Re-amping? Is it this simple?

I have also just used a couple of adapters (XLR to 1/4" TS, and Male to Male XLR) to one of THESE with good results.

Like $30.

Are you looking at the Radial JCR Studio Reamper? That is what I use and it works very well.

They are made in Canada. They might be cheaper there...

Just a thought. :)
Yup. That's the one. Too late, I already placed the order. It's ok, it might be a few bucks cheaper here, but all the music stores are about $10 worth of gas each way, so I have to add $20 to anything I'd buy here.

And likely Sweetwater buys in bulk so the difference may be small anyway...

Rock solid unit tho. Also can be used as a DI. It works backwards as well. :)

Oh shut the fuck up.

(Hehe....just kidding. I enjoyed saying it so much last time, I couldn't help myself....:D)

Cool dude. You getting a hotter signal from the line out is usually how it goes, and why so many people erroneously think their amp is magically better with reamping. The box should get you squared away, feeding your amp a more natural signal.

Cool dude. You getting a hotter signal from the line out is usually how it goes, and why so many people erroneously think their amp is magically better with reamping. The box should get you squared away, feeding your amp a more natural signal.

Definitely. Gawd was on my side today. If I didn't spontaneously decide to start covering an Alice Cooper tune with a clean guitar last night, I might not have found out how fucked my signal was for a long time.

Radial gear is some of the better things that come out of Canada. ;)

Yeah, that Studio ReAmp box is based on the original passive REAMP design that Radial recently bought the rights to.
That was the box that started all the reamp stuff...and was always sought-after for reamping use.
Radial didn't fuck with the design, I think they just added a couple of more I/O features to it.

I have the original blue/white Radial XAmp reamper, which is an active box....but either of the reamp boxes will get the job done for guitar work.
I've considered adding the passive ReAmp, just to compare them, but I'm not using the XAmp all that much, so I've not bothered.

Here's a comparison chart of all their reamp options: Comparing Reampers

RAMI: I tried the transformer thing Jimmy suggested, but it just didn't work for me...I've still got it lying around here somewhere....

Cool that you found a problem beforehand dude, you should be good to go when your re-amp box arrives...I really like mine, as I've mentioned, I always record a di & an amp track, that way if I wanna change the sound later, I can...I really have no idea why the transformer Jimmy suggested didn't work for me, I tried that, my POD X3Live, & a bunch of other shit before I finally bought the Radial box & it solved my issues...

Greg: I'd considered one of those DIY things, but just bit the bullet & bought the $100 Radial...Recording a di is a good thing IMO dude, like I mentioned, you can always go back & change the sound if you're not happy with it, & you might have "the" performance you wanted....

Greg: I'd considered one of those DIY things, but just bit the bullet & bought the $100 Radial...Recording a di is a good thing IMO dude, like I mentioned, you can always go back & change the sound if you're not happy with it, & you might have "the" performance you wanted....

Nah, I'm not concerned with all that. My "performances" are easily repeatable, and fun! Lol. I've got some other projects going on with other people that might benefit from being able to do some reamping.

I do a lot of late night home playing/recording, and found the Vox Lil' Night Train (NT2H) amplifier perfect for my needs. With 2 watts into 16ohms, you can drive it for a great sound at a low volume through a cabinet, or take the signal directly out of the amp's built in headphone/line output into your board or recorder. Sadly these amps are no longer made, but can be found on ebay for $125-$175 (US dollars). And as an added bonus - they look cool as hell!

OK, I got the Radial Reamp box in the mail today.

Problem is, I can't hook it up today. I didn't realize that the input is XLR. But the output of the US-1800 is 1/4".

On the reamp box, the input says "+4db LINE". So, I know I need a 1/4" to XLR jack, but do I need TRS, or just a mono jack, or what?

I would guess your US-1800 is a TRS/balanced line level connection.

[EDIT]

Looking at the US-1800 manual....you have 4 balanced 1/4, line level outputs....so they would be TRS.

I would guess your US-1800 is a TRS/balanced line level connection.

[EDIT]

Looking at the US-1800 manual....you have 4 balanced 1/4, line level outputs....so they would be TRS.
Awesome, thanx. I have a bunch of 1/4" to TRS, but the XLR end is female. I need male. Had I known this, I would have ordered the wire with the box. Thanx man.

Yeah....a few turn-arounds are worth keeping on hand....both male/female and female/male.
I guess you could call them transgender adapters. :)

Thanx guys, those look handy to have around.

Anyway, just came back from the store and got my wire. The shortest they had was 25', but that's ok. I'm about to hook it all up now. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't blow anything up. :eek:

Quick test and everything works like a charm. This time, I wasn't as stupid. I plugged in my guitar, played, and then plugged in the box and compared volumes, gain, etc......All is good. Got a few tunes I can finally finish up now, baby.

Without digging through the thread...just curious....were you doing the reamp thing to take advantage of amp sims or was it more about playing late w/o amp, or just to see what the fuss was about....etc...?

If I recall, you recently got a new amp (right?)...and I seem to remember that you were getting some decent tones out of it and happy with it.

Back