The New Tone Thread

Ok guys, I'm back, went up to Mom's to mow her yard & do some piddly shit for her....

What do you think of the 2203x/re-issue Greg??? Are these built just like the pre-'85 amps, or like the later editions??? Either way I go, I'm gonna be dropping quite a chunk of coin on one, so I'm trying to look at all the options I can....I'd even consider a clone as long as it would deliver the goods, a Ceriatone new is about what a real one goes for used....

Ok guys, I'm back, went up to Mom's to mow her yard & do some piddly shit for her....

What do you think of the 2203x/re-issue Greg??? Are these built just like the pre-'85 amps, or like the later editions??? Either way I go, I'm gonna be dropping quite a chunk of coin on one, so I'm trying to look at all the options I can....I'd even consider a clone as long as it would deliver the goods, a Ceriatone new is about what a real one goes for used....

I think the 2203 reissues are 100% as good as the originals. Even better than the Plexi reissues, which I personally also think are great. The Plexi reissues are only "Plexi" in appearance though. They're more like a 70s JMP Super Lead than actual Plexi. They're hotter and brighter than a real Plexi, which is exactly how the metal-face era JMP Super Leads were.

Anyway, they nailed the 800 reissues. Nailed it. Original JMP 2203s and 800s were tonally all over the map anyway, but they did a masterful job reissuing that amp. They are built 100% exactly like a pre-85 2203 circuit. They're perfect. Every cap, wire, and resistor is exactly how it should be. As far as I can remember, they even got the wire colors right. I've had my hands on many many 800s in my life. It is my favorite amp if you didn't already know. Lol. I think the reissues are fantastic.

I think the 2203 reissues are 100% as good as the originals. Even better than the Plexi reissues, which I personally also think are great. The Plexi reissues are only "Plexi" in appearance though. They're more like a 70s JMP Super Lead than actual Plexi. They're hotter and brighter than a real Plexi, which is exactly how the metal-face era JMP Super Leads were.

Anyway, they nailed the 800 reissues. Nailed it. Original JMP 2203s and 800s were tonally all over the map anyway, but they did a masterful job reissuing that amp. They are built 100% exactly like a pre-85 2203 circuit. They're perfect. Every cap, wire, and resistor is exactly how it should be. As far as I can remember, they even got the wire colors right. I've had my hands on many many 800s in my life. It is my favorite amp if you didn't already know. Lol. I think the reissues are fantastic.

Ok dude, that may be an option too, a new one is as much as a new JVM, so I don't think I'll be buying new, unless I come into some serious $$$, which ain't gonna happen....But, I may be able to find a used reissue for a decent price....

First things first though, I'm definitely gonna get my Chupa back, I'll have the coin in about 28 days, so be sure to pass the word for me dude....

And I'll probably spring for an attenuator before the 800, so this is probably gonna take me some time to get done...But, I will have a JCM800 before I kick the bucket dude, it will happen....:D.

I'll tell him.

I use my 800 with an attenuator all the time. Even on 5 it's kind of too loud for some gigs. I like to keep mine around 6-7 on the master and just knock it back down with the Weber Mass. At 6 or 7 un-attenuated it's way way way too loud for typical bar/club gigs. That's one amp that can easily drown out even the most aggressive drummer.

I've never seen a Ceriatone 800 in person, but I've seen youtube vids of them. They seem good too. That design is so neanderthal simple, if you follow the schematic, anyone can build one. Any kit that follows the original design and component values would probably be just fine.

I'll tell him.

Thanks dude, you really have no idea how bad it hurt me to sell that amp, seriously. I appreciate both you & Shawn too, because it kept my head above water for a little longer, until I went into the hospital the 2nd time. After that happened, everything was downhill like a runaway train....But things are a hell of a lot better now, so thanks again to both of you dude, & please be sure to tell him I said this....

I use my 800 with an attenuator all the time. Even on 5 it's kind of too loud for some gigs. I like to keep mine around 6-7 on the master and just knock it back down with the Weber Mass. At 6 or 7 un-attenuated it's way way way too loud for typical bar/club gigs. That's one amp that can easily drown out even the most aggressive drummer.

I've never seen a Ceriatone 800 in person, but I've seen youtube vids of them. They seem good too. That design is so neanderthal simple, if you follow the schematic, anyone can build one. Any kit that follows the original design and component values would probably be just fine.

I've been looking online now for a couple/few weeks, & about any of 'em that seem like they'd be worth a fuck are pretty pricey amps, but there's a reason for that. I'm sure a Ceriatone would be good too, I'll just have to wait & see what's up when the time comes...

And the attenuator I already know is a must for that amp, that's why I'm gonna buy a Mass 200 before I even get the amp....

Oh yeah, you gonna grab that white cab with the '65's in it???

