Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Been a while since I have been to the HR site..So I will post some of my recordings via a link to our record crate company (not spamming here folks).. We have a "Your Music" page for home recordings.. We sell Peaches Record Crates for the old timers who remember them., as well as custom logo crates for record companies...Please send your music and we do real nice writeups with pics or liner notes..

My personal recordings are on the "Art Schaerer Combo, TheReverbbers, and the Reloaded Band."

Thanks, good thttp://http://www.peachesrecordcrates.com/your-music.htmlo be back,

Clevo

Hey Folks, I've been out of the loop for some seasons, I peek in now and again, I haven't lost 'the faith', just following life's changes which had me leaving all my analog studio project pieces (Tascam 38, 388, spring verb etc...) on the other side of the ocean... I'm living in Berlin now for at least a year... I've been working with portable digital stuff, with little hope to renew my analogical tendencies, but recently I got a good deal on a (euro 220volt) Tascam 246 (which I've always wanted) and today I put it through the paces.
was half way through when I realized the DBX was disengaged, so we have a bit of (not unpleasant perhaps) 'Lo-fi' vibe.... and I found a Boss RX100 spring verb which I'm using on the fx send.

so, the signal chain= (mics) SeX1 & AT pro 37 > M-audio dmp3 > FMR RNLA > Tascam 246 (high speed no dbx) (w/boss Spring verb as FX send) > output mixed to > FMR RNLA > Zoom r16 > computer mp3 file > upload.....

I wrote the song a few months ago...

first the dim lit 246 home studio photo:
Tascam-246.jpg

(in my trapezoidal Graefekietz room)

and the track ('Song for Isabel'):

yep, I miss my big heavy analog stuff, little chance I'll ever get it over here and what it would take to rewire it for 220v Euro power I don't know...
still fun to at least have the cassette tracker to play around on...

...and I wouldn't think of complaining - life is pretty good here in Berlin for underpaid musicians!:drunk:

Lune.
I really like the sound of this!!!
Great song.I recently got a 246.This is the kind of vibe im going for when using it.
It sounds great for acoustic stuff.
Nice work.

hey j.harv, thanks for the feedback~!
yeah, the 246 lets you really enjoy the sound of simple arrangements - I think it pairs well with spring verb too - don't know that I would enjoy the spring so much always on 'higher fidelity' setups.
My 246 feels a bit like a granpa though - the motors a bit noisy and there's some funny erratic hiss/hums in there ( I don't hear it on the mix downs without headphones, but...) If I have the time someday, I'd like to pull him apart & give him a tune up... looks like its built like the other 80's era tascam stuff (channel cards like the 388?) - I imagine it could respond well to cap replacement... and should be easy enough to get in there....

Been a while since I've been here, but I haven't done analog in years. I do have a video (digital) that was recorded last week. Other than bringing in the guest artist on 5 songs for the gig of the band "Voodoo" from Vero Beach here, I had nothing to do with the recording. I thought you guys might get a kick out of my friend, Billy Mure. Feel free to Wikipedia him if you want to learn more. Billy Mure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This video was shot last Wed. I told him to show up and that I would get him on stage (bring your guitar) with the band. The songs were totally unrehearsed. Here's his video, you'll learn why he has an analog reputation (actually, I'm recording a song with him now and am up to 106 digital tracks). Enjoy. Oh, Billy's bakground is analog. :)

It's been a while since I think I introduced myself, if I ever did so at all. So, by way of brief introduction, about a year ago, after 40 years of the sickness known as audiophilia, collecting recordings, programming music on FM radio in the 70s and now programming performing arts (including music) at our local university, I decided I'd collected about all the music I was interested in, the new stuff was crap and I needed a new hobby to replace another money-pit, auto racing. :D Couple that decision with a late night drinking session with friends in the Library, History, and English departments that led to the realization "there's grant money in this!" and, former entrepreneur that I am, I was off and running.

So I started a little recording studio upstairs from my office, using some stuff I bought and some stuff from a donation to the University. I'm learning. And I'm chasing local acoustic musicians, recording them, interviewing them, and archiving their stuff for the university library's Special Collections department. It's mostly bluegrass, but I've also encountered a delta-style fingerpicker who writes amazing blues tunes, a couple of folkies, a songwriter or two, and so on. Anyway, here's a few tracks from some of our efforts:

Love Come Home, by Bunch of Bluegrass

Wayfaring Stranger, by Bunch of Bluegrass

Moped Boogie, By Lon Eldredge

The basic equipment setup includes several KEL Audio mics (some 1s, a 2, a 3 and a 7) feeding a Tascam M50 board and a Teac 3440 recorder. We mix through some very gentle settings on an FMR RNC to a Focusrite Sapphire 24 converter which feeds a Macbook at 24/96 settings. The archived masters stay at 24/96 while distribution files are either 16/44.1 or 320 kbs mp3s, like these. I'm starting to play with a UREI 1176LN, a TubeTech CL1B, a couple of dbx 160s, and some other odds-n-ends from a heap of donated equipment from a now-gone studio in Chattanooga, but none of that is used on any of these recordings. I'd set up all of the good stuff from the donation, but there's no room on campus, so this effort is kind of a demonstration project to garner enough interest and funding to get it all put back together.

We also have some portable Marantz cassette decks to take feeds from the boards in several local venues, which adds to the archive very quickly.

Be curious to know your thoughts. There's also a blog (something of a requirement for grant applications) at reelrecording.wordpress.com if you're interested.

Just in time for the holidays!

A cover of Spinal Tap's "Christmas with the Devil"

SoundClick artist: Ex-Night Stalker - page with MP3 music downloads

All tracks except for the vocals, left guitar, and lead guitar were recorded live with the drums in my band's practice space. This was recorded on a Tascam MS-16 through a Soundcraft Ghost mixer. The analog tracks were dumped to a RADAR V and mixed and mastered by my lead guitar player. I'm especially happy with how the drums came out. This was recorded on a whim, we learned the song that day and decided it would be fun to record.

Hope you enjoy!
-MD

The Kinks - Strangers Cover

I JUST today finished restoring my second tascam 38 and needless to say I am SO glad it is done!
To celebrate I recorded one of my favorite songs, I don't do it justice, but I am pretty happy with it.
Tape is RMG 911, thanks for listening!

Okay, I'm going to have this mastered in the new year, but here is the final mix for one of the tracks on the new album. I think I did a quick instrumental version many months ago, but this is what it should sound like:

(7:20)
...one of these days I'll put things on Soundclick or something.

Vocals were tracked to my old TSR-8, rerecorded and edited via punch-ins as necessary and then dropped in to the MSR-24 using sync. Instruments were recorded straight to the MSR-24.
Mixing was done on the 10th of December and was a rather stressful process, not least trying to line up the A807 with only crappy meters to hand and never being quite sure if it was biased right, but it seems to have turned out pretty well for all that, if I do say so myself.

Things I would have done differently:
* Getting guest voices for the news reporting at the start. I tried to arrange that but no-one I knew was able to record them in a timely manner so I resorted to manipulating my own take via Audacity (and also varying the tape speed while it was being bounced)
* More use of the minimax on tracks 1 and 2 of the album.

Back