Help please: Tascam 2488 Neo owners......is a slight hum normal ?

Gdub1

Hi everyone! New member here. :)

I've just bought a new Tascam Neo.

When switched on, there is a low level hum that is audible from several feet away. I've tried a few experiments and it's the same hum level in different plug sockets, in different rooms.
It's not that it's terrible, but it is a bit louder than I expected.... most of my other electrical items are reasonably quiet.

Is this audible 'hum' (and a smidge of 'mechanical noise') typical of the Neo/2488 ?

Is your Neo/2488 noisy or quiet ?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Took it to a friend's flat......noticeably less hum....but there's still a bit and it's definately mechanically noisy. Kinda like the sound of permanently 'whirring fans' on a slightly noisy computer.

So my question still stands:

Is your Neo/2488 noisy or quiet ?

Last edited:
My Neo is relatively quiet - quiet enough to use a mic a few feet away and not pick up any unwanted noise.
My thoughts (and I am no expert on this) is that its possibly your electric supply or that there is some vibration from what you have the Neo sitting on.
Does it affect your recordings??

Zeek

Hi Zeekle. Thanks for replying.

I haven't recorded anything yet! I decided not to even bother until I've decided whether the basic noise level is acceptable....and I think I know what the source of the noise might be; it's the hard drive.

It seems to me that, even during the start-up sequence, it's noisy! It kinda 'clunks' during that sequence, like an old computer booting up. Also, I reckon the constant mechanical whirring I can hear is probably the hard drive too.

Hmm! I reckon I might have a lemon! Two other people on the forum say their Neos' are totally quiet.

Can you hear much (constant) mechanical noise from your Neo ?
Mine is just loud enough to be annoying in a quiet room.

Mine is definately quiet enough to record with.

It could be a faulty HD - again not an expert but I have had a drive or two make some undesirable sounds when I owned a 788. You could replace it with a new one or, as your Neo is new, take it back to the shop..... a right pain but best to do before the warranty runs out. They are great machines when going right

Probably best to get it swapped with another 2488 - in fact, if you can, return the 2488 and try the Tascam DP-24 - its the updated version of the 2488, but it uses SD-card media which have no moving parts. My 2488 also makes a slight bit of noise due to the hard drive spinning. I just move further from the deck and its fine, but if you notice it over the mics, the drive might be wonky.

Hi cb!

I looked at the DP-24 specs and I was tempted......but.....overall, I was a bit disappointed with the spec compared to the Neo. Eg: No S/PDIFF. Less virtual tracks...etc.

Worryingly, I saw a comment that 'dry tracks and fx routing' was not as flexible as the 2488...indeed. it was questioned whether this limitation might be a total deal breaker!

I'd welcome any views on these spec issues, from those who've compared the DP-24 with their 2488 ?

Anyway, I'd luv a dp-24...That screen, channel strips, SD card, etc.

But...early reviews already talk about major bugs. Bummer!

I'm also watching for some actual user reviews on the DP-24 before I pull the trigger on one. Luckily, my original 2488 Mk I is still working like a champ (and has no hum, by the way). I'm not overly crazy about the track assignment on the DP-24, where it's effortless on the 2488, and your mention of a comment about the "dry tracks and fx routing" would absolutely be a deal breaker for me. I use the Send on my 2488 to route tracks out to my FX rack all the time, and return the effected signal to free tracks, so I can mix them with the dry tracks later on. If the DP-24 doesn't support that function, I'm no longer interested at all.

I'm also interested in the DP-24, but it's still a mystery on how the machine works and what it can do. I've downloaded the manual and it's pretty vague on quite of few aspects of the machine. But, from what I've read and seen briefly on a YouTube video, assigning tracks is as easy as pressing one of the source buttons under each preamp gain knob, there is one under each of the 8 preamps, and then pressing the track that you want to assign to that preamp. Seems pretty simple. It seems that using the menu option for assigning tracks is done for the purpose of setting up a working studio template that the machine remembers so you can turn the machine on and start working without having to assign tracks, it's already been done.

pbassbob - In theory, any effects send should be able to be brought back into a machine on open tracks and printed. The fact the machine has two effect sends and wouldn't let you print those to open tracks would be...... strange. So hopefully, the DP-24 would work like any other machine in this way. What's nice is if you could also simply have the effects routed to the main L&R buss without having to use extra tracks. That's useful if you don't need to print the tracks, just have them in mixdown. But blending them like you do is also very useful. Lets hope they got this right on both ends.

