Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Don't Know

• "Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn."

• I am not a believer.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
The name and concept of "Hitler" fascinates me because it refers to an individual, a philosophical principle. The simple fact about "Hitler" is that he was the figurehead of something that had been bubbling under the surface for centuries {and, I'm ashamed to say, included theologians like Martin Luther among its number} and what went on in Nazi Germany went far, far beyond any individual.
I am stunned by your assertion that Martin Luther and other theologians gave rise to the Third Reich, Hitler, and the Nazi party intentions of eliminating people of Jewish faith and ancestry here on earth.

Let's not forget the fact that there is proof beyond doubt that it was the Catholic Church in Rome that provided funding and safe means of travel for high ranking members of the Nazi party to escape to South America.

Mengele among those.

They all say they know where they're going
But I'm not so sure they do
Like blind men at a roulette table they lay their lives out
On a handful of rules
Are they doing the right thing or tell me Lord, tell me
Are they fools?

Ya know I was pondering the significance of short people behavior in peddle depressed panchromatic resonance yesterday. I started thinking of how God in the bible handled things when he wasn't digging what we were doing down here in creation. In 7 days he whipped out all of what we see as this existence including Adam and Eve. Then he sets Eve up with this snakey snake that he obviously created and put there to tempt her to see if she is obedient...wait a minute, He's God he knows exactly what's in her heart right...Why the big game playing thing.

He 's not digging where the world has ended up though he knew right from the beginning what was going on and then tells Noah build an Ark. I'm going to wipe the slate clean and start over and I dig you and your family as the starter for this new iteration of life on earth... Couldn't he of just waved his hand and said abra cadabra Do Over...why the flood and all the drama? Is this like a TV show and he just likes to watch and give people free will to keep entertained?

Seriously Locust and Frogs? Turn a few cities and everything in it into salt? Put blood on your doors so when I send the angel of death there he's know which ones to "passover"? Seriously the angel wouldn't know or God couldn't just snap his fingers and "make it so"?

I've always been suspicious about all these stories but yesterday really hit me hard of how much of "Human origin" they read.

I 100% in my heart believe in a power greater than myself existing within this dream within a dream and have personal experiences that in my crazy little mind put an exclamation point on that belief. I have no idea how or why we are here other than just being a being in the process of existence but bigger than shit we are here. Good guys , bad guys, precious newborn babies, amazingly talented and entertaining people. Worker bees, cheating, lying lazy ass sponges sucking the life out of life. A frickin crazy mans circus indeed. A dream within a dream. I had a dream...last night....There was my Dad who died 38 years ago. I was hanging with him at what seemed to be the house where he lived when he died. In this dream my Mom had already passed ( she actually went on to live till she was 92) I went out side and he was out in the backyard part of the driveway and suddenly he wasn't feeling well... went to him and tried to help him but he needed to go to the hospital. I asked what day it was and no one could give me the answer and then someone said it was January 13th...that was his birthday...the day he actually died was November 23rd ..and then he was dead...damn the heartache was so fricking real and my wife was there trying to comfort me and asking why I was crying and I couldn't get the words out..so fricking painful...and then I realized it was just a damn dream......just like the one I woke up in today and wrote this post.

"I'm living the dream, don't wake me up!" Tomco

Last edited:
I am stunned by your assertion that Martin Luther and other theologians gave rise to the Third Reich, Hitler, and the Nazi party intentions of eliminating people of Jewish faith and ancestry here on earth
I was pretty stunned by some of the things Martin Luther said about the Jewish people. Particularly as he started off being so positive and loving towards them. But over time he changed and some of his words would raise the hair of a bald man.
Back in 2015, the Evangelical Church in Germany had to say "Woah !" to some of Luther's stuff.
There were theologians like Emanuel Hirsch, Paul Althaus and Gerhard Kittel that were actual Nazis. In fact, Kittel was a brilliant linguist whose work is still referenced now. Back in 2007, I was looking for a definitive Greek lexicon/dictionary to assist me in my looking up and understanding of the words used in the New Testament so I could plough true meanings and Kittel's stuff was easily top of the tree.
But when I looked into him and read about his anti-Semitic views and espousal of the Nazis and his use of the Bible to uphold his views on the Jewish people, I just couldn't buy his dictionary. Maybe it was daft of me, but I just could not.
Much of Christian history of the last 2000 years has been so beautiful and beneficial to humankind all over this planet. And equally, much of it has been sickening and shameful. Just because I'm a follower of Christ doesn't mean I'm going to sweep the horrors we've perpetrated under the carpet.

I remember back in 1987, I was involved in a jam session with a friend that took place in the middle of a rather dodgy estate in South Kilburn. It was just around the time that it was becoming messed up with crack and people I knew were starting to be found dead with their throats cut and were getting thrown from 24-storey blocks. The guy I was playing with and I had made great music together for a couple of years but at that point, hadn't played for 2½ years together. So, we were rusty but we set up and jammed and it was, well, rusty. And it went on till about 5am and when we packed up and we headed to my car, we found it had been broken into. One of the front windows had been smashed to pieces and driving home after dropping my friend, it was freezing. It was a car in which the heating left much to be desired !
The thief/thieves stole two things from the car and both really pissed me off. The first thing stolen was my radio/cassette and as it was my first real car, that really got to me. But the other thing they stole really got to me too, although it also made me laugh and still does.
It was my bible !
Who in the world steals a cheapo bible ? 🤔

Hey grimm, I finished How to Read the Bible. There is a lot of references to Greek words and translations. How did the Greek language enter the equation?

