EQ'ing :(

sk8a123

As much as I love recording my music, they greatly suffer from lack of eq'ing. I almost know nothing about eq'ing. I have looked up many articles on how to eq but none have seemed to help. So if anybody knows a place where it can teach me step by step how to eq I would GREATLY appreciate it

Hi, do yourself a favour and download this FREE VST. It is one of most musical Eq's you will find and that's what counts yeah ? Be sure to read the accompanying pdf.

screenshot2.png

Make a unique copy of each preset before you edit as any adjustments you make will automatically overwrite.

Try the "sophisticated" preset on vocals. It can transform a dynamic mic :)

The only scientific rule you really need to remember is to roll off the low end around 120 Hz for anything that is not an intended bass instrument. Some mixing guys go all the way up to 170 Hz with their roll offs. This creates a tight mix then when slammed in master compression - wont sound muddy.

As much as I love recording my music, they greatly suffer from lack of eq'ing. I almost know nothing about eq'ing. I have looked up many articles on how to eq but none have seemed to help. So if anybody knows a place where it can teach me step by step how to eq I would GREATLY appreciate it
You don't "learn to EQ" -- You need to learn to listen and learn the EQ. Then (and only then), the process itself is automatic.

Hmm interesting enough I've had this plugin for quite some time. This post helps but I still have NO IDEA on what eq is. As in, in know the defintion of eq. But frequncys confuse the crap out of me

Ok, you have the plugin. Great :)...

Are you using it ? Can you not hear the differences when adjusting settings ?

I can very much hear the difference. I guess to clarify my problem would be.... I've recorded my guitar and while listening to the playblack , something in the low frequency will randomly get extremely loud then quiet down

I can very much hear the difference. I guess to clarify my problem would be.... I've recorded my guitar and while listening to the playblack , something in the low frequency will randomly get extremely loud then quiet down

Ok, could be some resonance could be the way you played it. Do you have access to Cool Edit 2.0 ? ( its free if you look around ). Load up the wav and switch to spectral view.

If you want to keep the low freq's in then the only way to tame it is with frequency band compression.

Here is what I think you need to do.

Change the way you think. Instead of saying "I need to EQ this track." You need to be thinking "What is it that I hear that needs to be changed?" Then, when you identify a problem, think systematically about what to change it. "My rhythm guitar sounds muddy." Ok, then think about what frequencies might be muddying it up. Or could a simple pan fix it? Is it muddy from the tracking technique? Retrack it. Remember, a lot of EQ problems can be solved with effective mic techniqu. (I said a lot, not all, I'm not saying don't EQ.)

And I have to respectfully disagree with using presets. You won't really learn what is going on if you use them. Just my thoughts.

Hmm interesting enough I've had this plugin for quite some time. This post helps but I still have NO IDEA on what eq is. As in, in know the defintion of eq. But frequncys confuse the crap out of me

When they first started making movies with sound, they only used 1 mic. Since people talk at different volumes, they had to go over the film and boost the volume when people with soft voices talked, and drop it for the loud voices. They had to "equalize" the volumes. That's where it came from.

You've probably had a stereo with treble and bass controls... that's all eq is... it's partial volume controls.

The thing I learned most about eq was that I try to avoid it. Don't think "you have to use it". I always aim to not use it. Most of my best tracks have no eq. I only use it if my ear says to.

And I have to respectfully disagree with using presets. You won't really learn what is going on if you use them. Just my thoughts.

I will respectfully say it doesnt make a difference. If someone is a learner they are a learner they wont just stop at a preset. A well made set of presets is a useful aid.

If someone is a learner they are a learner they wont just stop at a preset.
Good point, sir.

A well made set of presets is a useful aid.
I think I disagree, but it's not worth an "argument." I don't really use computers anyway, so I don't use plugs etc. I just prefer people get their hands dirty first, learn the ins and outs first, then give themselves shortcuts later. Just my $.02 and it's not the only way.

I think I disagree, but it's not worth an "argument." I don't really use computers anyway, so I don't use plugs etc. I just prefer people get their hands dirty first, learn the ins and outs first, then give themselves shortcuts later. Just my $.02 and it's not the only way.

Lol. Saying you disagree then saying you are not going to argue ( regardless of magnitude ) then going on to make your argument is...well... that's not on. :cool:

I use computers and tech. Love it all. Very fast results. If you have a well made set of presets that you can A/B and tweak and just get a general feel for how a traditional sound is achieved then that has to be a good thing. I am sure every analogue mixing dude out there didnt just jump right in without some direction from some authority at some point. One could consider any acquired mixing advice as a starting point or "preset" :)

Last edited:
I try not to use EQ in my recordings also, but what I was told about adjusting an EQ is to bring the slider or knob what ever you have and raise it until you hear the freqeuncy, then slide or turn it down until you don't hear the frequency. What ever frequency you turn up will have a harsh sound, turn the frequency down until the harsh sound goes away. You could make small adjustments or large adjustments or none at all.

I try not to use EQ in my recordings also, but what I was told about adjusting an EQ is to bring the slider or knob what ever you have and raise it until you hear the freqeuncy, then slide or turn it down until you don't hear the frequency. What ever frequency you turn up will have a harsh sound, turn the frequency down until the harsh sound goes away. You could make small adjustments or large adjustments or none at all.

question: why do you try to not use EQ? I don't see how it can hurt. (not arguing, just asking)

When they first started making movies with sound, they only used 1 mic. Since people talk at different volumes, they had to go over the film and boost the volume when people with soft voices talked, and drop it for the loud voices. They had to "equalize" the volumes. That's where it came from.

What you're describing is normalizing dialogue levels.

The term "equalization" came from telephone systems where over long distances there would be losses in level that were unequal across the frequency spectrum. A filter set would be applied that would equalize the frequency response.

question: why do you try to not use EQ? I don't see how it can hurt. (not arguing, just asking)

Cuz the best way is to get THE SOUND at tracking.
Spending more time with finding the right setup AT the source, the right mic for the source, mic placement etc...

But...I use EQ on every one of my tunes. Not a lot on anything but small increments on several tracks of each song. Just whatever it needs it gets.

A point tho....try subtractive EQ first before ya boost. ;)

Last edited:
Back