I'm curious about the routing of the external effects sends on the back for a different reason. I send tracks out of my machines that I've already recorded and process them through external gear, amps, compressors, boxes, etc. and then bring the new versions back in to empty tracks. This is a must for me. I haven't found any info on how to take tracks out of the main L and R busses and send them only through the effect sends. Actually, there isn't ANY info on how the main L R buss system works in the manual AT ALL. In theory, it should be capable, but I need confirmation.
Using the stereo outs for me would be for a headphone amp to provide phones mixes for a band.

Also, how do you mute the main monitor outs and still hear the headphones? The main monitor knob on top of the machine controls both. So how do you track in the same room the machine is in? This is not in the manual. Maybe it's too simple to mention? You can't have your drum or guitar mics picking up your studio monitors play back when tracking . They don't mention this.

I've never used SD cards to record with. It's been hard drives up to this point for me. How many hours does a 32 gig card provide? I like the idea of a quiet machine, hard drive chatter is no good. So the SD seems appealing. Also, from the manual it states that the CD burner is never enabled when recording, so it's only "turned on" when you need to import from or mixdown to a CD. This is a forward thinking design in my book.

Anyhow, this is my first post, I joined the forum to talk about the DP-24, as I'm curious about the quality and functionality of this machine.
So.... greetings to all. :)

BTW, I wouldn't let any of the reviews thus far on the net influence anyone just yet, it seems most of the people's reviews are from beginner users and folks just learning how the machine works. If I had to guess, probably plenty of user errors are involved. I'm curious about the A/D converters and the quality of the preamps. If any users of previous models of the DP series would like to comment, I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm coming from an Akai DPS24 (which is on it's last leg) , a most amazing machine, but they don't exist anymore. I'm looking for something new, so my eyes are on this Tacam unit!

Also, I find it amazing that Tascam themselves are not on this board answering questions. That doesn't sit well with me.
cheers,
steely

Hi bob!

I completely agree with this:

"I use the Send on my 2488 to route tracks out to my FX rack all the time, and return the effected signal to free tracks, so I can mix them with the dry tracks later on. If the DP-24 doesn't support that function, I'm no longer interested at all."

That'd be a deal-breaker for me too.

I read a couple of posts on the (recently defunct) 'Tascamforums' that suggested it was no longer possible to do this type of 2488 style dry track/fx routing on the DP-24!.....and the forum closed before any more discussion of this issue could take place!

Hi steely!

Once more, I'd have to agree with this:

"I'm curious about the routing of the external effects sends on the back for a different reason. I send tracks out of my machines that I've already recorded and process them through external gear, amps, compressors, boxes, etc. and then bring the new versions back in to empty tracks. This is a must for me. I haven't found any info on how to take tracks out of the main L and R busses and send them only through the effect sends. Actually, there isn't ANY info on how the main L R buss system works in the manual AT ALL. In theory, it should be capable, but I need confirmation."

...and you're right, there are a number of crucial operating issues that need clarifying by Tascam.

This COULD be a great bit of kit....BUT....the first reviews I've seen (on 'Musicians Friend' and a couple of other US retail sites) have talked about major 'operating system' bugs!

Hi bob!

I completely agree with this:

"I use the Send on my 2488 to route tracks out to my FX rack all the time, and return the effected signal to free tracks, so I can mix them with the dry tracks later on. If the DP-24 doesn't support that function, I'm no longer interested at all."

That'd be a deal-breaker for me too.

I read a couple of posts on the (recently defunct) 'Tascamforums' that suggested it was no longer possible to do this type of 2488 style dry track/fx routing on the DP-24!.....and the forum closed before any more discussion of this issue could take place!

Hi Gdub!

The DP-24 had just been launched at NAMM when the Tascam Forum members (of which I was one) got the word that the founder, Bruce Heidorn (Dr. Who) had passed away after a long illness. There was initially talk about his family or other forum admins/mods keeping the forum going, and then it went dark. If you try and go there now, the page, which has been parked since then, now provides a contact number for anyone who wants to buy the domain...I think it's gone for good, which is a shame. It was a great resource for me when I first got the original 2488 (Mk I) some 6 or 7 years ago.

