why my song sounds bad after uploading to youtube?

dontouch

Hi I'm one of those who recorded everything in the basement with a computer and a firepod. I recently uploaded a song to youtube and it really sounded flat and muddy. All my tracks were professionally mastered. Some people say it's youtube compression but I noticed a lot of other artists' stuff, some of them probably home-made, can manage to sound open and clear on youtube. I'm sure my problem is pretty common among amateur DIYers. Nonetheless, it's frustrating as hell...Was it during the recording? or the mixing? What usually cause the flat, muddy and monotonic sound? How come some of us can make a good recording by just using a macbook and garageband? Please share your experience and thought! Thanks in advance.

Just because they were professionally mastered doesnt really mean anything...for one they could have mastered poor mixes, they maybe poor mastering engineers...I think YouTube is merely a publicity tool at best and something for click whores at worst

Im not sure what quality you are uploading onto youtube but unless there is a problem with the actual track i dont think it should suck all the life out of it

I did this one and although its not great quality its perfectly listenable, not flat or muddy I think

(103 views...stardom beckons lol )

Ive also heard RayCs stuff on Utube and it sounds good as well

for something more objective host a 320kbps mix in the mix clinic and let a few of the regulars have a listen...it maybe that the problems lies with the original product

Chilli and Ido do youtube vids...check them out in the clinic too, theyre very good quality

I recently uploaded a song to youtube and it really sounded flat and muddy.

YouTube applies lossy compression to the audio portion of a video. This is in addition to the lossy compression used when you rendered the video file initially. If you upload a video that's high definition (720p), YouTube will compress the audio less. So if you use at least 256 kbps for the audio when rendering the video, and the video itself is HD, the audio will probably end up sounding okay.

--Ethan

I have a few videos on Youtube. I uploaded Waves. Or, I should say... when I made the videos, I used a wav for the audio. Does Youtube bring it down enough to notice a big loss in quality?

What usually cause the flat, muddy and monotonic sound? .

Two things:
1. Over-compressing the initial tracks, by the time they make it to the master its like someone put 10 wet blankets over them. I dont compress anytracks in the initial mix, with the exception of vox. compression = styfling. no compression = air.

2. Poorly mixed low and hi pass filtering during mixing, tracks contain unwanted artifacts that use up headroom and cause masking. Your mix should be as clear and clean and airy as possible ( and not loud ) before it goes to the mastering. The mix I just described can be slammed/boosted/loudenated the most (presuming thats what you want) when it gets mastered.

I did this one and although its not great quality its perfectly listenable, not flat or muddy I think

Where did you dig up the video footage from?
I'm looking at some of the traffic clips...and those cars/busses gotta be from the late '70s! :D
But it's still good.

I've been thinking about making a video, but it seems like a lot of hassle for 20 views.
My videos aren't really videos. Besides 2 vids that my girlfriend made for me a while back, I put up about 15 of my tunes on YouTube. But they're just the song with my website on the screen. Nothing to look at, really.

I've been thinking about making a video, but it seems like a lot of hassle for 20 views.
Eh, but you don't do it for the pageviews, you do it for the artistic expression. :laughings:

Seriously, though, if you need help, let me know.... :) Making a video is a ton of fun!!

Oh, and for the OP's question; I found there is a big difference between 360 and 480 as far as audio quality is concerned.

Thanks for the nice words, KC!!

Last edited:
Hey, I wouldn't ask a guy for his GF... :D ...but if the videos of her are good... :)

;)

The Ecstasy Channel does an amateur time slot...but it's like $12 to see one video. :p

(I'm just kidding around...hope you're not too sensitive about your GF...some guys really can be.)

Hey, I wouldn't ask a guy for his GF... :D ...but if the videos of her are good... :)

;)

Hehe!:D

Nah, the videos she made are great. But the songs and recordings are a few years old, and not something I'd encourage anyone to listen to. You know how it is. I can't even listen to stuff I did 2 months ago.

Hehe!:D

Nah, the videos she made are great. But the songs and recordings are a few years old, and not something I'd encourage anyone to listen to. You know how it is. I can't even listen to stuff I did 2 months ago.

C'mon man, don't sell yourself short, you know your tunes are good and will be many years down the road.

Back