Sooooooo tired of fake drum threads.

Seriously though, I want to control stuff in real time. In rock/jazz, you need that synergy. That's what a rhythm section does.
So for me personally it's "you can improvise with it".

I just think this argument always gets cast as "the luddite vs the realist" and people miss the point that the performance matters.. at least with rock, which is pretty much dead anyways.

I do not think that rock is anywhere near dead. Rock and roll might be dead. Nobody's singing like the Beatles or Elvis or even AC/DC anymore for that matter, but rock still lives on. Groups like Skillet, Flyleaf, The Letter Black, Disciple, Sent By Ravens, TFK, Kutless, and many many more are still creating good music. (depending on your preference, that is. My guess is if you love the Beatles you will hate Disciple.) Many of these groups are categorized as "hard rock," "Post Grunge" or "progressive metal" I'm only sure of what the first label really means, though. But I disagree with the statement that rock is "pretty much dead."

As for what classifies as a "real instrument"? My personal definition is an instrument that does not require computer code to play. So, a computer could be classified as a "real" instrument if you were recording the sound of smashing it with a baseball bat, whereas, if you were using a synth program on the computer, I would consider that a "virtual instrument" Just my humble opinion. And don't get me wrong, in most cases I would prefer the synth over the baseball bat almost any day. That was just by way of definition. ;)

Fine, if you prefer: Papa Roach, 3 Doors Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Shinedown... Ummm... Fu Fighters, System Of A Down, Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine, Sick Puppies, Demon Hunter, Black Dolly Murder, Breaking Benjamin, Pantera.... Any I missed? ;)

Oh, woops, pardon me, Killswitch Engage is Christian. and 3 Doors Down has at least one member who professes Christianity.

Oh, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Alice In Chains, Korn, Slipknot.... Must I keep going? I said that there were "many many others" and only listed my favorites.

Haha! Whatever, man. If none of those make you happy, then you must not be a fan of any kinda hard rock at all.

Fine, if you prefer: Papa Roach, 3 Doors Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Shinedown... Ummm... Fu Fighters, System Of A Down, Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine, Sick Puppies, Demon Hunter, Black Dolly Murder, Breaking Benjamin, Pantera.... Any I missed? ;)

Nice list :D. Many more that could be added. For me Royal Blood (and to a lesser extent the new album of Muse) are proof that Rock might be going to make a comeback... (which is totally beside the point of this topic, but that's where forums are for, arent they?)

If your mom likes your music you're doing it wrong.
At least one indication I'm at the right track... Thanks Greg!

I also record on analog and digital and use microphones from the 1940s and 2000s. Everything is just a tool, and it ends there for me.
I want a microphone 🎤 from the 1940s ! Preferably one from Germany, that captured lunatics like that guy Adolf💩, that shouted and ranted and paid "no never mind" to mere details like proximity effect !🐚

I want a microphone 🎤 from the 1940s ! Preferably one from Germany, that captured lunatics like that guy Adolf💩, that shouted and ranted and paid "no never mind" to mere details like proximity effect !🐚
May be better off with a simulator so your soul doesn't get dirtied by proxy... lol

Howdy Grim! :-)

May be better off with a simulator so your soul doesn't get dirtied by proxy... lol

Howdy Grim! :-)
Hiya Jimmy ! How have you been ?
I'm actually kind of curious about some of those old mics. For me, a mic is a mic and I can't afford to blow big bucks on one ~ and I'm quite happy with what I have.
But......
A couple of years ago, I bought this Russian Oktava so ridiculously cheap, that even if it had been total shit, it wouldn't have been a loss. It turns out, I love it. It's good for harmonica, double bass, acoustic and electric guitar, even bass and double bass. You can even get a vocal out of it, for a bit of different flavour. So I'll try anything ancient or modern.
It would appear that few people would actually use those old mics of yesteryear, but like having them around.
I'd use it, and regularly !!

What about those who play hybrid kits? A third forum for them?
Personally I cant stick all the pop songs with programmed drums. They're just boring.

For me, it's not the programming aspect as much as the sonics. Those fake "half hand clap/half snare" sounds are just irritating to me. Just about every hiphop beat that comes out has it. Yuck!

For some of us, using midi drums are necessary, but you can use them effectively. Just make them sound like real drums. Otherwise it's like playing a $100 kid's keyboard and saying it's a pipe organ!

Last edited:
For me it's simple:
I play mostly acoustic music, so I need acoustic drums for my songs.
I am not a drummer, nor do I pretend to be one.
I hire a professional on Fiverr and they e-mail me the tracks.
Good playing, good sound, good mix.

Back