I think there's a lot of 2488 family users who routinely route tracks out to their preferred FX devices, and bring them back on open tracks...I've done that right from the start, simply because I prefer the devices I have in the rack to the ones incorporated in the 2488.

The color screen is a nice touch...the screen on the 2488 has always been a pain to work with...but they should have added a video out for those who would prefer to use a larger monitor. SD cards will be a boon for those who take the deck to record live, as it'll be far less sensitive to vibrations without a hard drive in it.

I wasn't crazy about the track assignment in the DP-24, as it's now done onscreen...I find the button method in the 2488 so natural, I don't even think about it when I assign tracks. I also noted the lack of a second "H" input for guitar in the front of the unit - instead, there's a small Guitar/Line switch next to the H input, mounted in the back. That'll be a pain to switch for those who sometimes plug in direct to the unit. I'm going to have to dig through the PDF manual again, paying careful attention to the Send function...I've set aside the funds for the DP-24 out of our tax refund, but if I can't send tracks out to the rack and bring them back in on empty tracks, I'll be taking a pass on this one. I'll continue cleaning the buttons on mine as needed, when they stick, and I'll be forever grateful that I not only printed the step by step directions for replacing the hard drive (from the Tascam Forums), but I also bought the Seagate drive that was the preferred upgrade....that Seagate is sitting new in its box, just waiting for the time when I'll need to transplant it into my 2488!

I'm also interested in the DP-24, but it's still a mystery on how the machine works and what it can do. I've downloaded the manual and it's pretty vague on quite of few aspects of the machine. But, from what I've read and seen briefly on a YouTube video, assigning tracks is as easy as pressing one of the source buttons under each preamp gain knob, there is one under each of the 8 preamps, and then pressing the track that you want to assign to that preamp. Seems pretty simple. It seems that using the menu option for assigning tracks is done for the purpose of setting up a working studio template that the machine remembers so you can turn the machine on and start working without having to assign tracks, it's already been done.

pbassbob - In theory, any effects send should be able to be brought back into a machine on open tracks and printed. The fact the machine has two effect sends and wouldn't let you print those to open tracks would be...... strange. So hopefully, the DP-24 would work like any other machine in this way. What's nice is if you could also simply have the effects routed to the main L&R buss without having to use extra tracks. That's useful if you don't need to print the tracks, just have them in mixdown. But blending them like you do is also very useful. Lets hope they got this right on both ends.

I'm curious about the routing of the external effects sends on the back for a different reason. I send tracks out of my machines that I've already recorded and process them through external gear, amps, compressors, boxes, etc. and then bring the new versions back in to empty tracks. This is a must for me. I haven't found any info on how to take tracks out of the main L and R busses and send them only through the effect sends. Actually, there isn't ANY info on how the main L R buss system works in the manual AT ALL. In theory, it should be capable, but I need confirmation.
Using the stereo outs for me would be for a headphone amp to provide phones mixes for a band.

Also, how do you mute the main monitor outs and still hear the headphones? The main monitor knob on top of the machine controls both. So how do you track in the same room the machine is in? This is not in the manual. Maybe it's too simple to mention? You can't have your drum or guitar mics picking up your studio monitors play back when tracking . They don't mention this.

I've never used SD cards to record with. It's been hard drives up to this point for me. How many hours does a 32 gig card provide? I like the idea of a quiet machine, hard drive chatter is no good. So the SD seems appealing. Also, from the manual it states that the CD burner is never enabled when recording, so it's only "turned on" when you need to import from or mixdown to a CD. This is a forward thinking design in my book.

Anyhow, this is my first post, I joined the forum to talk about the DP-24, as I'm curious about the quality and functionality of this machine.
So.... greetings to all. :)

BTW, I wouldn't let any of the reviews thus far on the net influence anyone just yet, it seems most of the people's reviews are from beginner users and folks just learning how the machine works. If I had to guess, probably plenty of user errors are involved. I'm curious about the A/D converters and the quality of the preamps. If any users of previous models of the DP series would like to comment, I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm coming from an Akai DPS24 (which is on it's last leg) , a most amazing machine, but they don't exist anymore. I'm looking for something new, so my eyes are on this Tacam unit!

