Packing 101 (read this if you want your recorder / mixer to arrive in one piece)

The buyer was very impressed with the packing I did on the 52B she bought from me last week. It arrived in the same condition as when it left my front porch.

She's happy with the machine. :drunk:

Sorry to see it go though.

Another one bites the dust......
TASCAM 32 REEL-TO-REEL TAPE RECORDER | eBay

If people actually realize that only a small percent of busted up machines get actually seen and that shipping damage is far, far more prevalent, nobody would risk it. There's a perception, erroneous at that IMHO, that only very few get damaged during transit. Well, here's the deal.... There's one constant in the shipping industry, whether it be UPS, FEDEX, DHL, USPS, Canada Post etc.... and it's that packages get handled very rough, dropped and kicked and tossed around. Only the best packed or crated packages suffer the least problems. That's great on paper but the problem is that the vast majority of people, sellers etc... do not know how to pack properly. The only conclusion that can be reached is that a majority of packages/items sustain some type of damage, be it even minor, due to insufficient packing. This is especially so for heavy, fragile and odd shaped electronics types. It really does take an extremely informed and bright individual, willing to take a lot of time, to send a package safely. There's not a lot of those individuals around. In my 10 years I've known only a handful of people, maybe less, that I'd be willing to do business with, entrust them with packing/shipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot-1.jpg
    Screenshot-1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot-2.jpg
    Screenshot-2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot-3.jpg
    Screenshot-3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot-5.jpg
    Screenshot-5.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot-4.jpg
    Screenshot-4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 58
Homebrew Custom Crating...

I recently traded my Ampex 440C halftrack project for a 3M M-64 halftrack. I sent the 440C out last week and I wanted to share what I did to make sure that it got from coast to coast safely via UPS. I build a plywood crate for the transport and then that crate was packed inside a double-wall box with close-cell foam all around it. I neglected to take pics of the complete crate-in-a-box package but I have pics of the custom crate.

I used 2" x 2" material to make a cradle for the transport and then screwed the transport to that cradle. The cradle was screwed to the bottom of the crate, and then a cover was made that went over all of that and fastened with screws. I used star-drive deck screws. Note that I put a layer of sill-seal foam in between the cradle and the transport to compensate for irregularities in the 2" x 2" material. I wanted to be reasonably sure the transport plate wasn't being stressed.

Here are the pics:

IMG_3268_1_1.JPG

IMG_3269_2_1.JPG

IMG_3270_3_1.JPG

IMG_3271_4_1.JPG

IMG_3272_5_1.JPG

IMG_3273_6_1.JPG

The new owner hasn't had a chance to open it up yet and check and see if everything is okay, but I'd be pretty surprised if it is not.

By doing it this way I believe I was able to send the shipment in an overall smaller package that I would have otherwise felt necessary were I using a cardboard inner carton.

Nice clean work. I have a Tascam series 70 and was thinking about doing the same. Thanks for the pics. They do help!

New entry into the hall of shame

Despite pleading with the seller to pack it exceptionally well, this was the result. He assured me that he "packed it like it was going into outer space." I guess he thinks the trip to outer space must be a cakewalk. Luckily, all the LEDs still work (which surprised me on this machine), and all 8 channels pass signal perfectly. But the take-up reel won't spin (no wonder after seeing the pictures). So I'm going to try to get an estimate for the repairs and file a claim with USPS. It was completely insured for the full value, so I may come out of it ok yet. Still, it's just a shame. This machine was pristine. It's palpable that he babied it (he was the original owner and said he "maintained it like an exotic sports car"), and yet this was the packing job?

I was so stoked about this purchase. Came with a 4050 auto-locator (with the cable), an MRL calibration tape (!), the original metal Fostex take-up reel, two 8-channel Hosa snakes, manuals for the 80 and 4050, and a new reel of Ampex 457.

Attachments

• 01 box 1.jpg
    01 box 1.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 02 box 2.jpg
    02 box 2.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 39
  • 03 holes.jpg
    03 holes.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 04 box open.jpg
    04 box open.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 05 open with top foam piece removed.jpg
    05 open with top foam piece removed.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 39
Hall of shame, part 2: More pictures

Here are some more pictures of the damage. :(

Attachments

• 06 small chip on front bottom right of 80.jpg
    06 small chip on front bottom right of 80.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 07 chunk missing from 4050.jpg
    07 chunk missing from 4050.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 08 damage to right front of 80.jpg
    08 damage to right front of 80.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 39
  • 09 Right reel table bent.jpg
    09 Right reel table bent.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 10 bent reel table from top.jpg
    10 bent reel table from top.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 40
You can not single-box stuff that weighs 50-100lbs.
No matter how much bubble and peanuts you put in, the outer single cardboard layer will give to the weight of the item, and it will be crushed and become loose inside...and then that's when the damage happens.

I few years back I purchased a used, spare Fostex G16 from a music store up north. It was in a rack, and they were including the rack...even though I didn't want it.
They put the whole thing inside a single box...almost no bubble other than a couple of small pieces...and being that it weight well over 75 lbs with the rack...the FedEx guys probably dropped it.

It came to me with the reel motors sheared off...and the head block all smashed...since these items stuck out of the rack.

Anyway...the music store gave me full refund and paid to have it shipped back...so problem...but I mean... how stupid can they be when packing large heavy items...???

You can not single-box stuff that weighs 50-100lbs.
No matter how much bubble and peanuts you put in, the outer single cardboard layer will give to the weight of the item, and it will be crushed and become loose inside...and then that's when the damage happens.

I few years back I purchased a used, spare Fostex G16 from a music store up north. It was in a rack, and they were including the rack...even though I didn't want it.
They put the whole thing inside a single box...almost no bubble other than a couple of small pieces...and being that it weight well over 75 lbs with the rack...the FedEx guys probably dropped it.

It came to me with the reel motors sheared off...and the head block all smashed...since these items stuck out of the rack.

Anyway...the music store gave me full refund and paid to have it shipped back...so problem...but I mean... how stupid can they be when packing large heavy items...???

Apparently quite stupid. I really don't understand. Not only are they wasting their time and my time, but people like that are also wasting their money because they have to pay for return shipping! It just doesn't make any sense.

So is this the second fostex 8track?

The first one being gunked up, and this was the super clean one?

BUMMER!!

Man, I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble trying to get an 8-track! And it breaks my heart to see yet another wonderful tape recorder destroyed through incompetent packing and rough handling. I'm getting leery about shipping anything, ever.

Back