The New Tone Thread

Good deal, Miner! I mean it sucks that you're having lung troubles, but I'm glad to hear that it's not cancer. I hope you get to feeling better and get back to working out those guitars and amps! Take care of yourself man.

I've had breathing troubles in my life before, and it's a terrifying feeling. Personally, I like oxygen. I try to ingest as much as I can each day. I tried to quit, but it made me light-headed :D

Thanks man, it's been a hell of a year or two, but I'm still kickin'.....

Just finished watching your latest vid about the new Behringer ADA8200, & I'm impressed man. Everything sounds really good, & I'm particularly impressed with your drums...Good job!!!

Hey guys,
Just gonna give everyone a heads-up on where I've been the last while...During a routine check-up, my doctor found some spots on my lungs & wanted to do a biopsy to find out what's up ...Had the biopsy last week, but hadn't heard anything about the results until today...I've been scared to death, & very depressed about all this, so that's why I haven't been active here very much...

My doctor actually stopped by my house to give me the results this afternoon (he lives a couple miles up the road from here)...I have an appointment with him this Tuesday, but being the great guy that he is, he didn't wanna make me wait to hear the results (this guy has taken care of me my whole life, & is the doctor that did all he could for my Dad too...great guy to say the least)...

Turns out the spots on my lungs aren't the big "C", but are from my years working underground (black lung/silicosis)...I'm actually relieved as hell, because I was expecting really bad news, because of my family's history on both sides...

I apologize if anyone here has felt offended, insulted or anything because of my absence, this has been a very stressful time for me to say the least....To be honest, I haven't even picked up a guitar since I was told about my lungs, but I plan on getting back in the swing here with my buddies...
Man, that's great news minerman! It's very considerate of your doc to go ahead and tell you. Waiting and worrying can be some extremely stressful shit.

Man I almost pulled the trigger on a Deluxe Reverb reissue today. 740 bucks. Not a great deal, but not bad. I need to take my Hallmark Mosrite clone up there and plug into it with that thing instead of the Jazzmaster I used. 22 watts though. Kind of weak for me. I think a twin would be better. Love the reverb, love the tremolo, need the power.

Congrats to minerman on the good news. :thumbs up:

@Greg. You fucking kidding? A Twin? Thats some ear piercing shit. Those things are loud. I love fender amps, but Marshall loud is preferable to Fender Twin loud...for me anyway. I had one once long ago. Before I'd get even a decent amount of breakup, i thought my eardrums would blow up.
:D

@Greg. You fucking kidding? A Twin? Thats some ear piercing shit. Those things are loud. I love fender amps, but Marshall loud is preferable to Fender Twin loud...for me anyway. I had one once long ago. Before I'd get even a decent amount of breakup, i thought my eardrums would blow up.
Lol. Yeah I know, but I'm a loud fucker. I also have an attenuator. I could easily crank a twin and dial it back if necessary with the attenuator. I worry that the 22w Deluxe won't cut my live situations. I play in a loud band. I had it wound up today in the store and it didn't leave me with the impression that it'd be loud enough. It sounds awesome, but I just don't know. I have to be able to use it live.

I prefer a super reverb over a twin. With the 4 10s I can get good breakup and it's still loud. Reverb's nice too.

You gotta remember I'm a strat guy (your most hated instrument) A twin with a strat?? Too much ice pick for me. :D

Lol, no it was backlined. I got there early, set my stuff up, and the other bands just set up in front.

So the gig last night...it was pretty epic. I didn't have both 8x10s. I ended up with only one of them because the other guys couldn't fit both. So it was JCM800 full stack and the JMP 2204 on top of an 8x10. It looked great and sounded killer and gave the idiot soundman fits of rage, so all good. :)

There were a lot of photographers so hopefully I'll get some cool pics in the next few days.

Most importantly, we sold ALL of our merch, including CDs, and raised well over a few thousand dollars for this local childrens charity. Every penny that gig generated went to the charity. I walked away with zero dollars of it and I've never been happier.

awesome mang!!!! a great night AND helping kids ...... what could be better?

:)

Turns out the spots on my lungs aren't the big "C", but are from my years working underground (black lung/silicosis)...I'm actually relieved as hell, because I was expecting really bad news, because of my family's history on both sides...

I've actually wondered about that ....silicosis is a coal miners ailment and I knew you'd been in the mines a lotta years.

mo' better than cancer for sure.
I'm assuming that since you're a bit happier they consider it managable?

I had one .... it basically didn't get dirty even wide open .....
Had a friend with a blackface Super and it was glorious.

