Is the AKAI MG1212 and 1214 worth buying today?

I have an mg1212 that mostly works. But for some reason after recording 6 tracks.......track 7 recording erases track 1, track 8 erases track 2 and so forth....
I have 3 ripped apart but transports do work. Those are my projects.
Another one which I have not messed with, but know it needs loading gear fixed.
A fully working mg14d I just obtained
An mg1214 I have purchased but it's a thousand miles away........so I plan on picking it up in next 2 months.
That will make 7 machines. I really thrive on comparing the machines, trying to determine what's "off" with one versus the other. Plus they are split between two areas of the country, some in Washington state and some in state of Nebraska. I got into these machines because I had an mg614 as a kid which was soooooo freaking awesome

Please someone tell me what this schematic means. I understand the transistor symbol. What are all the dashed lines and 1,2,3 with circles?

Attachments

• 20220522_135300.jpg
    20220522_135300.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Thanks for the scan. Have two mg614's which got me into the 1214 series too. The build quality is very impressive.

Had a look at the 1214 service manual, one of the best I've come accross, literally everything is in there.

Last edited:
Please someone tell me what this schematic means. I understand the transistor symbol. What are all the dashed lines and 1,2,3 with circles?
These are probably your primary secondary tertiary taps per transformer on the assembly

Last edited:
Question. What connectors does this machine use? Board to board are small JST style connectors. They are 2.54 mm pitch. I have some from various manufacturers including TE Connect, that fit as far as pins are concerned. The actual housing is what I cannot find. Slight variations in these types are what is not allowing them to click together properly. This would help so I never insert any backwards. I have searched the web, mouser, digikey etc,,,,,for HOURS with no exact matches.

For example... there is an AKAI MG1212 not far from me for about $200. Guy is unable to verify anything about it, as he is not a musician and just got it with a bunch of other equipment from an estate sale etc.

I was considering picking it up, and repairing anything on it within reason. it seems it had a very high quality mixer section even without the Tape portion working. Thoughts?

Also, anyone know the differences between the 1212 and 1214? I also found a 1214 with a few missing faders, but working.

Thanks!
Honestly, l would say no. We were looking at one before we left LA the first time in 2020, it was dirt cheap but l decided to pass. We're still using a Tascam 388. I put a link to a cover we did of 21st Century Schizoid Man on another thread. When we got it 10-12 years ago, you could pick one up any day of the week for $200. Now they are $2500 to $5000 which is insane. But l was very happy with the recordings we made. Ours has the 15k head mod, don't ask me what that is, and there is still no high end but it's ok. It's my 2nd one and the 15k mod is night and day better than stock. All we did was replace the belt and roller, cleaned and demagnetized and she fired right up.

Don't know how parts would be on the Akai. We had no problem finding good tape in Hollywood. You really want the thin base tape because it sticks to the heads better. We bought a Korg D-888 and l didn't care for it at all. Then we found a Yamaha MTX-8 the first one, and that sounds as good as the 388. But l like the Tascam board better. The Yamaha is a little dark. I would highly recommend the MTX over the Akai. Use 90 minute tapes.

I'm still a 100% analog guy. We got a couple vintage tube preamps, not pictured, that really make the 388. But l would not recommend the 388 because it isn't worth what people are asking, especially without the head mod. We master to a DAW which is fine, but l don't like how my guitar sounds when recorded to DAW, even though tape really has no high end by comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20220605_073101.png
    IMG_20220605_073101.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 11
I'm looking for this 3 pin vertical RCA mount from the mains and monitor out section, please let me know if you have a spare for sale or generic part number, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    685 KB · Views: 2
If you have one, like I did, just make sure to align, de-mag and clean the heads, and bounce all tracks
simultaneously to digital (or good tape) otherwise like me you'll be stuck with unusable session tapes! grrr.

You might want to try posting in the gear for sale forum instead of tagging onto an unrelated topic. Also might help if you clarify what “dmv”...that means Department of Motor Vehicles to me. Also more detail as to your MG1212’s cosmetic and operating condition as well as what you hope to sell it for...pictures are helpful too.
Hey Sweetbeats, I have about 6 tunes I recorded on the MG1212 back in the late 80s that I need to figure out a way to convert the individual tracks to wave files so I can edit in Logic. Do you still have your machines or know anyone who has one? Thanks, Derek

Hey Sweetbeats, I have about 6 tunes I recorded on the MG1212 back in the late 80s that I need to figure out a way to convert the individual tracks to wave files so I can edit in Logic. Do you still have your machines or know anyone who has one? Thanks, Derek
No I sold them as a pair a number of years ago.

There are at least a couple relatively active members here though with semi to fully-functioning units, so hopefully they’ll check in.

Back