The New Tone Thread

Hey Greg, it's too late tonight, but I'll do a little vid for you tomorrow about how I use a slide dude. That'd probably be a lot better than trying to understand my half-assed-illiterate jibberish.....:laughings:

MM,
Nice slide & yeah the rhythm isn't as cool as you're able to make it.
My wife bought me a lap steel a couple of years ago so I learned to play slide licks on a country tune

but haven't used it since.
I used standard tuning because I couldn't get my brain to remember where the notes were with another tuning.
I can be fun and has heaps of potential but really isn't something I listen to let alone play.

Cool slide playing miner - you're much better than me!

I play with the slide on my ring finger and use the index finger and fuck you finger to mute the strings behind the slide. I tend to stick to the E, B and G strings when playing slide though! Same though - usually stick in my pentatonic boxes or use other shapes but mainly sticking to the same five notes.

Greg, you can't be any more ham-fisted than I am dude, really. You can do this, it just takes a little pracitce...

I use standard tuning dude, some people tune to open chords, but when I was gigging a kid, I only had one guitar, so I had to play everything on the same guitar.

Every lead you've heard me play is using this simple little scale thing (unless I've copped somebody else's song/solo, & then I honestly don't know what the fuck scale or whatever they used, I play by ear, but this is the whole basis of my playing), even when I'm not using slide, everything...

E_______________________________5____8___
B_________________________5___8__________
G___________________5___7_________________
D_____________5___7______________________
A________5___7____________________________
E___5___8__________________________________

This is what I call the blues/pentatonic scale. Using these notes you would be playing in "A", & you just move up/down the fretboard to change key/chords. Move the notes up 2 frets (7-10, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 7-10, 7-10), & that's in "B"....

You can also jump down a string, & move up to "D" using 5-8, 5-7, 5-7, 5-8, 5-8....

I know you know where your power chords are up/down the neck, it's basically using the same thing...

Lemme know if this makes sense to you, I'm terrible at explaining things man...

Ha, yeah I know all that. Every lead I play basically revolves around that minor pentatonic shape thing and it's related positions up and down the neck. I didn't know slide was the same principle.

MM,
Nice slide & yeah the rhythm isn't as cool as you're able to make it.
My wife bought me a lap steel a couple of years ago so I learned to play slide licks on a country tune
but haven't used it since.
I used standard tuning because I couldn't get my brain to remember where the notes were with another tuning.
I can be fun and has heaps of potential but really isn't something I listen to let alone play.

Thanks Ray, I've really never tried any other tunings either man, when I first started learning slide, only had one guitar & had to use it for all the songs at gigs....I don't listen to much country music really, but some of those oldies we used to play in bands years ago I still kinda like....Thanks again dude!!!

Cool slide playing miner - you're much better than me!

I play with the slide on my ring finger and use the index finger and fuck you finger to mute the strings behind the slide. I tend to stick to the E, B and G strings when playing slide though! Same though - usually stick in my pentatonic boxes or use other shapes but mainly sticking to the same five notes.

Thanks Jdude, I'm just a hack man, really. I can make a few cool noises on the guitar & that's about it....Yes, the thicker strings sound bigger, but I tend to use the D,G, & B strings for open chord sounds myself. Dropping down a string opens up the possibility of little licks on the E/B strings together too, for me anyway...Pentatonic is all I know dude, like I said, I'm just a hack...

Ha, yeah I know all that. Every lead I play basically revolves around that minor pentatonic shape thing and it's related positions up and down the neck. I didn't know slide was the same principle.

Well, I'm sure more advanced/better players use different principles/styles than what I do, but like I said, I'm just a hack dude...It's just getting to learn certain little patterns up/down the neck & getting a feel for it dude...

I bet Lt. Bob can smoke on some slide since he spent so much time playing down south all those years with all those great players he's associated with...

I bet Lt. Bob can smoke on some slide since he spent so much time playing down south all those years with all those great players he's associated with...
What?!?! you mean he's real? I assumed Lt. Bob was really about 17 and played a Jackson through a Line6 Spider in some swanky middle-class suburb...

Of course he's real. He doesn't have as many vids on the net as Bigfoot, but he's as real as me or thee.

Ha, ha, I know that! I've been to his webpage before - his repertoire is insane!

Nickelback *shudder* I'm lucky enough to only (to my knowledge) have ever heard one Nickelback song. I remember when that single came out, the girl I lived with was like "You've gotta hear this song, its just your sort of thing, its great!" Given that she was a P Diddy fan I was already pretty dubious at this point. I remember that I was genuinely surprised by just how "fake" it sounded. Like it had been written by a computer algorithm designed to church out "alternative" rock. Fuck, now I've got that bastard chorus stuck in my head!

I am a slide player.

Standard tuning ..... I use my ring finger and used to always use Coricidin bottles .... switched to the thick Dunlop glass slides but for about 20 years now I've used one of two titanium slides a machinist friend made for me.
A very thick heavy one with a teflon insert which I don't use much anymore and a thin walled titanium that's my main slide.

For some reason slide has always been part of my thing ...... I was playing it fairly regularly all the way back to 1970

I am a slide player.

Standard tuning ..... I use my ring finger and used to always use Coricidin bottles .... switched to the thick Dunlop glass slides but for about 20 years now I've used one of two titanium slides a machinist friend made for me.
A very thick heavy one with a teflon insert which I don't use much anymore and a thin walled titanium that's my main slide.

For some reason slide has always been part of my thing ...... I was playing it fairly regularly all the way back to 1970

:) I knew that man, I just didn't know how much you were into it....We've had this discussion before here, but I couldn't remember what kind of slide or tuning(s) you use, so thanks man....I now remember the titanium slide you mentioned before...

I love slide guitar myself Bob, I'd love to hear you play sometime dude, again, I've always loved slide & I knew you were probably very good at it, especially with the musical background/history you've got...:thumbs up:

Yeah dude, I watched it yesterday....:)
I'd forgotten that was on there! Was a few years ago... guess I had too much time on my hand one lazy Sunday morning.

Have nickelback actually got decent tones? I'm saying they're shit but that is based one one song and my perception of their manufactured image.

Stuck in traffic so I just listened up to the first chorus of how you remind me. The guitar does sound pretty good actually, albeit a bit too "nice"

I'd forgotten that was on there! Was a few years ago... guess I had too much time on my hand one lazy Sunday morning.

:)

Have nickelback actually got decent tones? I'm saying they're shit but that is based one one song and my perception of their manufactured image.

Stuck in traffic so I just listened up to the first chorus of how you remind me. The guitar does sound pretty good actually, albeit a bit too "nice"

Well, it depends on what you think a good tone is man...I think some of their guitar tones are ok, but it's the "manufactured" thing that I don't like...

Their tone is typical Mesa Triple Rec slick, mass-produced, generic, modern coporate radio rock to me. The guitar tone is fine. The songs are shit.

:) I knew that man, I just didn't know how much you were into it....We've had this discussion before here, but I couldn't remember what kind of slide or tuning(s) you use, so thanks man....I now remember the titanium slide you mentioned before...

I love slide guitar myself Bob, I'd love to hear you play sometime
Glancing at your explanation .... I play out of a different postion than you do I think.

Mostly I'm based around that major triad on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings.
So if I'm in A I'm based on the 14th fret ...2nd, 3rd and 4th strings.
That way i can have chordal stuff similar to tuning to an open chord. I will branch out from there and do play lines but that triad is where I start from.

Back