I have an Ampeg VT-40 and it's magical ..... I just can't lift it.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody, I've been really, really down about all this, so the good news I got earlier was pretty overwhelming to say the least....Of course, I've been expecting the worse so it was a big, big relief when I got the news....Can't say enough good things about my doctor either, he actually took time out of his only day off from work to stop by & personally tell me what's what...Same guy that basically went to bat for me on the disability $$$, same guy who got me off oxycontin about 8-9 years ago, & the same guy who did everything in his power to help my Dad when he was sick...Calling him a good man is a huge understatement to say the least...

Jimi: Thanks man, I gotta say my doc really cares about his people...If the world had a few more like him, it'd be a much better place...

RFR: Thanks for the kind words dude!!!

Bob: Well, it sounds bad that I do have black lung/silicosis, but compared to what I thought it was, I'm actually relieved. Of course, there's no cure for it, & it will eventually cause major problems, but, IMHO it's a hell of a lot better than the big "C"...The job I had the last 15 years (miner operator....minerman....:)) put me right in the middle of all the dust, all day, everyday. But, I wanted that job, & knew the risks, so...Again, most likely it'll cause problems later on, but it's not gonna take me out in the next few years....Thanks man!!!

Greg: I know you've been talking about getting a Fender amp off/on for quite a while now, & would be interested in what you get...Could influence me on my next amp possibly...I've got the gain-y side pretty much covered with the EVH rig, but it takes some twisting & tweaking to get a clean sound out of it...

Minerman - COOL STUFF mate.
JDOD - cello isn't really tricky - it's about practice. Almost everything but holding the bow is relatively simple. Hearing the notes can be hard if you're as cloth eared as I am BUT I make sure I tune properly and I've used dot markers for positions for the last 15 years and won't be leaving that crutch soon. I love my cello (well, once it was properly set up that is) but I don't drag it out much as micing it can be a problem.

Ah, I don't think I'll be learning to play the cello properly any time soon. Unless I can tune it to 4ths, E A D G.

On an other thread about tone, Ziggy came up. I dug up this old live tape of my band doing a cover of it. it's not the greatest recording, but you can get an idea.

Hey, if you don't like the mix, blame the house sound guy. If you don't like the guitar playing, blame me. :D

Attachments

• ziggy.mp3
    3 MB · Views: 12
JDOD,
It can be tuned as a bass (that was my hope before buying one) but it's a bit low. It can also be tuned to the top 4 strings of a guitar. No rules...

I prefer a super reverb over a twin. With the 4 10s I can get good breakup and it's still loud. Reverb's nice too.

You gotta remember I'm a strat guy (your most hated instrument) A twin with a strat?? Too much ice pick for me. :D

A Super would be great, but I don't really want a 4x10 combo. It's overkill for the tiny bit of use I'd get out of it. If they had a head version, then that'd be cool. I don't know if they do. I'm not looking to replace any of my Marshalls with a Fender combo. The very idea of that is laughable. But I do like that plonky surf-a-billy sound sometimes, and pretty much nothing does that better than a Fender amp. The only problem I have with the Deluxe is it's loudness potential. I just don't know if it'll work for me.

A Supro or an AC30 would be cool too, but they aint cheap like Fender reissues.

On an other thread about tone, Ziggy came up. I dug up this old live tape of my band doing a cover of it. it's not the greatest recording, but you can get an idea.

Hey, if you don't like the mix, blame the house sound guy. If you don't like the guitar playing, blame me. :D

Sounds pretty good dude, what did you record this with??? Like Lou asked, what gear did you use on this???

Sounds pretty good dude, what did you record this with??? Like Lou asked, what gear did you use on this???

Thanks Miner and Lou. :)

Sound guy recorded the show straight off the board. I know a 57 was on the guitar cab, don't know about the rest.

I was using a Strat with a Duncan Hot Rails through a Mesa dual rectifier. No pedals. Guitar is wired up so in position 4 (middle and bridge) its out of phase. Not quite that Ronson Les Paul/Marshall cocked wah tone, but close.

I was overall pleased. That club wouldn't let you use your own gear. (Unless you were stars) They had bass and guitar amps and a drum kit all set up.
I had always hated Boogies after owning a combo , a markII. But the rectifier suprised me. With no sound check it was pretty easy to dial in a usable sound. All controls at 12 O'clock.
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Last edited:
That's pretty good RFR. Especially for a Dual Rec. I like how you included a lot of the little nuances of what Ronson did instead of just playing it basic. Good stuff.

Sounds really good to me RFR. I used to play that song in a cover band as well, and like Greg said it's good to hear another person that adds the Ronson touches to it instead of just playing the chords. I thought that amp sounded pretty badass too.

Back