HELP fire wire pci problems

Disease8

I really need help with this I am going a bit mad..
I got the pro 40 Focusrite and just been having problems!

So I bought a Belkin PCI fire wire card for my new PC and after letting windows (xp sp3) install the drivers it shows up as:

I - HS 3d Sensor IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
I --> HS 3d Sensor IEEE1394 Texas Instruments

And it does not detect my Pro40.
I do not have another firewire device to check it, but my pro 40 works with my pcmcia card on my laptop with the same wire.

I really need to get this sorted ASAP as i am in the middle of working on a project..

Thanks..
D.
:(

Maybe try to reinstall the drivers for the Pro40?? Just guessing, but doesn't hurt.

Have you another firewire cable you can try?

(Unless, of course, the PC uses the same firewire cable as the laptop. My laptop will only take a 4 pin firewire)

Your first mistake was buying something built by Belkin.

I used a Belkin router at my grandparents' house for a while. It would crash about every two or three hours (and more often under load).

I bought a Belkin USB to serial adapter a few years before that, and it had a short in it, so my machine shut off as soon as I plugged it in. Oops.

I'd buy electronics made by furniture makers before I'd buy another Belkin product. As far as I can tell, Belkin OEMs crappy Chinese-made junk and then ships it, apparently with little or no testing or quality control. It's crap.

I used a Belkin router at my grandparents' house for a while. It would crash about every two or three hours (and more often under load).

I bought a Belkin USB to serial adapter a few years before that, and it had a short in it, so my machine shut off as soon as I plugged it in. Oops.

I'd buy electronics made by furniture makers before I'd buy another Belkin product. As far as I can tell, Belkin OEMs crappy Chinese-made junk and then ships it, apparently with little or no testing or quality control. It's crap.

Really? I thought going for a name brand was a step up from the usual ebay shite I buy lol! I guess the proof is in the price I paid for it..
I may just return it then..

Any advice on a good TI chipset PCI fire wire card? Also I am very low on cash..

I think its hard to trust any company because they all churn out some crappy oem stuff at the lower end, but then some oem stuff can be good depending on the original manufacturer but then finding bout out about them is near impossible!!!

Maybe try to reinstall the drivers for the Pro40?? Just guessing, but doesn't hurt.

Did that thanks! No luck, I sense its a problem with the pci card as the light on the focusrite should light up even if there are not drivers installed to show its synced..

I think your right. But I am trying to get a name brand and thought belkin would be good.. The pcmcia card I gt to replace my no name brand one seemed pretty good, and they are recommended on the Focusrite website.. But I tend to agree I do not see what else it could be it should just work.. Man gotta take it back out and put my old sound card back in! ou know how many times I have done this!! lol.. Mayb I will buy a pci card from an actual shop this time, I think i am loosing faith with ebay, so many problems with it recently!!

Any advice on a good TI chipset PCI fire wire card? Also I am very low on cash

Many people advocate the use of a TI chipset. I have firewire cards in two pcs and a laptop, and they all have VIA chipsets. I have not experienced any problem* with these with Presonus. The last one I bought was about $30 AUS, so it ought to be cheaper where you are. It is worth considering.

* I have more problems with the noise generated by laptops and many current PC motherboards!

I just bought another fire wire card from my local shop down the road. Exactly the same problem! So it must be my mother board or something. Very annoying!!!!! I have contacted the manufacturer... :-(

I tried to look in the bios for something to turn on the fire wire. no luck..

In PC wizard it says there is a fire wire bus: FW322/323 IEEE1394 OHCI FireWire Controller

not sure where this is to turn it on. But the fact that the mother board is detecting the pci card at all means somethings working???

Many people advocate the use of a TI chipset. I have firewire cards in two pcs and a laptop, and they all have VIA chipsets. I have not experienced any problem* with these with Presonus. The last one I bought was about $30 AUS, so it ought to be cheaper where you are. It is worth considering.

* I have more problems with the noise generated by laptops and many current PC motherboards!

Yeah I have heard that via are ok too. i think ricoch (not sure how to spell it) are the worst..

Maybe way too simple but I find Firewire to be very fussy of the the switch on order. I have to have my interface switched on and connected up to the audio sources, connect it to the computer and only then boot the PC. If I try it the other way around, it doesn't detect my interface. (Not Belkin but I'm using a TI chipset as well and an M-Audio interface).

Bob

Do you have any local computer repair shops. I ended up getting a used card with a TI chipset for $5 from a store just down the road from me after spending weeks looking for a card at some of the bigger retailers. I think us home recorders are the only ones that give a crap about FW chipsets.

Like gecko I also have a presonus product and they mention very specific chipsets on their site, TI and VIA,

Maybe way too simple but I find Firewire to be very fussy of the the switch on order. I have to have my interface switched on and connected up to the audio sources, connect it to the computer and only then boot the PC. If I try it the other way around, it doesn't detect my interface. (Not Belkin but I'm using a TI chipset as well and an M-Audio interface).

Bob

Ok thanks I didnt think to try that mate!! Shame if its fussy like that as i do not get that problem on my laptop? I had an Alesis io26 before and that was extremely fussy and unstable..
I will try now! Cheers! :-)

Noooooooo!!!!

I realy thought that might help! :-(

I am getting really upset about this I have to finish this project!

PLease someone magicly teleport a good ghost in the machine into my computer to fix this.. :-(

Fire wire sucks its just always sooo unstable I wish I just got a USB one, they were not on the market with 16 inputs when I got my interface. Now there a whole bunch.
But they would probably not have the amazing routing software, build quality and pre amps of the Focusrite.. damn darn dang

I am contacting the mobo manufacturer..

Any suggestions would be much appreciated ..

Last edited:
Do you have any local computer repair shops. I ended up getting a used card with a TI chipset for $5 from a store just down the road from me after spending weeks looking for a card at some of the bigger retailers. I think us home recorders are the only ones that give a crap about FW chipsets.

Like gecko I also have a presonus product and they mention very specific chipsets on their site, TI and VIA,

It is the Ti chipset... said in first post.
Cheers anyway, I did end up getting another card from a local shop second hand for £5 (also said in a post)..

No one got any ideas really?
Anyone know if there is something I need to do to the mother board to turn on the fire wire?

I put in a fire wire camera and that didnt work either so its definitely the computer end that there is a problem not the audio interface.

I solved the problem on my own like usual, I went inti device manager and forced it to load the Texas Instruments drivers that are built into the os by right clicking upadate drtivers, choose the drivers to install and there they were in a list. For some reason windows defaults to some stupid HS sd Sensor crap.. AAny way its all working now with my new computer I am super chuffed!!! :-)

Back