Please Delete my Account

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
I have posted youtube videos that got copied and re-posted outside of my control.
We just have to accept what happens after we post.
I remember back around 2007, I wrote a review of an album by a guy called Jimmy Hotz called "Beyond the Crystal Sea" on a site called Heavenly Grooves. About 8 or 9 years later, I happened to be reading this review of the same album on a completely different site and I was struck by the quality of the review. I remember thinking that that genre of music {Christian rock} rarely got intelligent, insightful reviews with any depth and I really enjoyed it. But parts of it seemed familiar and I found myself thinking that this was the kind of thing I'd've written.
And it was !
It was a record selling site and someone had taken my review and just copied and pasted it onto the blurb around the record. I'd only ever seen a review of that album by a guy called Ken Scott who is known as "The Archivist" and loads of sites tended to crib his reviews because he was far and away the leading authority on these hundreds of really obscure records.
I had to laugh that someone had cribbed my review but I was also flattered because they'd obviously thought it was worthwhile....and "Heavenly Grooves" soon disappeared from cyberspace.

I remember back around 2007, I wrote a review of an album by a guy called Jimmy Hotz called "Beyond the Crystal Sea" on a site called Heavenly Grooves. About 8 or 9 years later, I happened to be reading this review of the same album on a completely different site and I was struck by the quality of the review. I remember thinking that that genre of music {Christian rock} rarely got intelligent, insightful reviews with any depth and I really enjoyed it. But parts of it seemed familiar and I found myself thinking that this was the kind of thing I'd've written.
And it was !
It was a record selling site and someone had taken my review and just copied and pasted it onto the blurb around the record. I'd only ever seen a review of that album by a guy called Ken Scott who is known as "The Archivist" and loads of sites tended to crib his reviews because he was far and away the leading authority on these hundreds of really obscure records.
I had to laugh that someone had cribbed my review but I was also flattered because they'd obviously thought it was worthwhile....and "Heavenly Grooves" soon disappeared from cyberspace.
As a machinist I once had to copy a part. I did the measurements etc, drew up a blueprint and made the part and sent it and the print out. A couple of years later working in another job shop the same part came in to be made and it was my blueprint lol. I once had a blueprint of a part drawn by Bum Suk Wang. I had to call the guys over, we were dying.

Moderation on this site is almost non existent. It certain curtails my interest and involvement, as the site doesn't seem long for this world if the people who are supposed to care the most don't seem to.

Why? What kind of posts curtail your interest and involvement? Do what I do participate in topics that interest me, and ignore the ones where people are going off on one - or posting garbage. BUT - the people who do join on those topics seem to like them, so I simply leave them to it.

Why? What kind of posts curtail your interest and involvement? Do what I do participate in topics that interest me, and ignore the ones where people are going off on one - or posting garbage. BUT - the people who do join on those topics seem to like them, so I simply leave them to it.
The community part of any forum extends past a couple topics. There really isn't any community because the interpersonal level stuff is toxic. I should add there does seem to be some community among the few resident trolls.

You basically described what I do, but on the few other forums I visit there's much more comradery. If I wander into topics or sections where 'community' would exist here I'm quickly repelled by the sheer lack of civility and overall dumbasses occupying those spaces. Kinda like big aggressive walruses on a beach. You can't reason with them, can't move them. Better to just find another beach.

Someone stole my car. It had my phone, wallet, social security card, drivers license, house keys, work security badge, and my lunch.... I now live under a pier.
Cheers

The best way to leave is just leave. Not many people will remember you after a year.
There is a way I think without getting banned. If you gotto your profile and change the password. simply type in a number of random keys into the new password option. Then highlight and copy to the confirm password option and select save. then you do not know your password to log on Then all is ok, you can not log on again. No stress, no heartache and no-one trolling you and making you feel depressed. I am going to try that XXX

There is a way I think without getting banned. If you gotto your profile and change the password. simply type in a number of random keys into the new password option. Then highlight and copy to the confirm password option and select save. then you do not know your password to log on Then all is ok, you can not log on again. No stress, no heartache and no-one trolling you and making you feel depressed. I am going to try that XXX
The email you registered with can always be used to perform a password reset, and in order to change an email on most systems you have to click a confirmation link sent to the new email, so even if you wanted to just put in a random email you'd be thwarted there as well.

Deleting an account is tricky. Members can't do that, but mods have a couple of ways: the easiest is to mark the member as 'spam' which then removes the member and all content. The other way is to ban the member, then select all content and delete it.

Members should check the terms of use regarding their content: "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."

It is true that there has been little moderation in recent times. There are just three mods who are very much part time currently. I spend most of my modding time clearing out spam bots each day.

It is also true that over recent years there has been little need for moderation, with few reports coming in. While there will be more reportable posts than posts actually reported, the number of reported posts is a reasonable indication of the civility (or otherwise) of the forum.

The onus is on the member to report posts that breach the terms of use. The mods do not have the time to go through every forum scouring for offensive content.

The onus is also on the member to post in a way that doesn't breach the terms of use, see: "You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct."

It's not hard to abide by the above.

The terms of use do not preclude banter. But I recognise that some will use the word 'banter' to disguise deliberate provocation.

Back