iPad to Audio Interface to Mixer to yet again, another Audio Interface

derekp

OK, so here's my setup normally. I have a Behringer mixer running through my Focusrite audio interface. My monitors run through the mixer.

Now here's what I'm trying to do.

I have an iPad that I'm running through a separate audio interface for live performance purposes. It shows that it is connected. Then, I use an 1/4" line in from the 1st channel running into a line in channel in the mixer, but I'm not hearing any sound coming through the monitors. Any advice?

I would first check the 1/4" line.

Do both tips look like the first (TS) or second (TRS) of these.

ts trs.jpg

That's a TS line.

You may need to use a 1/4 TS to 1/4 TSR TRS adapter, or cable with TS/TRS ends. Not sure about your Focusrite interface, but my Tascam's L/R Outs use 1/4 TRS.

Last edited:
I know it's a mess of wires, but I took some pics for a visual.

I'm trying to play the music from my iPad which is hooked up with an adapter that feeds to a USB hub. The hub also connects to the M-Audio audio interface.
My Behringer Xenyx 1202 has main outs going to my Focusrite audio interface (which is linked to my desktop PC). The main outs go to the two line-ins in the Focusrite. Monitors are linked to my Focusrite audio interface.

What am I missing? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_173947621.jpg
    IMG_20221105_173947621.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20221105_173953596.jpg
    IMG_20221105_173953596.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
I just hooked up the RCA main outs in the M-Audio interface to one of my monitors. That's a work around, but still want to figure out how to get the original mixer idea to work.

OK, so now I've figured out how to get the iPad/M-Audio interface to go through the mixer using the RCA white and red in (on the mixer) and pushing the CD tape to mix button. That said, no sound out of the monitors. Maybe the better question at this point is, if I did a live show, what do I hook my audio interface up to?

What I was thinking was you might need a line with TS on one end and TRS on the other. The TRS comes out of your interface and the TS end goes into a mixer line input, like a guitar. A TS to TRS adapter would have let you convert one TS end of your original line to a TRS. A new line would need TS on one end, TRS on the other end. Your new line isn't TRS both ends, is it?

What I was thinking was you might need a line with TS on one end and TRS on the other. The TRS comes out of your interface and the TS end goes into a mixer line input, like a guitar. A TS to TRS adapter would have let you convert one TS end of your original line to a TRS. A new line would need TS on one end, TRS on the other end. Your new line isn't TRS both ends, is it?
At this point I’m certain it is not a chord issue. It’s a matter of plugging something in the right place. Yes, my new line is TRS both ends. I think my idea of connecting a line-in in the interface to a line-in the mixer just doesn’t work. I can hear everything in headphones in the interface coming from the iPad, and if I plug an RCA directly into a monitor/speaker, it works.

I think it should be TRS out of the interface (monitor out) and TS into the mixer's (guitar) line in.

I don't know which Behringer mixer you have Derek but I have had a couple and the both had 1/4" balanced line (TRS) inputs.

The guy in the video is holding the right cable to go into RCA sockets but that might not be your best option as I shall tell you soon. Ideally then you need a 1/8" STEREO jack plug to two MONO (TS) jack plugs and they go into say, line 4/5. A line input will give you more control over level, balance Land R or pan. The signal will also go, by default to the main mix bus and hence to the master fader and line outs (prob' two sets. Control Room and Main Out) You will also I think have an AUX or FX send.

The 'problem' with the RCA inputs is that they are controlled by two buttons. "CD to Ctrl Rm. CD to Mix" and you have to send them a'right or no sound and buttons can get bumped! Also, a certain button push combination can result in feedback...NOT what you want mid-gig!

If you already have the mini jack to RCA cable all is not lost. RCA to TS jack adapters are cheap and very reliable. Get Gold plated ones if possible. I shall find you a picture.

The headphone/stereo/balanced input situation is one that often causes problems.

Dave.

I don't know which Behringer mixer you have Derek but I have had a couple and the both had 1/4" balanced line (TRS) inputs.

The guy in the video is holding the right cable to go into RCA sockets but that might not be your best option as I shall tell you soon. Ideally then you need a 1/8" STEREO jack plug to two MONO (TS) jack plugs and they go into say, line 4/5. A line input will give you more control over level, balance Land R or pan. The signal will also go, by default to the main mix bus and hence to the master fader and line outs (prob' two sets. Control Room and Main Out) You will also I think have an AUX or FX send.

The 'problem' with the RCA inputs is that they are controlled by two buttons. "CD to Ctrl Rm. CD to Mix" and you have to send them a'right or no sound and buttons can get bumped! Also, a certain button push combination can result in feedback...NOT what you want mid-gig!

If you already have the mini jack to RCA cable all is not lost. RCA to TS jack adapters are cheap and very reliable. Get Gold plated ones if possible. I shall find you a picture.

The headphone/stereo/balanced input situation is one that often causes problems.

Dave.
Thanks for the feedback. That said, I don't know what video you are referring to.

I finally figured it out with some help from this video:

I plugged a 3.5 mm plug into the headphone jack the M-Audio interface, and then used a 1/4" adapter on one of the RCA ends of the same plug and plugged into a line-in channel. Might not be ideal, but it works and it's coming out of both monitors. In other words, a 3.5mm to RCA plug is used. Alternatively and probably an even better plug would be a 3.5 mm to 1/4" stereo plug.

Last edited:
Back