Repairing stuff

Smithers XKR

Hello all

I have tried repairing electronic and physical stuff.... couple of things on my classic car.... couple of bits of electrical music equipment... hinges for one of my turntables etc.. putting in a new motor for an old tape deck... I am basically useless and a lot of frustration and a lot of head scratching but when you get it right it is the best feeling in the world 🥰

I love fixing things, it will save our planet. Young people should learn and not throw things away at the first opportunity as is their throw away culture now. There is a movement where engineers and technitions are offering help for people to fix their appliences. I think we can save our environment and planet instead of sending it all to landfill in the Phillipenes.

Any thoughts?

I'm basically hopeless at fixing most things but where I can, I will. And if I can't, then I'll look for someone that can. I'm actually in the process of doing both at the moment with hardware from my drum kit and software from my electric kick.
In terms of finding the hardware, one just has to do much looking about, depending on what it is that needs fixing.

I'm basically hopeless at fixing most things but where I can, I will. And if I can't, then I'll look for someone that can. I'm actually in the process of doing both at the moment with hardware from my drum kit and software from my electric kick.
In terms of finding the hardware, one just has to do much looking about, depending on what it is that needs fixing.
Yes agreed Grim, a lot of replacement parts for old stuff we can get now, even if it is Chinese stuff... I binned a lovely Aiwa CAW20 double tape deck from 1984 a few years ago as the motors had burned. It was a brilliant machine, speakers and radio and just the best ghetto blaster of its time, really good quality machine. I could have got 2 good aftermarket motors for £40, bah humbug!!!

I will never throw anything away now. Anything can be fixed xxx 👍

What is the electronic kit? Lot of stuff on ebay. You can get an Alesis DM5 with the module for £225

Being able to repair stuff is very important. If you or someone else are doing it doesn’t really matter. But just the act of repairing rather than tossing is beneficial to the world.
There’s all this ‘save the planet’ hypocrite mentality while the same people are disposing stuff left and right to keep the wheels of profit going.

Here’s an excellent documentary about the disposable society we live in. How it came about, why, and how it ties in with economic growth.

What is the electronic kit? Lot of stuff on ebay. You can get an Alesis DM5 with the module for £225

Being able to repair stuff is very important. If you or someone else are doing it doesn’t really matter. But just the act of repairing rather than tossing is beneficial to the world.
There’s all this ‘save the planet’ hypocrite mentality while the same people are disposing stuff left and right to keep the wheels of profit going.

Here’s an excellent documentary about the disposable society we live in. How it came about, why, and how it ties in with economic growth.

Agreed RFR.... I get slagged off for driving an old classic Jag... to which I say... I drive less than 1000 miles per year... I cycle, I walk to the shops, my phone is 5 years old, my desktop is a 10 year old recycled upgraded machine.... Your Prious causes more environmental damage than a BMW M3, you get new phones and new tablets for you and your wife and your organic children every year. My carbon footprint is an absolute FRACTION of yours so.... FUCK OFF!!!

A good razor can be handed down through many generations. All you have to buy is blades.

Why do they sell ‘disposable’ razors? Money. Pure and simple. A product you use can be sold to you over and over again.

A lot more profit than selling just blades.

Prior to the modern razor everyone used folding razors that you sharpened. Didn’t even have to buy blades for that tool.

Same thing with a Zippo lighter. Fill it, every once in a while buy flints and it will last generations.

What you have now? Disposable Bic lighters. Use them throw away.

All this stuff ends up in a landfill.

Which, btw is one of these ‘Whitewashed’ terms. It sounds nicer than trash pile.

What is the electronic kit?
Back in 2004 I bought an electric Roland kit and I customized it over a year and a half. The brain only had stereo outputs so I bought a brain that had 10 outputs, mesh-head snare etc. At the time, I was in downsize mode and thought that VSTis was the way to go.
But it didn't work out that way. I never really liked the electric kit and within 2 years had gone back to an acoustic one {I did a similar thing with double bass}. Thing is though, one of the drummers I used to record with, being a teenager at the time, was, like many teens on an instrument that you hit, prone to wildness. And while it was great for learning how to record drums, I found that with him in particular, my bass drum mic was often full of sounds from the rest of the kit that rendered the bass drum almost inaudible so I thought it would be an idea to get an electric kick drum, a basic brain and keep the kick sounds really separate. I was also experimenting with using a suitcase as a bass drum. All a challenge, but ultimately worth it. 13 or so years on, I still use that electric kick sometimes. But at the moment it needs seeing to. I don't know what make it is. It just has "Session Pro" on the back. It could be by anyone.
Lot of stuff on ebay
I recently got my Arbiter Flat-Lites snare fixed and bought a wooden snare on Ebay {which I've not opened yet} so I have one plastic, one metal and one wood.
Because of a recent experience, I'm a little wary of buying electrical things on Ebay. It'll pass though.
You can get an Alesis DM5 with the module for £225
I wouldn't buy an electric kit again, just the kick.

Sorry I did not mean to have a rant, very sorry. I am struggling to get better, sorry

Back in 2004 I bought an electric Roland kit and I customized it over a year and a half. The brain only had stereo outputs so I bought a brain that had 10 outputs, mesh-head snare etc. At the time, I was in downsize mode and thought that VSTis was the way to go.
But it didn't work out that way. I never really liked the electric kit and within 2 years had gone back to an acoustic one {I did a similar thing with double bass}. Thing is though, one of the drummers I used to record with, being a teenager at the time, was, like many teens on an instrument that you hit, prone to wildness. And while it was great for learning how to record drums, I found that with him in particular, my bass drum mic was often full of sounds from the rest of the kit that rendered the bass drum almost inaudible so I thought it would be an idea to get an electric kick drum, a basic brain and keep the kick sounds really separate. I was also experimenting with using a suitcase as a bass drum. All a challenge, but ultimately worth it. 13 or so years on, I still use that electric kick sometimes. But at the moment it needs seeing to. I don't know what make it is. It just has "Session Pro" on the back. It could be by anyone.

I recently got my Arbiter Flat-Lites snare fixed and bought a wooden snare on Ebay {which I've not opened yet} so I have one plastic, one metal and one wood.
Because of a recent experience, I'm a little wary of buying electrical things on Ebay. It'll pass though.

I wouldn't buy an electric kit again, just the kick.
I have an SR16 it is nice but I prefer to use a keyboard as I am not a drummer.

A good razor can be handed down through many generations. All you have to buy is blades.

Why do they sell ‘disposable’ razors? Money. Pure and simple. A product you use can be sold to you over and over again.

A lot more profit than selling just blades.

Prior to the modern razor everyone used folding razors that you sharpened. Didn’t even have to buy blades for that tool.

Same thing with a Zippo lighter. Fill it, every once in a while buy flints and it will last generations.

What you have now? Disposable Bic lighters. Use them throw away.

All this stuff ends up in a landfill.

Which, btw is one of these ‘Whitewashed’ terms. It sounds nicer than trash pile.
Thank you, you are kind. Cheers

Back