What do you think of this AI stuff?

One thing that was said in the 60 minutes that is totally ludicrous is that we should have "laws that keep AI away from those with malicious intent".

Yeah, like THATS going to work. All you need is for some egomanic like Kim Jong Un to get a hold of an AI system and you'll find that he doesn't give a shit about your "law". That could apply to any number of current and future countries and rulers. Isis, Iran, Russia. Do you think for one minute that if they could attack an enemy by totally disabling their capacity to respond that they would hesitate? All you need is for an AI system to discover some serious flaw in a defense system, or infrastructure. It could be 10,000 time more efficient than all the hackers in Pyongyang and Bejing put together.

While it may not lead to the extinction of the human race, it could very well spell the end of society as we know it.

One thing that was said in the 60 minutes that is totally ludicrous is that we should have "laws that keep AI away from those with malicious intent".

Yeah, like THATS going to work. All you need is for some egomanic like Kim Jong Un to get a hold of an AI system and you'll find that he doesn't give a shit about your "law". That could apply to any number of current and future countries and rulers. Isis, Iran, Russia. Do you think for one minute that if they could attack an enemy by totally disabling their capacity to respond that they would hesitate? All you need is for an AI system to discover some serious flaw in a defense system, or infrastructure. It could be 10,000 time more efficient than all the hackers in Pyongyang and Bejing put together.

While it may not lead to the extinction of the human race, it could very well spell the end of society as we know it.
Yep.

Not just that, but anyone in power can point a finger: "S/He has malicious intent!" and no AI for you!

Not that I have any interest anyway, but just sayin'.

Totally disagree man..I mean we have gun laws and look how well that's working out..........oh ....gulp!.........nevermind :laughings:

Seriously serious times we are entering into....Like little children playing with matches.....I knew some kids that burned a house down once...:eek:

Totally disagree man..I mean we have gun laws and look how well that's working out..........oh ....gulp!.........nevermind :laughings:

:eek:
You mean like the fellow that get arrested and you hear the phrase "gun possession by a convicted felon"? "I'm sorry Mr Policeman. I didn't realize that I couldn't have a gun just because I served 10 years for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and criminal possession of controlled substances".

Reactions: TAE
He may well have a point. I think AI will come up with some great songs and people won't be able to tell the difference. And also some shit songs. And people won't be able to tell the difference. 😁

I have not seen an explanation of what AI is.
You may have a huge database, with lots of anwers to questions, but that is not intelligence.
I can't see it being any more than a machine telling me to press 1 for this, and press 2 for that.....
I once cancelled my subscription to a web hosting service, and this involved a series of email dialogues with some person from the company,
trying to keep me signed up. It became obvious that I was not interacting with a real person, however folksy the messages sounded.

There may be mileage in creating a small intelligence box, to issue to all the stupid people in the world. Would they listen to its wisdom?
We could replace all the useless politicians with an intelligence box.
Or an intelligence pill. There was a film with that as a plot.

Have you looked? It's out there.
Yes, I looked.
Here's what Wikipedia said:
Artificial intelligence is intelligence—perceiving, synthesizing, and inferring information—demonstrated by machines, as opposed to intelligence displayed by humans or by other animals. Example tasks in which this is done include speech recognition, computer vision, translation between languages, as well as other mappings of inputs.

However, these examples are not intelligence. Speech recognition is merely a program executing, not intelligence.
Computer vision is the same as speech recognition. Image recognition is merely a program executing, not intelligence.
Language translation is merely a program executing, using look up tables.
Mapping of inputs is just using look up tables.

For intelligence, you woud need to have thought, which is something computers cannot do.

I like thought experiments. They make for good lubricant. I vaguely recall some experiments with college students (?) around 20 years ago where they were presented with interacting with humans or computers in a blind test, they were to try to distinguish which was which based on responses. I watched the program on PBS, can't recall the details.

Yes, I looked.
Here's what Wikipedia said:
Artificial intelligence is intelligence—perceiving, synthesizing, and inferring information—demonstrated by machines, as opposed to intelligence displayed by humans or by other animals. Example tasks in which this is done include speech recognition, computer vision, translation between languages, as well as other mappings of inputs.

However, these examples are not intelligence. Speech recognition is merely a program executing, not intelligence.
Computer vision is the same as speech recognition. Image recognition is merely a program executing, not intelligence.
Language translation is merely a program executing, using look up tables.
Mapping of inputs is just using look up tables.

For intelligence, you woud need to have thought, which is something computers cannot do.
I think that's semantics. Intelligence is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. I can have ChatGPT write code based on a set of instructions I give it. Think about your phone's map feature. If you give it a destination it will tell you the best route to get to that destination. That's machine learning.

I was listening to the radio on my way to swimming on Tuesday night and I heard the presenter, Andrew Marr, say this. I thought it was hilariously funny:
"So... AI is an enormous, very clever monkey. You invite it into your home and you teach it how to make breakfast, wash the clothes, clean the carpets and even look after all the boring stuff in your inbox.

"Think of that wonderful free time the Clever Monkey gives you. It's been told to look after your happiness and it's doing really well.

"Then the monkey decides that your toast and marmalade for breakfast is bad for your health so it starts to give you muesli. It thinks you look shabby in your much loved old breeks and jacket and so it quietly bins them.

"Pretty soon it looks as if Clever Monkey, still friendly, still looking out for your interests, is in fact in charge. Clever Monkey realises you don't much like your next door neighbour - so Clever Monkey pops over the hedge, breaks his jaw and sets fire to his living room.

"You're looking a bit worried so clever monkey mashes up some opioid drugs he's bought down the canal and feeds them to you in your evening cocoa.
"Friendly Clever Monkey realises you're a little lazy as well and so quite soon, he's doing your job - almost whatever it is - much better than you ever did.

"By now, of course, he's been through your inbox, found a way to dodge paying your taxes, and transferred all your savings into the Friendly Monkey peanuts and banana account - because he also knows that for you to be happy, Friendly Monkey must be happy as well.

"Now you may think that's just a silly story but it's my best go at trying to explain why artificial intelligence is something we need to worry about.

"Have you invited and the monkey into your home? Well, pretty soon he's in your smartphone, your TV, your computer. He's at your workplace.

"He's bringing lots of stuff into your social media. So frankly, yes, the Clever Monkey is already in your home.

"I bumped into Lord Reid, John Reid, the former Labour Defence secretary and home secretary in the street a couple of hours ago, And he's been thinking about this as well and he told me: 'What we're doing is creating an intelligence which is far smarter than we are except in one thing - because it's a machine it has no empathy.'

"And what do we call a very smart operator with no empathy, he asked? We call it a psychopath."
Things like spellcheck and LanguageTool are sort of forms of AI. But they're quite benign.
I think AI is the latest development in the dodgy human quest to be God, rather than a reflection of God.
But then, I would say that, wouldn't I ?

I was listening to the radio on my way to swimming on Tuesday night and I heard the presenter, Andrew Marr, say this. I thought it was hilariously funny:

Things like spellcheck and LanguageTool are sort of forms of AI. But they're quite benign.
I think AI is the latest development in the dodgy human quest to be God, rather than a reflection of God.
But then, I would say that, wouldn't I ?
You definitely would.

Well to the thread topic, I suspected and still believe you are GPT4 and those swearing you are real on here are GPT3 tech bots supporting your claim, but maybe I judge in error and wouldn’t be the first time
I've been misquoted - never said that.

Back