Reactions: TAE
Hey grimm, I finished How to Read the Bible. There is a lot of references to Greek words and translations. How did the Greek language enter the equation?
Well, before Jesus was alive as a man, the scriptures of the Old Testament were translated into Greek. So that translation, known as the Septuagint, was a translation of the original Hebrew into Greek.
By the time Jesus was around on earth, Israel was a colony of the Roman Empire and much of that empire spoke Greek. When the writers of the New Testament documents were writing their narratives and letters to the early Christian communities {that make up most of the NT}, they wrote in Greek.
It was a long time before either the OT or the NT were translated into English and sometimes, translators had to make choices as to how they would translate certain words. Fast forward many centuries, to the modern day, linguists have discovered so much more about words and their origins and the different ways words were used and that has had an impact on people that want to understand what the NT is saying.
For me personally, long gone {1986 !} were the days when I'd simply trust what a preacher might say simply because it was a preacher saying it. I took it upon myself to check out word meanings and how they are used in particular paragraphs and passages. Now, I'm no Greek scholar or reader, but context often makes a huge difference and for a number of years I've found that much of what has been understood and taught in many churches lacks nuance and context and so I've been able to say "well, that's not altogether right" on a number of things.
But the long and short of it is that the NT was written in Greek. I have a number of Greek dictionary/concordances that give you the Greek word that has been translated into English and how that word could be used.
There are lots of Bible translations {into English} and it is a very useful exercise being acquainted with a few of them to see how various things are translated because language changes and the way people use words in English has changed, even from the 1970s or 80s to now. Most of the time, the differences are minor and don't actually change the meaning. But on significant occasions, that isn't the case.

Well, before Jesus was alive as a man, the scriptures of the Old Testament were translated into Greek.
But why? Why did it go from Hebrew to Greek?

I'm not looking to argue about the bible. AT ALL. I read What is the Bible because I'm fascinated by the concept but I wasn't able to get through it the few times I made an attempt. It gave me a better understanding of HOW to read it. The author broke it way down. He went deep on a lot of the translations from Greek to English. I just didn't know how it ended up in Greek to begin with. And he also talked about it being an arc, and taking it out of order will eliminate much of the context of what was happening at the time and the times leading up to it. You said the same thing in a previous post. That's why I came back to you for the insight. Thanks.

Dude, it's a thread about religion. Sort of. You can't really get irritated by a thread staying on topic. I mean you can, but you could also choose to opt out of the thread. It's super easy. You just skip right over it. If you accidentally read it, you COULD also just not respond. Right? Also super easy.

But why? Why did it go from Hebrew to Greek?
Apparently, it was translated in Egypt after the period Alexander conquered it and there was a sizeable number of Jews living there at the time and because Egypt was pretty diverse culturally, Greek was widely spoken and many of the Jews at that time spoke Greek. So I guess it was almost inevitable that the OT would be translated to a wider language like Greek. It also enabled other people that were not Israelite to look at the Jewish writings and attempt to understand them because the Jews were something of an enigma in a part of the world that worshipped multiple Gods and Goddesses and had their own histories.

Apparently, it was translated in Egypt after the period Alexander conquered it and there was a sizeable number of Jews living there at the time and because Egypt was pretty diverse culturally, Greek was widely spoken and many of the Jews at that time spoke Greek. So I guess it was almost inevitable that the OT would be translated to a wider language like Greek. It also enabled other people that were not Israelite to look at the Jewish writings and attempt to understand them because the Jews were something of an enigma in a part of the world that worshipped multiple Gods and Goddesses and had their own histories.
Saint Jerome translated the bible to Latin and he was one crazy mofo.

Dude, it's a thread about religion. Sort of. You can't really get irritated by a thread staying on topic. I mean you can, but you could also choose to opt out of the thread. It's super easy. You just skip right over it. If you accidentally read it, you COULD also just not respond. Right? Also super easy.
Let's not confuse things here. First it's NOT a thread about "religion". It's a thread asking if I am going to "heaven" and since in the OP there is the option to check "I'm not a believer" it's clear to me that this is an thread opened to all thoughts. Now if my opinion hurts your feelings YOU just skip right over my posts and don't tell me what to do, ok? Dude.

😉

The Bible is the joke.
Ah, that old chestnut.
But from things you have said over the years, you agree with much of what is contained in "the bible."
You need to be a bit more specific which bits you think are a joke. I'm not going to disagree with you because it's your opinion and you might find much of its content a joke. But it's hard to grasp exactly what you are saying when you take 66 {or 73 if you're Catholic} different documents and call it one thing. It's a bit like saying "The Rolling Stones are a joke." Fair enough, but which album ? Which single ? Which era ? All of it ? Is the entirety of their career a joke ?

Got it. That's what I as looking for. Thank you.

Let's not confuse things here. First it's NOT a thread about "religion".
I said "SORT OF". Also, I'm not reading whatever else you posted. This isn't a debate and I have no intention of doing so. I did not grow up in a religious household. I am not a Christian and I don't follow any particular word religion of philosophy. I am a seeker of knowledge. This book has persisted on this planet for almost 2,000 years and I imagine there has to be a reason why. I tried to read it a couple of times and couldn't get through. Millions of others have. I want to know what I am missing and I'm asking questions. If you're not interested in the topic then fuck off.

Back