Hybrid Events

virtuosica

Does anyone have experience producing hybrid events? I haven't but may in the future and am interested in hearing what the challenges are as well as any tips you might have to offer. Thanks!

The live mix and the broadcast mix almost certainly need to be different, and they really should be done in different spaces. The optimal space for mixing for broadcast would be a control room with good monitors, isolated from the live sound.

What usually happens is the person mixing the live sound also mixes the broadcast feed on headphones, which is far from optimal.

The live mix and the broadcast mix almost certainly need to be different, and they really should be done in different spaces. The optimal space for mixing for broadcast would be a control room with good monitors, isolated from the live sound.

What usually happens is the person mixing the live sound also mixes the broadcast feed on headphones, which is far from optimal.
Is it possible to mix the broadcast feed remotely if the facility does not have the provisions you cite?

You really do need two mixers and at the least - mix on decent sealing (moulds) in-ears if you want to get things balanced. Trying to do a mix on any form of sends just gets in the way and the FOH people want to do their job, while you doing a broadcast feed want different. However - with cat5 connections, you can put the broadcast mixer and a video camera feed somewhere else and maybe even use speakers? It's the same problem you get when video people turn up and want a mix, when you know the bass guitar on stage is mega loud enough without the PA, so you don't even have the fader up - or guitar or other loud source. It's usually a compromise too far.

One workaround is to have a mic in the room to pick up the stage sound and blend that with the direct PA feed. You may need to delay the direct signal to line it up with the mic. Once set up it should "just work" as long as the live sound is decent. It might take a bit of trial and error to dial it in. The mic will also get some audience, which can be nice.

There are two variations on this: the "stage noise only" method up close to avoid getting the mains, and the "no place to put the mic up front so I'll just deal with picking up the mains" method. I prefer the former as you have more separation.

It really depends on the type of Event you are talking about. Having a live band playing has a different set of challenges than a group of talking heads and a PowerPoint presentation. Do the people in the in the main meeting need to interact with the people who are viewing remotely, so you need two way communication?

What sort of thing do you see yourself doing?

That seems usable. If the person doing the broadcast mix can access a digital mixer being used for the live mix, it may be possible to give them a near zero latency feed from the board. A video monitor of stage would be good.

It really depends on the type of Event you are talking about. Having a live band playing has a different set of challenges than a group of talking heads and a PowerPoint presentation. Do the people in the in the main meeting need to interact with the people who are viewing remotely, so you need two way communication?

What sort of thing do you see yourself doing?
Predominantly musical events.

Then they have pretty much covered it. I make a living doing business meetings, a lot of which are hybrid now. Not so much with the music.

In my day job I do tech support for hybrid learning and also audio or video for live events (music, dance, lectures etc.) which are generally also live streamed.

Back