Need Help Identifying a Mystery Audio Problem

NotAnEngineer44

Hello! I posted last month and you were all excellent help. I am a voice host producer but not an expert with audio (experience stems from general producing). Hosts connect via a USB mic and livestream with their voice to narrate a card game. I have a remote working host that I cannot identify her audio problem. The ends of her words keep getting clipped by static.

We have tried replacing the mic. We have tried unplugging any superfluous devices that may be causing interference. Is this an internet issue perhaps? Too weak of a computer?

Audio example attached.

Thank you all!

Hello! I posted last month and you were all excellent help. I am a voice host producer but not an expert with audio (experience stems from general producing). Hosts connect via a USB mic and livestream with their voice to narrate a card game. I have a remote working host that I cannot identify her audio problem. The ends of her words keep getting clipped by static.

We have tried replacing the mic. We have tried unplugging any superfluous devices that may be causing interference. Is this an internet issue perhaps? Too weak of a computer?

Audio example attached.

Thank you all!

What exact equipment are you using. It sounfs like clipping to me. Maybe try backing down the gain on the mics input.

Looking at the sample you posted, I don't think it's clipping because it occurs in places where there is not a lot of level. I'm more inclined to look at buffer overruns. If the computer is off doing other tasks, and the audio buffer gets full, it will drop data. That is a fundamental weakness of the USB system vs Thunderbolt. If you've ever had your mouse stutter when you were moving it, that's what is occurring.

I would look at the settings for the audio device and see if there is a buffer setting. I've heard this kind of thing before when I experimented with how low I could set my buffers before I got data loss.

Driopouts.jpg

Historically the things that caused stutters in USB audio were,...

Leaving Windows Sounds (those ******g bleeps and clangs) active.

Graphics card wrong type or where it is integrated with the CPU. Not a lot you can do!

Not using ASIO audio drivers. Oh! you can't! Might try ASO4all but hold out little hope.

Turn off Wireless internet. Oh ***t!

The internal sound card. Once again "OH!"

FWIIW I regularly run Skype for a coupe of hours at a stretch with son in France sans and clicks or other issues. My rig is a headset connected to USB via a dongle. Son's end is a USB mic and a MOTU interface to speakers. My PC is this Lenovo T510. His a Lenovo T430 Both on Win 10.

Dave.

I'd also go with buffer issues - It's not static in any sense, so if you are doing internet searches, it won't bring back sensible results. In real terms you have gaps in the data stream. They can often be the result of a computer trying to do multiple similar processes at the same time. What are you using for the system - in terms of software and presumably some kind of host that handles connections and distribution? Searching for internet audio streaming dropouts brings up loads of responses with similar responses to here?

Clearly this is common and the suggestions always start with buffering, but also the speed of wifi connections, how the wifi stream is managed, conflicting services on the far computer - bluetooth gets a mention too. Conflicts where despite having a proper audio interface, the computer switches from the ASIO to generic high latency drivers and at the switch you get the silence or breakups. I've read where a computer had spotify running in the background and this kept hijacking the stream. I guess your remote person needs to check on their computer and see what processes are running in the background. If any are audio based - so the spotifys, the apple musics and stuff like that are prime culprits. Is the remote person using a music type computer or some low performance laptop that is trying to convert 48K, 24 bit into something else in real time to use a particular application? If your other contributors are trouble free, the the dodgy one needs some proper local input, where things can be tried and adjusted. It sounds like they're clueless and are stabbing in the dark. I doubt you can fix it unless you set up some kinf of screen sharing, and that could simply add to the computer's stress levels.

NOT! That I am ANY kind of expert here but buffer issues, clicks and stutters in reproduction only affect a REPLAY system surely? That then would be the OP's playback but is clearly not the case because he only gets the problem with one lady.

Therefore I am thinking if she has some sort of noise gate setup in her system?

It is hard enough for us to 'remotely' diagnose people's problems of their own. To do so for a person once removed is bloody near impossible!

Dave.

The buffers should also effect the input process. It would help tremendously to know her actual equipment involved ( computer/processor and software)

Back