all the same work as the rest of them when recording, and then put 4 times as much time into the mixing/mastering.

Making us bozos sound good is WORK! Lol.

Make that 0 for 2. :(

Well at least we got two pretty good games. Seems like the Pats are both good AND lucky.

Last edited:
I'll root for the Rams... but my give -a-shit meter is to 40%. I got to say the Patriots are so solid they are almost too good, too perfect.
Ive only seen them play twice this year. The Rams Ive seen 3 times and they will play to the end, relentlessly and that paid off Sunday.
But the Patriots seem to be 100% Q1 through to Q4.... I don't see how they can lose.

Chiefs got beat by the Rams on turkey-day... so maybe this is a more interesting game somehow, Rams and Patriots?

Glad I didn't watch the first game because I was too busy, because it would have ruined my day. The 2nd was a good game, and since I didn't have a dog in the race it was fun to watch the kid against the old man. It's amazing how you can watch the oldest person to play QB in a playoff and still just know what's going to happen. Jeez, 41 in the NFL - that's like 85 in couch potato years, at least. Gives me some hope :)

Talk about Goddell having the authority to call a do over in the Saints game. Apparently he can rule that there was pass interference, assess the penalty, and pick up the remander of the game from that point.

Yeah, that’ll happen in my lifetime. :rolleyes:

Good Morning!
Winter is here and has proceeded to kick me in the balls every chance it gets. A high of -7 on Wednesday. I called in when we had 6" of snow the other day and my boss was pissed. I come in to work yesterday and all of the residential guys have the day off because it's "too cold":rolleyes:. My boss told me he has inside work lined up and I better show up, yet he gives 2/3rds of the crew off.:rolleyes:

No football=getting something done...maybe.;)

I've been jumping on the Bucks bandwagon lately, but they have a tough stretch ahead with five road games in a row. I was a bigger fan back in the 80's but they became mediocre for about two decades and never offered much in the way of hope or promise of getting better. When a team representative says they want to field a competitive team, that's code for saying "I hope we don't suck".

I'm buying a new computer tomorrow, it'll be a desktop. I don't like laptops at all and prefer a full size keyboard, even though I still one finger type.:o I don't do any social media, web surfing or transactions over a phone.It's kind of like being a dinosaur these days . I miss my flip phone too, it was better at being a phone than my smart phone will ever be.:mad:

LATER!!!

I've been jumping on the Bucks bandwagon lately, but they have a tough stretch ahead with five road games in a row. I was a bigger fan back in the 80's but they became mediocre for about two decades and never offered much in the way of hope or promise of getting better. When a team representative says they want to field a competitive team, that's code for saying "I hope we don't suck".

LATER!!!
I’m pretty much the same way with The Knicks, except I gave up about a decade before you. :o

Thry were actually one of my all time favorite sports teams in the early 70s. Haven’t really been competitive since, unless you count the Patrick Ewing years. I don’t, because they were only good enough to be second best to Jordan’s Bulls in those years. Plus Ewing was the only guy they’d go to in the clutch, and he was never clutch. :rolleyes:

-7 daaang

Got my "Trump" Taxes done...$900 less than last year with no change in my life. I dont know, the deductible is $12,000 or something so only the big money will have write offs over that. I wonder if I should have a CPA look at it but really all I have is a check and house interest. No kids anymore, no stock sells with capital gains etc...etc...simple blue collar. Not sure why I get $900 less back though? I tried Turbo Tax and HR...both identical results.

funny the # 1 OP of this thread is Patriots fan....I root for the Rams but the Patriots look like transformer robots playing and I wouldnt bet cash against them.

Im heading to one of the 10 GC around here to go grab a used amp,

-7 daaang

Got my "Trump" Taxes done...$900 less than last year with no change in my life. I dont know, the deductible is $12,000 or something so only the big money will have write offs over that. I wonder if I should have a CPA look at it but really all I have is a check and house interest. No kids anymore, no stock sells with capital gains etc...etc...simple blue collar. Not sure why I get $900 less back though? I tried Turbo Tax and HR...both identical results.

funny the # 1 OP of this thread is Patriots fan....I root for the Rams but the Patriots look like transformer robots playing and I wouldnt bet cash against them.

Im heading to one of the 10 GC around here to go grab a used amp,
Are your taxes $900 less or is your refund $900 less? One is good, one not so good. :)

I haven’t done mine yet. I usually owe, so I wait until the very last minute.

I haven't even thought about taxes yet. Last year I splurged and got two pedals I had wanted for quite some time. This year I think it'll be spent before I see it.

my return was $900 less.
my income was unchanged as we didnt get raises.
the house interest and property taxes were a bit lower, but that doesnt matter as I didnt get over the new "$12,000 "new standard".

I admit thats all I know, I dont understand tax tables and I know theres a entire capital hill of politicians who voted the tax bill in and its not Trump on his own....like ObamaCare its not really his solo effort..... its the whole lot of them.

but yeah I will wait for others to chime in. I triple checked it, and $12,000 Standard Deduction thing is new as I understand it but I dont know what the formula is behind all that math. All I do know is nothing changed on my part except the lower return, almost 30% lower in my case?

add> read some articles its normal we get less this year. they were saying it in 2018. So a normal $3000 is now $2000 return was one example.
A lot of people will be paying in a little more if they didnt increase the deductions back in 2018. oh well....weres the vaseline?

good article
Will Income Tax Refunds Be Smaller in 2019? | CPA Practice Advisor

Last edited:
I’m imagining we haven’t heard from Cheesehead because his fingers are frozen to the keyboard. :eek: :)

Looks to be a tad chilly out your way, pal. Brrrrr.

Back