Introduction: My struggle with home recording

Do you keep the levels of both left and right the same, or do lower the volume on one or the other? Also, does it have to be re-recorded, or can it just be a duplicate of the same track? I've tried re-recording them before when doing pans and they just sound weird.
Record the part twice. The timing has to be pretty tight for it to work well. If you just duplicate it and pan the two copies left and right, it will be in the center (because panned center is the same as equal amounts in left and right channels).

Yes, you have to record twice at least. No copy&paste!
For explanations, there are many YouTube tutorials out there. Just look for "double tracking guitar" or similar keywords.

I’m a bit rubbish on guitar so I rarely play it on music I record, but I thought I’d try the double tracking thing and see if I could play well enough to make it work, and I discovered that as long as I played the same notes one lagging behind the other a little bit on the screen didn’t actually matter and they gelled. I tried strat and Les paul playing the same tune and it worked pretty well, until I forgot what came next and the two parts would magically become two separate ones again. I can’t quite work out yet what unglues them in my brain. Maybe it’s similar to what happens with violins. One always sounds a bit rubbish, but three or more playing the same notes suddenly warms up and becomes rich and lovely. I always assumed it was slight pitch errors with no frets, but guitars have frets and the same thing happens?

theres obviously some bullshit happening if you need that many plugins to sound like a amplifier.

I feel your pain! I want to open a studio someday. It feels like I’m a million miles away from being comfortable asking people to pay for my services. I’d say it’s anything but intuitive. Keep at it!
Just gotta go ahead and do it. I made business cards and hand them out at open mics. It’s not a full time job but I do make some pocket money doing it. And it’s fun. While my space isn’t as nice as the best recording studio in my town, the signal chain is better, IMO.

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much with recording music at home. It can be really frustrating when you're first starting out, but don't give up! There are a lot of great resources out there that can help you learn how to record and use your DAW.

One thing that might help is finding a mentor or someone who can guide you through the process. There are a lot of great online communities where people are willing to share their knowledge and tips. Home Recording Forum is one such community, and I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful information here.

I wish you the best of luck in your recording journey!
--
Jason Hook. Audio Enthusiast and Software Developer
Remove or Isolate Vocals from any Song 👉 https://www.UnMixIt.com/

Just gotta go ahead and do it. I made business cards and hand them out at open mics. It’s not a full time job but I do make some pocket money doing it. And it’s fun. While my space isn’t as nice as the best recording studio in my town, the signal chain is better, IMO.
I will at some point. Nothing is quite as motivating as jumping in the fire! My signal chain is likely my problem, along with a lack of experience. Some really do make it look so easy! It’s definitely not! Lol Thanks for the encouragement!!

I cannot add anything to the excellent advice given by the seasoned recording peeps here but I can tell you I think you will never get very far with those speakers. They are 'media speakers' not by any means studio 'monitors'. Just a small step up from computer speakers.

Yes, I know REALLY good monitors cost $1000s but you can get something pretty good for $500 pr.

Dave.

splitting nails was done really well. What ever he is doing sounds right.

In the youtube ratt vids , he is nailing it. I dont know what effects you are engaging off and on but it is spot on. You could tell the one track was much hotter. By the end it was really good.

As said by others you double it. Record it same twice. Mono tracks. Panned. but yeah, those results are not bad.

I am waiting for SRV on preset. VH on a preset. AC/DC on a preset. SLASH on a preset. Jeff beck...satriani...buddy holly..See where i am going with this. Make it easy.

Last edited:
Can you imagine drum presets that are styled like your favorite bands?

Beatles drums, or like SlipKnot tight, or Jeff Lynne puffy drums, Neil Pert rushy, Tommy Lee, Travis Barker etc.

I don't think any Drum VST products offer this..

I will at some point. Nothing is quite as motivating as jumping in the fire! My signal chain is likely my problem, along with a lack of experience. Some really do make it look so easy! It’s definitely not! Lol Thanks for the encouragement!!
Well that’s the thing. You need a selling point. The studio in town’s selling point is that it has a great room (mine isn’t bad). Mine is that the signal chain is better. The studio in town’s signal chain actually uses a rather cheap preamp and mic. But he’s working full time! I know a AE in Cleveland that has neither an amazing studio room or a great signal chain (he actually uses Behringer mics and console preamps), BUT his portfolio is amazing, so he can afford to do that. I can’t, as my portfolio is not nearly as extensive.

Beatles drums, or like SlipKnot tight, or Jeff Lynne puffy drums, Neil Pert rushy, Tommy Lee, Travis Barker etc.

Which is funny, because there’s so many guitar VSTs that offer something like that. I actually got an email recently offering a discounted Brian May guitar sim.

And this is why I HATE HOME RECORDING. Sorry didn't mean to yell...As a player and performer I just want to play and get the musical idea out...The frickin tricks and minute details to get a premium well done recording take a lot of time. Me I just want to be able to press the red button and be done with it other than maybe run it through a couple filters to smooth the peaks and lows.. Time is currency and there is only so much time most of us are able to put into recording. Back in the day I had the opportunity to record at two very prestigious recording studios Wally Heider in LA and one called Posha which was creme de la creme..for free..at night...because the guitarist was friends with one of the assistant engineers. Now of course it was just this one guy doing everything and us trying to help as best we can...the take away was with all the prep it takes to get set up and the time it takes to go back and listen , edit, do retakes it takes a shit ton of TIME to get a single good recording. Nowadays certainly it is a little more streamlined as we don't use tape or physical effects but the bottom line is it takes a LOT OF TIME... as I typed this I remembered Lee Michaels LIVE album and how kick ass it was....recorded in 6 hours and 45 minutes WTF? Well that is the kind of recording I am shooting for get shit recorded well fast...I have the fast part thing down...Now I just gotta figure out the well part :laughings:

1646152668414.png

Imagine what that would take to even try. Tone is one thing. Actually finding a drummer that has the feel of any other, in given song type, and that is willing to spend his time emoting another. Hell, getting a drummer to just show up to rehearsal is a challenge sometimes.

The best part of having a drummer is that they exist. Find a good one and be happy. Or just get by with emulated grooves if that works until you find one. :)

Back