An idea for a video on my mic box

rob aylestone

I'm wondering if there would be any use in doing a comparison video on the contents of my mic box collection? The thing would be that it would need to be repeatable, in the sense that I'd have to record it over a period as there are so many - so easiest would be the ones using my speaking voice - x marks the spot, and a chair that doesn't move. In the past videos, this enable people to comment on things like they can hear differences in the room sound, behind the voice, the tone, the bottom and top end as it impact the constant - my voice. I'm aware that trying to use say, my acoustic guitar also works, but mic placement changes the sound, even when just a tiny bit of left/right or distance changes. I'm stumped on repeatability with an instrument, but voice is a constant amjd controllable source. All I'm thinking is maybe one video for dynamics, one for condensers, or maybe small and large diaphragm condensers. I've used an Sm7B in all the videos so far as a sort of constant comparison - not that it's the best, but just a common denominator to help. Should I do a long video, with lots of mics and just maybe 30 sconds of "This is a Beyer M160 - a hyper-cardioid, bla bla" then "This is a ........." I couold then list them all with the time in the video where each one is?" people could then ignore the ones they are not bothered about? If I do this, should I always do SM7B - M160, then SM7B - SM58, etc, or just start with the SM7B and then go through each one.

My collection has all sorts of mics - so what about things like drum mics? Do I also speak into these, so people can hear the tone of them? As in, This is an AKG D112 kick drum mic - is there any value in hearing how they sound? The Shure Green Bullet harmonica mic was actually designed for speech, not music, so is it useful to hear what a voice is like into the wrong sort of mic?

How about the multi pattern mics? A bit on each pattern? Or shotguns - is it useful to mix those in with 'normal' mics, or do an entire video just on these? My feeling is that they should be mixed in, because many, like the 416 get sort of locked into specific use and avoided from others?

I'd appreciate any suggestions, even if it's don't do it - as you can see this box is just ones that get used, and I've plenty of others that never see light of day.

Attachments

• mics.jpg
    mics.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
Back