Worst change to a guitar made by the manufacturer?

ido1957

9K Gold Member
I could post a poll but there's probably too many of them to list.

I'm going to pick the Gibson 2015 LP Deluxe's 3 knobs and one switch instead of 4 knobs.
Never did like that one...

I could go on and on but I'm trying to pick just one.

For me...ANY manufacturer that puts out a 3-bucker or 3-P90 version of what was originally a 2-PU guitar...is making a bad change (Strats not included, as they are originally a 3-PU guitar).

Just hate the look...and never could find any use for that middle PU, other than it gets in the way of your picking. :D

I would say the massive wide fence post neck on the les Pauls. I tried one and decided I preferred my ibanez.

Exactly! It makes sense on an ibanez. It's the antithesis of what an LP should be

The robo-tuner that came included on the 2014 Gibson standards, and just about the entire 2015 lineup.

Yeah, i tried a few 2015 models and they were terrible. Worst of everything, flat like my ibanez and short like my Washburn. I like to try. A really classic les Paul.

2015 Gibsons will go down in history like the 1973 Ford Pinto. Shit.

i've always hated acoustic guitars that have batteries or pickups. :/
except the gibson cf-100e.

I held a chambered Les Paul the other day. What a pointless thing to do to a Les Paul - they're supposed to be heavy.

I held a chambered Les Paul the other day. What a pointless thing to do to a Les Paul - they're supposed to be heavy.

Yeah, chambered LPs are not my favorite thing either. Most of them throughout history are weight relieved though. Nine approximately 3/4" swiss cheese holes are drilled into the body before the cap goes on. They've been doing that since the 50s. But the more recent chambering is pretty much too much.

Yeah, chambered LPs are not my favorite thing either. Most of them throughout history are weight relieved though. Nine approximately 3/4" swiss cheese holes are drilled into the body before the cap goes on. They've been doing that since the 50s. But the more recent chambering is pretty much too much.

Ah - that explains why my home-made is so heavy - a 2" plank of ash laminated to a 1" plank of mahogany. I wasn't aware they drilled LPs out as a matter of course. I love the weight of mine - the heavier the better. I even have a solid brass cover plate over the electrics cavity. :D

The SECOND I saw this thread I knew this was going to come up lol. I have a 97 Gibson Les Paul Special Lite fitted with locking tuners and a gigantic bigsby. It is my favorite of all favorites, even if it is a pussy guitar lol

unsnap2.jpg

Ah - that explains why my home-made is so heavy - a 2" plank of ash laminated to a 1" plank of mahogany. I wasn't aware they drilled LPs out as a matter of course. I love the weight of mine - the heavier the better. I even have a solid brass cover plate over the electrics cavity. :D

I like em heavy too. The heavier the better, and the heavy ones usually have a good snap and sustain to them. Swiss-cheesed LPs are still pretty heavy for a guitar. Usually in the 9-11 pound range. The legend of heavy assed LPs has grown to mythical status with most of them unknowingly having been swiss cheesed at the factory. Relatively very few of them are actual solid chunks of wood. I think part of what makes them cumbersome for some people is that they're heavy and also have no contours for comfort. There are no arm-rest bevels or belly cutouts like a Strat. Fat out of shape guys hate Les Pauls. They love Strats. Strats rest on a gut better. Lol.

My Lesbian Paula weighs 11 pounds exactly, and it's a traditional, so I assume it's not swiss cheesed at all, but it might be. I know it definitely is not chambered. And it sounds killer.

The SECOND I saw this thread I knew this was going to come up lol. I have a 97 Gibson Les Paul Special Lite fitted with locking tuners and a gigantic bigsby. It is my favorite of all favorites, even if it is a pussy guitar lol

View attachment 96213

Lol. I don't think they're "pussy guitars". I just generally don't like the sound of chambered Les Pauls. They do sound different. That's what I personally don't like about them. The odd size/weight ratio just adds to the confusion.

Lol. I don't think they're "pussy guitars". I just generally don't like the sound of chambered Les Pauls. They do sound different. That's what I personally don't like about them. The odd size/weight ratio just adds to the confusion.

One of my friends called it that :-)

Back