Is It Too Soon?

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Hi y'all

The latest from the Armistice hit factory... :laughings:

Any and all feedback/commentary welcomed. Just wipe your shoes before you come inside, OK?;)

Good recordings. First thing that came to mind was the meter of the vocal. I think it should match the timing of the guitar riff in the verse - is it/too late, following the guitar with "is" on 2 and "too" on 4. It'd be much catchier. But, of course, you'd have to rework the lyrics immediately after that. Also, I think the chorus, "years rolling by", would benefit from long, open chords ringing out over top the lead guitars. It'd pick up the energy coming from that staccato-like verse and be a nice transition.

Just my $0.02. Everything sounds real nice, mix wise. Vocals especially.

What jumps out for me is that the guitars are stepping on the vocal. Your main guitar is in the same register as the vocal, and loud. It's competing. You might adjust levels and panning of the guitars to carve out more of a space for the vocal to reign supreme. Good playing. Is that the Tele?

More good stuff Armi!

From my perspective I don't hear the guitars stepping on the vocals too much. They may be a bit bright at times cutting through the vocals but that is more personal taste.

Well done!

Good recordings. First thing that came to mind was the meter of the vocal. I think it should match the timing of the guitar riff in the verse - is it/too late, following the guitar with "is" on 2 and "too" on 4. It'd be much catchier. But, of course, you'd have to rework the lyrics immediately after that. Also, I think the chorus, "years rolling by", would benefit from long, open chords ringing out over top the lead guitars. It'd pick up the energy coming from that staccato-like verse and be a nice transition.

Just my $0.02. Everything sounds real nice, mix wise. Vocals especially.

As soon as I worked out the music the phrase "Is it too soon..." came into my head as a starter for the lyrics, sung to exactly that meter. It was never going to be sung any other way and I actually think it'd sound a bit dicky to match the playing exactly - I mean you could carry that rhythm into the rest of the verse as well and it'd sound like a jerky nursery rhyme IMO - I deliberately wanted to break away from the rhythm.

Also, that's a really cool run up after "rolling by..." that comes from playing the guitar the particular way I do - I'm not going to be burying it with crashing chords - would sort of defeat the purpose of the entire piece of music - none of it is something most people would think of / do.

Appreciate the suggestions as always andrush, but I'm happy with the way it is.;)

What jumps out for me is that the guitars are stepping on the vocal. Your main guitar is in the same register as the vocal, and loud. It's competing. You might adjust levels and panning of the guitars to carve out more of a space for the vocal to reign supreme. Good playing. Is that the Tele?

Thanks Robus - I'll check the panning - I've started going away from hard left and right but it's not far off it - I'm not anywhere near my studio for the next 24 hours so don't recall exactly what I did - if it's not, I'll push them wider and see what happens, but I don't think there's any stepping on going on - not that I ever understand what people mean by that anyway. My voice and the guitar playing happen to occupy the same area - there's nowt I can do about that but aim for clarity and I think it's clear enough, but will check. Thanks for the ears.:D

More good stuff Armi!

From my perspective I don't hear the guitars stepping on the vocals too much. They may be a bit bright at times cutting through the vocals but that is more personal taste.

Well done!

Thanks Jimmy - I'm pretty close with this one, I think, although some words of the vocal are annoying me, but I may have to live with that, unless I want to do it all again in a different "voice"...:eek:

Cool tune. Nice open clear mix. Drums have good tone along with depth and power. Guitars sound good. Vocals and bvs are excellent. Everything is nicely balanced.You'd have to be happy with this

Cool tune. Nice open clear mix. Drums have good tone along with depth and power. Guitars sound good. Vocals and bvs are excellent. Everything is nicely balanced.You'd have to be happy with this

Thanks Bulls. Yeah, I'm getting much closer to a final mix much more quickly these days... ;)

I love the groove you got going on this. Great strat sound on this (may not be a strat but sounds like it). The mix sounds good to me man.
Great work!

Just for shit's and giggles, I ran the MP3 through my basic home mastering shizz.

Obviously not in anyway ideal to start with an MP3 but... It does sound really good to me. The guitars could use some control (compression) and the vocals a bit of air, but overall it really cool man!

Sorry I messed with your shizz. Best intentions meant bro! :)

Attachments

• Is It Too Soon Rough Master1.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I love the groove you got going on this. Great strat sound on this (may not be a strat but sounds like it). The mix sounds good to me man.
Great work!

Thanks jimi - Tele one side and Les Paul on the other, actually.;)

good song.. like that bass sound a lot

Thanks for the listen sparky

Just for shit's and giggles, I ran the MP3 through my basic home mastering shizz.

Obviously not in anyway ideal to start with an MP3 but... It does sound really good to me. The guitars could use some control (compression) and the vocals a bit of air, but overall it really cool man!

Sorry I messed with your shizz. Best intentions meant bro! :)

No worries jimmy - I'm honoured you thought it worth doing - I'll have a proper listen tonight on my proper system - only my craptop speakers where I've been since the weekend.:D

Back