The Compression conundrum - DP24

northern cali

Is there a way to hear a recorded track with compression on it? Ive tried looking this up but it seems like everybody has a different answer. Id like to record a vocal track, apply compression then bounce the vox+comp onto a new track to use in the mix. Ive only used the dp24 a handful of times so some basic instruction would really help.

Thanks.

tell me why you want to use compression. the way you phrase your question tells me you don't understand what it's for.

Is there a way to hear a recorded track with compression on it? Ive tried looking this up but it seems like everybody has a different answer. Id like to record a vocal track, apply compression then bounce the vox+comp onto a new track to use in the mix. Ive only used the dp24 a handful of times so some basic instruction would really help.

Why don't you just record the track with the built in compression effect? Do a couple test runs.....get the effect the way you want it and lay it down. No need to bounce after that. Go to page 64 of the manual and start there. You are also able to record a dry track and add compression after if you want to by using the "insert effect'. You are also able to send the dry track out to an external effect and record that to another open track if you wan to. All of this is covered in the manual and is pretty straight forward..............although if it's your first time using such equipment it can be confusing.

tell me why you want to use compression. the way you phrase your question tells me you don't understand what it's for.

I want to record vocals then in mixdown add compression to said vocals. I know what compression is, sorry if I didnt phrase my question right.

@mickster: I like to record the vocals dry then add effects during mixdown. That way i can sit and play around/experiment with the settings instead of being stuck with whatever settings I had before I recorded. I want to keep it all in the box so no external hardware.

I tried using the insert effect settings but i still cant seem to get it to work. I read the instructions but its not very clear. Would you be able to give me simple step by step instructions?

When I had my pro tools set up it was super easy to add effects to the track. With the dp its very confusing.

You cannot apply compression to recorded tracks on the DP24.

Do you know of any work arounds? I havent had a chance to use my dp but i was thinkin about using the mastering compression on the vocal track, saving it, and then bringing it back into the song im working on. Im sure itll be a bit of a hassle but it should work right?

Or should I just go ahead and buy an external compressor?

Thanks for any info

Do you know of any work arounds? I havent had a chance to use my dp but i was thinkin about using the mastering compression on the vocal track, saving it, and then bringing it back into the song im working on. Im sure itll be a bit of a hassle but it should work right?

Or should I just go ahead and buy an external compressor?

Thanks for any info

I don't think you would be able to judge the vocal against the music in real time whilst adding compression if you did that. I'd use an external compressor - this is what I do with the 2488 Neo that I have. I send the track out to the fx unit (TC Helicon VoiceLive rack, in this case) and back into the Neo, recording on a stereo pair of tracks if I add reverb etc., or if it's just compression and eq, I record onto a mono track.

You cannot apply compression to recorded tracks on the DP24.
Yes you can. You can apply / enable the "Insert Effect" and chose compression for that track. It can only be done on one track but it can be applied to any track as an adjustable effect.

I don't think you would be able to judge the vocal against the music in real time whilst adding compression if you did that. I'd use an external compressor - this is what I do with the 2488 Neo that I have. I send the track out to the fx unit (TC Helicon VoiceLive rack, in this case) and back into the Neo, recording on a stereo pair of tracks if I add reverb etc., or if it's just compression and eq, I record onto a mono track.
Ok, thanks...
Yes you can. You can apply / enable the "Insert Effect" and chose compression for that track. It can only be done on one track but it can be applied to any track as an adjustable effect.

Have you actually applied compression to a recorded track or is this only in theory? (Not trying to sound like a douche)

I'm late to the party here, but in case you still need a workaround, here's what I do. It only takes a couple minutes.

Remember when you bounce tracks, it takes whatever compression, EQ settings (including the digital trim setting and panning) and guitar effects you've got set on the track(s) you are bouncing from, and applies them to the track you are bouncing to, PERMANENTLY. I never need as many tracks as are available on the DP-24, so I don't even use bounce to combine tracks... I only use it to apply permanent changes to single tracks.

For instance, if you want to compress track 3 and you have track 9 open... Slide the track 3 input lever (or whatever the hell it's called) to the 6 line (all the way to the top), and put the track 9 input lever at the 0 line (second line from the top). I would also make sure the EQ for track 9 is set to flat (you can adjust it once you're done with this). Hit the EFFECT button and get the compressor up, set it to track 3, on PLAY (not REC) with the compressor settings you want. Hit the BOUNCE button so it's lit, then the REC button above track 9 so it flashes on and off red and hit the SELECT button for track 3 so it's lit up green. At this point you can hit play and hear how the track sounds with the compression, EQ settings, guitar effects, etc that you have set on track 3 (slide all the levers besides track 3 and 9 to the bottom so you can hear it better, if you want). You can screw around with the compressor or EQ or whatever while it plays to hear how it affects the sound. When you find the sound you want, rewind to the beginning of your song, hit the big record button in the bottom corner, let it run to the end of your song (or wherever in the song that you want the change you're making to end)... hit the stop button, then the bounce button (so the bounce light turns off), and track 9 should now have the contents of track 3 plus all the stuff you added. You can then clean out track 3 and use that track for something else if you want.

Sort of related to the topic, sort of not.

My old ancient Tascam 788 has a mode where in mixdown you can put a separate compressor on all 8 tracks at the same time (an 8 individual channel compressor). You can have different settings on each track/channel. I use this all of the time.

This way, my setup is:

EFF1: One of the internal 788 effects.
Either a multi effect applied to one track/channel (usually for a guitar), or a stereo effect available to be used in varying amounts on all channels (usually one of the delays/echoes).
EFF2: Applied using the AUX send. Used with an external digital reverb.
Compression: Almost always used as an 8 channel compressor as described above. Compression applied as needed individually to the 8 tracks/channels.

It is a shame (and a mystery) that the DP24 does not have this multiple channel compression feature.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Back