The greatest ever rock guitar sound

Smithers XKR

I would say probably maybe Eddie Van Halen on 5150 album but I think this would be my choice.

It is sublime perfection by Alex.

That's a great pick Smithers. I love Alex's tones on much of the Rush albums. I really like EVH tone on the 1st two albums. There have been so many great guitar sounds over the years that I wouldn't be able to pick one as the greatest.

Hmm, I don’t think there’s a ‘perfect’ sound. It’s all mix and song relative.

The guitar sound for Black Sabbath’s “Iron Man” is perfect for that band and song.

The guitar sound for Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Games” is perfect for that song.

Etc, etc, etc.

The trouble with finding the best "rock guitar sound" is that there are too many variations, especially since you have to throw in the amp and pedals. It's like saying something is the best keyboard sound.

Personally, I like a nice clean Stratocaster sound, unless I'm playing a Tele or something with humbuckers. P90s can be nice too.....

I'm a 44 years old guy, and the rock of 90's is the music that touches my fiber, but for my ears all actual rock sounds better than old.
Today the sound is fuller and bigger.

The words "greatest" and "ever" should be forbidden from ever entering the same continent, let alone dictionary, let alone thread ! 🤡 😰
I don't know which would be easier to pick, the plethora of guitar tones that I love or the few I can't stand or the ones I'm indifferent to. Some of the ones I've come up with myself would even make it into the bag of tones I love ~ and I wasn't even looking for those tones. And I can think of two or three of mine that would definitely make it into the list of those I can't stand.

Sometimes, it's hard to differentiate the actual tone of a particular guitar from the part it happens to be playing at that point that my love is identified. Equally, there are guitar parts that I think are fantastic, but when I stop to think of the actual tone of the guitar, the tone in and of itself is, well, lame. For example, I don't think the tone of the fuzz guitar in "Satisfaction" passes muster. But the part itself is a heavyweight among heavyweights.
I think Ritchie Blackmore's solo in "Hey Joe" is superlative in every which way ~ except for its actual sonics which I've long found to be weedy, tinny and lame.
John McLaughlin's tones on "Extrapolation" are in direct contravention with their brilliance throughout the songs on the album. Blossom Toe's guitar parts on the "We are ever so clean" album hold so many of the songs together and are sonically lovely ~ but rather invisible when the entirety of the songs are taken into account.
And Mick Ronson's guitar tones with David Bowie stand tall {I love his tones on "The Supermen", "Queen Bitch" and "Cracked Actor"}, but they all pale alongside the simple acoustic strumming of "Space Oddity."
And so on and so forth.

The words "greatest" and "ever" should be forbidden from ever entering the same continent, let alone dictionary, let alone thread ! 🤡 😰
You're right especially since ever is a really long time beyond now and before. A wise and amazing player buddy of mine once told me...music is not a competition... so true... There are intangibles like the top10, top 100, best selling these are real numbers and statistics that can not be argued so yeah that's cool..They show us a volume that is measurable..It's a fact. Things like the Grammys, American Idol, The voice are competitions with judges or voters....that is not tangible it relies on opinions and we all know about opinions ...I smell an asshole yuck! They are subjective and thus meaningless to anyone other than the judge and the Kool aid drinkers that want to join the party.

So in a thread like this, which seem to happen all the time, we who choose to expound upon our wisdom are the judges / assholes and in the end it will be a non conclusive exercise in futility... That said my vote is Jimi because well...He's Jimi Lot of guitarist with amazing sounds but Jimi took what could be done with a guitar to a whole other level...IMO ignorant non guitar playing opinion just as a musician and observer...

On sound... not in any particular order (except for Jeff who's freeway jammin in heaven today) some of my personal favs that come to mind
Jeff Beck
Clapton
Jimmy Page
David Gilmore
Duane Allman
Carlos Santana
Glen Buxton
Buck Dharma last days of May
Rory Gallagher
Roy Clark
Glen Campbell
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Robin Trower...
Eddie
Randy
Harrison
Satriani
Vai
Fripp
Petty

You're right especially since ever is a really long time beyond now and before. A wise and amazing player buddy of mine once told me...music is not a competition... so true... There are intangibles like the top10, top 100, best selling these are real numbers and statistics that can not be argued so yeah that's cool..They show us a volume that is measurable..It's a fact. Things like the Grammys, American Idol, The voice are competitions with judges or voters....that is not tangible it relies on opinions and we all know about opinions ...I smell an asshole yuck! They are subjective and thus meaningless to anyone other than the judge and the Kool aid drinkers that want to join the party.

So in a thread like this, which seem to happen all the time, we who choose to expound upon our wisdom are the judges / assholes and in the end it will be a non conclusive exercise in futility... That said my vote is Jimi because well...He's Jimi Lot of guitarist with amazing sounds but Jimi took what could be done with a guitar to a whole other level...IMO ignorant non guitar playing opinion just as a musician and observer...

On sound... not in any particular order (except for Jeff who's freeway jammin in heaven today) some of my personal favs that come to mind
Jeff Beck
Clapton
Jimmy Page
David Gilmore
Duane Allman
Carlos Santana
Glen Buxton
Buck Dharma last days of May
Rory Gallagher
Roy Clark
Glen Campbell
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Robin Trower...
Eddie
Randy
Harrison
Satriani
Vai
Fripp
Petty
Sorry TAE, didnt mean to be controversial. Get what you are are saying about "greatest ever" with anything to do with music. It is entirely subjective 😀👍👍

Reactions: TAE
Hold my beer, Beck then Hendrix.
Jimi was the pioneer of sound that all others took forward. His raw natural sound and inovative use of effects. I watched Jeff Beck playing effortlessly with his thumb and finger and creating a beautiful tone and his fluid style, a true great

The trouble with finding the best "rock guitar sound" is that there are too many variations, especially since you have to throw in the amp and pedals. It's like saying something is the best keyboard sound.

Personally, I like a nice clean Stratocaster sound, unless I'm playing a Tele or something with humbuckers. P90s can be nice too.....
Maybe I opened a can of worms. I am sorry, it was not my intention.

Sorry TAE, didnt mean to be controversial. Get what you are are saying about "greatest ever" with anything to do with music. It is entirely subjective 😀👍👍
I think the guy Recycle has either gone or been kicked out, do you know? He made some controversial comments but I would not have kicked him out for that. I posted a lot of comments when I first came on here and took a lot of criticism personally and got angry when the mod accused me of trolling and went full barrel with abuse to get thrown out and banned. I think it is just a learning process

Back