Also, I find it amazing that Tascam themselves are not on this board answering questions. That doesn't sit well with me.
cheers,
steely

Hi Steely - great name! We share many of the same questions and concerns about the DP-24, but I wanted to specifically thank you for mentioning one that I'd overlooked - the lack of a "Mute" button on the monitor control! We do have a drum kit with a 4 mike setup on it (a la Glyn Johns), as well as the vocal mike (when tracking vocals)...either of those would pick up the monitors if they weren't muted, and I suspect the vocal mike in particular could set up one heck of a feedback loop! I really need to hit the manual hard this weekend and see about muting the monitors while keeping the headphones active...as well as the other concerns we've discussed. This may be a nice setup for some, but it's looking less practical for me.....

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any Tascam reps to chime in....their lack of forum participation and support is why the user based Tascam Forums came to be in the first place, which is a shame on their part.

Hi Steely - great name! We share many of the same questions and concerns about the DP-24, but I wanted to specifically thank you for mentioning one that I'd overlooked - the lack of a "Mute" button on the monitor control! We do have a drum kit with a 4 mike setup on it (a la Glyn Johns), as well as the vocal mike (when tracking vocals)...either of those would pick up the monitors if they weren't muted, and I suspect the vocal mike in particular could set up one heck of a feedback loop! I really need to hit the manual hard this weekend and see about muting the monitors while keeping the headphones active...as well as the other concerns we've discussed. This may be a nice setup for some, but it's looking less practical for me.....

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any Tascam reps to chime in....their lack of forum participation and support is why the user based Tascam Forums came to be in the first place, which is a shame on their part.

Evening. :)

Well, I found a video where a Tascam rep confirms that yes, you simply press your desired preamp button and then your desired track and routing is done. Simple. So no worries about menu diving there. I would have included the video link, but you have to have 10 post first before you can attach links..... and i'm the new guy. Silly rule, but I guess it helps with spam. As you were.

I was thinking about the monitor mute button. There's simply no way tascam overlooked that feature. It's not mentioned in the manual, as well as plenty of other things, but to not be able to track through just phones without the monitors playing essentially defeats the purpose of having 8 preamps, to a certain degree, along with being alarmingly unprofessional. I understand it's priced for what it does and is, but even a simple songwritter singing and playing acoustic guitar would need to mute the monitors to track in the same room, especially with a condensor mic. (Right! Feedbck loop!) And who mixes on headphones only? So, I'm thinking this is just something not mentioned in the manual. I mean, this is not a "feature", it's required to even begin working. I'm sure Tascam understands all this stuff, right? I mean, for most studios I've been in and worked in, the STEREO OUT in machines are for headphone mixes for the musicians. What would be the point?

So yea, if they got the forementioned correct and you can print effects and send tracks OUT of the aux's, even without motor faders the machine would seem fairly worthy of using. I would have paid double if it had motorised fader memory, dedicated group busses, at least 4 aux outs and inserts. I don't understand why these companys don't treat these stand alone machines as serious professional production machines anymore! I used Cubase and DAW based sytems for 7 years, and making music with a computer is about the least romantic thing I can think. I can't stand staring at bright monitor screens, and hate useing a mouse. When these PROTOOLS guys came by my studio and saw how my Akai sounded and that I never needed to look at screens and just used my ears, they felt like the industry has been tricking them. LOL. :)The fact that this has been excluded from the DP-24 makes me think they are on the right track. If that's a requirement, then folks should just use a computer. I need practical working features, not endless options. As long as the machine sounds good, and has professional working features, I'm considering giving the DP-24 a go.

cheers,
steely

Hi steely,

I did some more manual digging last night, and I think we'll be able to use the sends to route tracks to external devices as we've been doing, and of course bringing the returns back to open tracks is a simple matter of assignment, as they're just a line level signal. I scoured the manual looking for some means of muting the monitors while using headphones, but found none. The monitor select button brings up a window with choices such as Stereo, Bounce, Effect Sends, but no mute...the Mute button, to the left of the monitor control, serves to put the channels into mute mode, and one uses the record button to mute a particular track. That's another odd means of accomplishing a task served more simply on the 2488 by having a mute button on each track.

A functional block diagram would be nice to see - the stereo outs on the rear could logically feed a headphone distribution amp, and as long as they're NOT controlled by the monitor volume, problem solved...however, there's no mention in the manual of whether or not the stereo out signal is controlled by the monitor volume or by the master L&R fader.