I don't know. Maybe. I'm gonna watch it. It just showed up on CL. I don't think it's gonna last long, but if it does, I'll try to steal it from him. I want it, but don't need it, so I'm not GASsing too hard for it.

I'd rather get another head. Lol. I'm really wanting a late 70s JMP 2203. Like this....
imgext.php

These were the forefathers to the JCM 800. Same exact circuit and layout, but these 70s master volume JMPs had milder power transformers, giving them a more "brown" sound. They're a little thicker, less gain, more vintage kind of sound. And I already have a 2204 from that time period, so it'd be a cool pair to have.

I don't know. Maybe. I'm gonna watch it. It just showed up on CL. I don't think it's gonna last long, but if it does, I'll try to steal it from him. I want it, but don't need it, so I'm not GASsing too hard for it.

IMO, if you can get that cab for $400, it is a steal. The speakers alone are worth that, & should kick-ass...I like my '65 a lot, it's almost like a Greenback, just a little different character to it....I'm also liking the G12H a lot more lately too, & have almost lost interest in the V30. When I first started this "quest", I thought the V30 would be "it", but I just can't bond with 'em like my other speakers....

I'd rather get another head. Lol. I'm really wanting a late 70s JMP 2203. Like this....
imgext.php

These were the forefathers to the JCM 800. Same exact circuit and layout, but these 70s master volume JMPs had milder power transformers, giving them a more "brown" sound. They're a little thicker, less gain, more vintage kind of sound. And I already have a 2204 from that time period, so it'd be a cool pair to have.

When I see an amp like that, I instantly think of Angus Young. I'm not even sure that's what he used back in the 70's, but for some reason I just instantly think of him....

It's just hard for me to believe this thread is still goin' after all this time. There's really been no trouble/bitchin' the whole ride. I mean sure, folks get upset here/there, but there hasn't been a complete meltdown like I've saw other threads have....

Best thread on the 'net, period IMO...

He might have used them sometimes. It's very hard to tell what he used with so much myth and legend and folklore surrounding that band and their gear. Pics do no good because his backline is often a mix of MV and NMV heads. So who knows!

I'm pretty sure Malcolm used Super Bass heads. His tone is pretty clean-ish with just a little breakup when he digs in.

---------- Update ----------

Corner 1000!

He might have used them sometimes. It's very hard to tell what he used with so much myth and legend and folklore surrounding that band and their gear. Pics do no good because his backline is often a mix of MV and NMV heads. So who knows!

I'm pretty sure Malcolm used Super Bass heads. His tone is pretty clean-ish with just a little breakup when he digs in.

Yeah, but a fuckin' SG with an old Marshall amp just reminds me of that band....Saw 'em live in 1979 dude, Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City, TN when I was 8 years old. My older sister took me, & from that point, I was ruined...:D. That was my very first concert, fuckin' Bon Scott...I listened to their music on her 8-tracks constantly, but I was totally un-prepared for the experience to say the least, especially at 8 years old....

Corner 1000!

Congrats dude, I was trying to be that fucker, but I popped one post too many...:).

Yeah, but a fuckin' SG with an old Marshall amp just reminds me of that band....Saw 'em live in 1979 dude, Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City, TN when I was 8 years old. My older sister took me, & from that point, I was ruined...:D. That was my very first concert, fuckin' Bon Scott...I listened to their music on her 8-tracks constantly, but I was totally un-prepared for the experience to say the least, especially at 8 years old....
Haha that's awesome.

I don't think an SG and an old Marshall can not sound AC/DC-ish in some way. They just have to sound like that. That's a good thing.

All right, time to catch up on what I've missed over the past week in tone land.

Bubba Po
That's great that you and your boy got some airplay! Interesting instrumental/spoken word thing going on there. The audio quality of the broadcast is just wrecked, but I can hear some good things going on. Reminds me a bit of something off of Bowie's Outside, with a little Besnard Lakes mixed in. What guitar/amp are you using? Sound like a neck pickup and some smooth overdrive.

JDOD
Nice song man. I didn't catch from earlier in the thread, is that an original? There are some pretty severe plosives on the vocals, but the girls did a great job. The acoustic guitar sounds too piezo-electric for my tastes, but I like the dark clean electric over the top of things. Nice bass sound, its round but solid in the low end.

Oh and about EZDrummer, once you register it you can install it on 2 machines but that's all. Toontrack's website keeps track of your installs, so you can invalidate an install on a machine that is lost, stolen, crashed, etc.

minerman
Watching video #3...nice intro titles :) The 100w demo sound terrific to me, sounds like a gnarly, cutting Marshall. With those particular settings, it really does show what the 50W switch does to the headroom of the amp. Sounds more squishy, less dynamic, less cutting. Still sounds pretty awesome to me but I tend to agree with Greg and you that it sounds better on the 100W setting.

