Alternative Mic to CAD e100s?

fadingvoice

Hi, all, I do voiceovers (mainly commercial and audiobooks). After some research, I purchased a CAD e100s yesterday. But it sounds awful - tons of noise. And this mic is supposed to have a very low self-noise profile. I now see that there are several reports of quality control issues with CAD, and I have even heard audio files from other mic owners with this same issue (it sounds like there is wind or an AC on in the background even though I'm in a treated room away from any electronics).

So I definitely have to return the mic. My question is -- should I take a chance and get another e100s since it sounds like a good one is golden for voiceovers? Or should I look for a different mic given the recent quality control headaches with CAD? And, if so, which other mics are similar in features/specs that should I consider? I'm looking for $400 or under ideally.

I have had no issues with the CAD Equitek E100S. I consider it to be a great choice for voiceover, and figure you may have gotten a damaged one.

A good alternative for voiceover is the Neat Microphones King Bee (If you can get past the quirky looks of it). The Aston Origin is also a nice VO mic, but also quirky-looking.

Another recommendation was going to be the large Sterling ST6050 FET microphone, which was on sale at MF for $400. Unfortunately, it's back up to $999 again. :-(

I have had no issues with the CAD Equitek E100S. I consider it to be a great choice for voiceover, and figure you may have gotten a damaged one.

A good alternative for voiceover is the Neat Microphones King Bee (If you can get past the quirky looks of it). The Aston Origin is also a nice VO mic, but also quirky-looking.

Another recommendation was going to be the large Sterling ST6050 FET microphone, which was on sale at MF for $400. Unfortunately, it's back up to $999 again. :-(

I have to agree. I've used an E100 for recording podcasts and it worked just fine. I also have a pair of Aston Origins and although I haven't used them for voice overs, they do everything else so well that I can't imagine they wouldn't be good for that application. Also have an AT2020 that works very well on recording spoken voice, it's actually my first choice when recording podcasts, which I do a lot. It has a nice warm sound similar to a broadcast mic like an SM7.

Fading,
Like you, I have read many threads about the QC issues when e100s became to mic-to-buy for VO, and they were rushing to fill orders. In my research, it seemed the pre-popular ones were less prone to, but eventually did, have noise problems. Warranty fixes were bad caps, to complete PCB replacement. I own one too.....(knock on wood) that is still quiet.

Meanwhile, where did you have the HPF switch set? Did you experiment, by recording with it on, and then bypassed? Also, what is in your audio chain?
Dale

Thanks for your replies, all. Appreciate it.

DaleVO - I experimented with the HPF engaged and not engaged as well as with the 10 db pad engaged and not engaged. They made no difference. They created some sounds (pink noise?) whenever I flipped any of the switches. And one weird thing: If I held my thumb over the switch for the 10 db pad, then the mic would make a buzzing sound. But it wouldn't buzz if I touched the mic anywhere else.

My chain: the e100s is attached via livewire advantage xlr cable to an Audient id14 preamp/interface, which is connected to a computer with Audacity. As a computer, I have tried a MacBook Pro and a Dell desktop, both with identical results.

Hi there,
I don't know if you should persist with this model or try another, but maybe you can prove the fault to the mic?
Do you have another microphone to test with, or another XLR equipped piece of equipment with phantom power and a preamp, like another interface or a mixer?

Is all the gear new and, if not, has any of it worked perfectly in any arrangement or setup?

If it's genuinely faulty and you can prove it to the mic, I'd be asking the seller for refund or replacement. Perhaps that's what you meant.

Hi there,
I don't know if you should persist with this model or try another, but maybe you can prove the fault to the mic?
Do you have another microphone to test with, or another XLR equipped piece of equipment with phantom power and a preamp, like another interface or a mixer?

Is all the gear new and, if not, has any of it worked perfectly in any arrangement or setup?

If it's genuinely faulty and you can prove it to the mic, I'd be asking the seller for refund or replacement. Perhaps that's what you meant.

Hey, so it's definitely the mic and I can definitely return it. I own another mic, and it works fine with all of my other equipment (that mic is just lower quality, so I'm looking to upgrade a bit). I'm just not sure if it's worth getting another e100s since CAD seems to be having QC issues, or if I should get a different mic. Thanks!

Any chance there may be moisture on the capsule? Humid room? That may cause a rushing sort of wind noise or crackling. Placing the mic in a plastic ziplock bag with some desiccant packs overnight might help if you think moisture may be a problem. Dry rice in a stocking can be used for desiccant also.

Any chance there may be moisture on the capsule? Humid room? That may cause a rushing sort of wind noise or crackling. Placing the mic in a plastic ziplock bag with some desiccant packs overnight might help if you think moisture may be a problem. Dry rice in a stocking can be used for desiccant also.

What are the symptoms of moisture on a capsule?

My room is very dry since the heating was turned on in my building, but maybe it was stored in a humid place before I received it.

'a rushing sort of wind noise or crackling'

If the mic has been in a heated dry room for a while the capsule should be drying out, so perhaps it has another problem..

If you are definitey going to try another mic for VO and $400 is the limit, the Neat King Bee looks crazy but flatters my voice more than other mics in that price range. I don't recommend the Blue Baby Bottle.

Hi, so I returned the first mic and got a second e100s.

I do think I hear some noise and that the noise floor seems a bit high, but maybe I'm driving myself crazy at this point?

Here is a short clip: https://instaud.io/BIc#0:00.0

Is THIS mic okay? Or too noisy? Losing my mind.

Yup.
Any noise in there sounds like it's in the room...A computer fan or A/C or something.
Still, it's barely noticeable.

The mic itself sounds fine.

Yup.
Any noise in there sounds like it's in the room...A computer fan or A/C or something.
Still, it's barely noticeable.

The mic itself sounds fine.

The computer is in a different room. There aren't any electronics on in there other than the mic and the preamp. So that worries me. I don't know what it could be picking up. But if the noise is barely noticeable, then that's good to know. Thanks!

My "studio" is an untreated room, so I have to deal with a lot of noise. My wife has two refrigerators in the adjoining room (no door, and one refrigerator is in the doorway). As a result, I have to use a noise gate or noise reduction plugin on virtually everything. I wouldn't use a gate or a noise reduction plugin on the track I downloaded.

Which software are you using for recording and post-processing your audio files?

Which software are you using for recording and post-processing your audio files?

Hi, Jeffery, it's hard to find space isn't it?! Could you clarify - would you not use a gate or noise reduction plugin on that track because you think it's beyond help or because you don't think it's needed?

I just use Audacity for recording and post-processing. Thanks!

I snipped out a couple quiet parts, spliced them together, and normalized to bring up the levels. It does sound like something with a motor in the background, possibly an A/C unit as suggested. Maybe a faint dog bark as well (?) :)
My own mics will pick up a quartz clock ticking about 6 feet away that I can't normally hear.

Attachments

• BIc.mp3
    30.2 KB · Views: 22
I wouldn't use any treatment on your track. At home, I use EQ with a high pass filter to remove most lower frequencies. In my office at work, I have an extremely loud AC vent above my desk that makes recording very difficult. There, I have to use a dynamic mic (Heil PR40), and then remove most of the background noise with SoundSoap 5+. Audacity has a noise reduction feature that could completely eliminate whatever little noise is in your background, but I'm not sure if it would be necessary. Using EQ in Audacity to remove the low (lower than a human voice can create) frequencies without affecting the sound of your voice.

Back