I'll continue to watch for hands on reviews from those who've taken the plunge...especially from someone who's moved to this from a previous 2488 product, and can address the differences that we're concerned about. If I can find any, I'll make it a point to get to a level where I can add links here for those who, like myself, are watching this with great interest.

Alas and alack!
The Tascams' gone back
I wanted another
but it turned out like t'other
so the buggers' been given the sack!

;=(

'Help me Obi-Wan DP-24....you're my only hope!'

Alas and alack!
The Tascams' gone back
I wanted another
but it turned out like t'other
so the buggers' been given the sack!

;=(

'Help me Obi-Wan DP-24....you're my only hope!'

Sorry to hear that the replacement Neo had the same issue, Gdub....at least, that's what I'm getting from your "Dr. Seuss" post! If you are going to take the plunge and get a DP-24, you know that steelyfan and I will be curious about the monitor mute question we've been discussing. It looks like the effect send/return should be no problem at all, but we haven't yet got a handle on whether dropping the monitor volume would lower the L&R out or not.
Either way, I do hope you get a solution that works for you soon!

Sorry to hear that the replacement Neo had the same issue, Gdub....at least, that's what I'm getting from your "Dr. Seuss" post! If you are going to take the plunge and get a DP-24, you know that steelyfan and I will be curious about the monitor mute question we've been discussing. It looks like the effect send/return should be no problem at all, but we haven't yet got a handle on whether dropping the monitor volume would lower the L&R out or not.
Either way, I do hope you get a solution that works for you soon!

Hi bob!

Yeah! The inherent noise level of the 2488 doesn't suit me....or my power supply....which is odd, as I've got lot's of gear rigged up....all quietly functioning with no apparent noise of any kind!
Electrical (ground shielding ?) hums aside, I thought the basic mechanical/hard drive noise was also unacceptably noisy. So, there it is!

I've been following your DP-24 conversation with steely (most informative, thanks to you both) and it's good to hear some positive news on dry tracks/fx routing.
However, reading the early user reviews, there are obviously some worrying problems.

So, I'll check out the DP-24 again .....in a couple of months, or three, when 1 (or 2) firmware updates have addressed these 'operating system' problems.....assuming they can be fixed and it's not a complete, bug ridden, lemon!
I sincerely hope not....coz i really want one & I can't see any other equivalent, current, standalone options.... but time (and more user reviews) will tell.

Thanks to you and everyone who responded to my OP.

I'm sure the DP-24 will have us all gathered again soon, looking for more info. I really hope it's a winner.....

....or I'm screwed!

;=)

Hi bob!

I've been following your DP-24 conversation with steely (most informative, thanks to you both) and it's good to hear some positive news on dry tracks/fx routing.
However, reading the early user reviews, there are obviously some worrying problems.

So, I'll check out the DP-24 again .....in a couple of months, or three, when 1 (or 2) firmware updates have addressed these 'operating system' problems.....assuming they can be fixed and it's not a complete, bug ridden, lemon!

Hi Gdub,

I have no experience with the Neo, but can attest that the original 2488 Mk I is a very quiet unit, more than capable of making good quality recordings...for examples of the work my friends and I have done with mine over the past 6 years, feel free to have a listen at our web site - can't yet post a link, but if you follow the three w's with anitabob dot com slash crossroads slash music dot html, I think you'll get there ok!

The overwhelming majority of the music found at that page was all done on the 2488...as I listen to them now, I find they improve over time, which I think is due to trial, error, and experience gained more than anything else...the gear is the same.

I was tempted to pull the trigger this morning....B&H Photo in NY has a great reputation from my days as a shutterbug, and they're offering the DP-24 for a little over 650 US, which is the lowest price I've seen as yet. Were it not for the same reviews as you've cited (freezes up, tuner far out of calibration, etc.), I'd probably have gone ahead and placed an order. I think your idea is very good...be patient, wait a little while for them to make their way out to people, read reviews, watch for firmware updates, and so on. I think that'll get us a unit that's more reliable in the long run.

Bob

A little off topic, but I am glad I found this forum. I was disappointed that the Tascam Forum was gone. I am hoping I can use this forum to address future issues with my 2488. You all sound very respectful and helpful.

Back