Before I came down with the cold of the century, I had just started fiddling with Sony's Movie Studio Platinum 13. It used to be Sony Vegas, but they split the product line up so that now only the top couple of tiers are now called "Vegas". But those are like $300 and $500, out of my price range as a total video n00b wanting to make simple vids showing off gear. Just like you, I hammered Reaper into submission just enough to get a couple of videos made. But when it comes down to it, Movie Studio is much easier to manage and doesn't require as much dicking around just to get a simple video made. And it shares a lot of common basics with Reaper with the UI. Cool program, I'm anxious to figure out how to do more with it. As soon as I kick this cough, I'll whip up another video as an excuse to make some noise.

Greg
I think that your Marshall collection is lacking in one very obvious area: the MG series. You need 30 blazing practice watts of teenage shredder angst, through a "custom" speaker of undetermined origin. Those things will be collectors' items one day! Well, garbage collectors' items, anyways :D

Haha that's awesome.

Yeah man, she told Mom & Dad I was just spending the night with her (which I did), & off we went....My sister corrupted me at a very young age dude. I remember Angus on Bon's shoulders like it was yesterday...I have to admit, that show set the bar pretty high, & I was disappointed by a lot of bands I saw after that...

That concert hall is about an hour 1/2 - 2 hour drive from here (depending on who's driving...), & I had it so bad as a teenager, me & my buddies actually hitch-hiked there a few times. We always made it on time, & always got a ride back home, somehow....I wouldn't dare try that shit nowadays, I'd end up in a ditch somewhere with my throat cut....For me, the 80's were just one big party after another, I fuckin' loved it....I'm paying for that shit now though, I lived really hard for a lot of years, & it's kicked my ass now.....But....I had a lotta fun...:D.

I don't think an SG and an old Marshall can not sound AC/DC-ish in some way. They just have to sound like that. That's a good thing.

Dude, I just love the new SG. I know it's still the "new" thing, but it's a killer guitar. I must be luck about buying guitars online, or I've gotten used to playing shit guitars. Both the Gibsons I have are great. I've read stories about all kinds of issues, but again, I seem to have been pretty fortunate with 'em....

minerman
Watching video #3...nice intro titles :) The 100w demo sound terrific to me, sounds like a gnarly, cutting Marshall. With those particular settings, it really does show what the 50W switch does to the headroom of the amp. Sounds more squishy, less dynamic, less cutting. Still sounds pretty awesome to me but I tend to agree with Greg and you that it sounds better on the 100W setting.

Before I came down with the cold of the century, I had just started fiddling with Sony's Movie Studio Platinum 13. It used to be Sony Vegas, but they split the product line up so that now only the top couple of tiers are now called "Vegas". But those are like $300 and $500, out of my price range as a total video n00b wanting to make simple vids showing off gear. Just like you, I hammered Reaper into submission just enough to get a couple of videos made. But when it comes down to it, Movie Studio is much easier to manage and doesn't require as much dicking around just to get a simple video made. And it shares a lot of common basics with Reaper with the UI. Cool program, I'm anxious to figure out how to do more with it. As soon as I kick this cough, I'll whip up another video as an excuse to make some noise.

Thanks man, my DSL is a pretty good amp really. It's great for recording especially, but would fall short in a live situation due to the shared eq. But an eq pedal would probably solve that...And in 50w mode, it is more squishy/saggy feeling, & I could've dialed the tonestack in a little better, but that wasn't the point of that video...IMHO, in 100w mode, red channel OD1 is where it's at with that amp...thanks again dude...

That's what I did the last vid with Sony Movie Studio, it's only about $40, so I'll probably buy it. It reminds me of Reaper too, it was really easy to use right out of the gate....

The "Marshall" logo in the intro is a font you install on your pc btw....If you want a copy, lemme know. I've got the Orange amp font too...

Greg
I think that your Marshall collection is lacking in one very obvious area: the MG series. You need 30 blazing practice watts of teenage shredder angst, through a "custom" speaker of undetermined origin. Those things will be collectors' items one day! Well, garbage collectors' items, anyways :D
:laughings:

Dude, I just love the new SG. I know it's still the "new" thing, but it's a killer guitar. I must be luck about buying guitars online, or I've gotten used to playing shit guitars. Both the Gibsons I have are great. I've read stories about all kinds of issues, but again, I seem to have been pretty fortunate with 'em....

Yeah your SG seems pretty killer.

Yeah, Greg needs an MG Micro-Stack......I had one just a couple years ago, & posted some tones here from it. It actually wasn't completely terrible through my 1x12 Greeback cab....Can't remember, but I think that one was 15 watts. I had an original micro-stack in the 80's that was 12 ass-kickin' watts, & was actually a pretty good little amp...

See what the Gerg has done to me??? This was my "real" amp setup just about 3 years ago...It's all his fault...:laughings:

Bubba is going to be so upset he's missed the 1000 page / 10000 post "Corner" on this baby ... unless no-one posts for the next few hours until he's awake.:)

Back